Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Fitness Events

Does anybody do these? If so, do you like doing them? If not, is it something that you're interested in trying - or is it the opposite and you think these fitness people are all nuts? Would the thought of registration fees going to charity or some other type of nonprofit motivate you?

My wife has been running 5Ks for the past few years and for the past few I've done 1-2 noncompetitive group rides. We do them for completely self-gratifying motives. I'm trying to get my wife into the biking more because the running is starting to take its toll on her joints.

This month I've ridden about 30 miles over the course of two consecutive weekends. My goal is to get fit enough to ride a 50 mile ride by the fall. These first two were "primers" whose only rewards were free beers and t-shirts to wear to the gym. My wife had to skip the bike rides because she had to travel for work and ran a 6 mile relay yesterday in the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. The weather wasn't the best, but I prefer the cooler temperatures.

The goal this year for me is to

1: get my wife back on her bike. She hasn't been on her "new" bike this year and the jogging and boot camp are starting to give her joint pain. Cycling is low impact/endurance exercise.

EDIT: I'd be remiss to add that I've seen a lot of people in their 60s and 70s - and a bunch of us who are "pear-shaped" doing cycling events.

2: to get fit enough to hang with her spin class - and maybe even put them to shame.

3: ride the 40 mile (or more) option on a closer to home event by the end of the year. The two events I've ridden so far were for less than 20 miles each and I'm feeling unfulfilled. "Bridges and Vines" (which benefits the United Way) is in early August in northeast Ohio and there are 13, 25, 39, 65 or even 103 mile options. "Pedal Pittsburgh" (organized by BiikePGH and promotes bicycle accessibility in the city) is in late August with a 40 or 62 mile option through various sections of Pittsburgh withing city limits. The "3-2-1" Ride (sponsored by UPMC Health Plan and benefits cancer research) covers pretty much the same routes in October.

4: this is a "bucket list" item: I want to sign us up for the "Bike to the Beach" ride (aka The Florida Ride for AUTISM & disABILITIES which benefits autism related charities in Florida) down route A1A from Key Largo to Key West. It's usually held in February every year and benefits autism charities in Florida. If not that, then there's "Cycling For Autism" in Tampa every May. We just missed it this year. I'd love to see my in-laws get involved or at least show some support. If not, there's always the annual Eagles Autism Challenge ride held every May in Philadelphia. I would have to wear my black and gold but would proudly do it because it would benefit other autism families closer to home.

Anyway, enough about me. What about you guys? What kind of fitness do you like to do for fun (I'll even throw golf into the mix even though it's not really a sport ;o) ) and what can you do to make it more than just for you?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I don't.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:50 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I could probably wear one of my wife's bras so no, I don't do fitness events
Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
I could probably wear one of my wife's bras so no, I don't do fitness events

Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Super Nice Dad

I have been wanting to do a 5k then some sort of Mud Run/spartan race but always seem to get injured playing hockey or doing something stupid.

A buddy of mine had a stroke and then went all crazy doing Spartans. I give him credit, he's doing 8 Spartans this year and let's just say he does not have the typical Spartan body. Every time he posts I feel like quoting "I thought you'd be thinner" (think Road House with Patrick Swayze, lol)

Maybe a visual would be better, this was recent after doing over 8 hours at some Spartan race.

HockeySave.com