Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Baltimore Barge

Just finished my first book this year - "the last american man' about a southern Appalachain dude (still living) who literally lives off the land and has crazy unbelievable adventures like riding a horse across the US eating roadkill and sleeping wherever.

pd

They grow up so fast, but it seems to take a long time....
Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

This made me sadder than anything I have read this week apart from Marion's posts about his foster kids.

From Terry Pratchett's web site:

Quote:
AN EMBUGGERANCE

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early
onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of "Nation" and the basic notes are already being laid down for "Unseen Academicals." All other things being equal, I
expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet.

PS: I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this may be further off than you think - it's too soon to tell. I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.
:(
Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Dad+Student=Gray Hair!

I finally took a break from the textbooks & studying and pounded through:

I was a fan of the show during it's early years, so I thought I would check into it. It was a fun read, nothing mid-expanding, nothing special, just a good 6 hour diversion.

If you like the show, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you may only find it mildly interesting at best.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Super Daddy

I was hoping to find a thread like this. I've actually discovered that being a sahd has allowed me a lot more time to read. I don't get burnt out reading for work, so I actually like to read now when the kids are down. Since staying home I've been reading 30-40 books/year.

I just finished reading "Blaze" by Richard Bachman (Stephen King). It was fair yet somewhat predictable and I was hoping for a much more depressing ending. I think if King has a big fault it is that he is a poor closer. I love most of his tales, but I'm often disappointed with the endings.

Before that I read "Loving Frank". It is historical fiction about Frank Lloyd Wright and his mistress and has a very sad ending (and that part is true). It was a decent read (probably because I'm an architect that was taught to worship the man, not that I did), but a little feminine for my liking.

Anyway, I'm now reading "The Island of the Sequined Love Nun" by Christopher Moore. He is a very funny, insane, vulgar writer that leaves me in stitches. He reminds me a bit of Douglas Addams with the bizarre situations and tying obscure events together. I believe someone mentioned him also. I've read most of his books and am now finishing the last few.

I've been struggling to find new authors to read and I got a few ideas from your posts. Thanks. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Oh, and another of my favorite authors I did not see mentioned was R.A. Salvatore. He is a fantasy writer in the D&D type genre. (Yes, I certainly have some nerd tendencies) I especially like his books featuring the charater Drizzt. If fantasy is your thing, I highly recommend them.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Very few writers make me laugh out loud while reading, but Moore is one of them!

"The world is full of guys. Don't be a guy; be a man."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club."
Old 12-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Trophy Husband

Got a little catching up to do. A couple of months ago I read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. It was a true story about how so called "hot viruses" slipped in to the country and were detected to be living in a monkey house out side if Washington D.C. back in the 90's. For those of you who are into medicine you will enjoy it. It gave a pretty good insight as to different government department responsibilities that most of us take for granted everyday.

Another book I just finished was "Write It When I Am Gone" by Thomas DeFrank. DeFrank, who was the beat reporter for Newsweek covering Vice President Gerald Ford back during the Watergate scandal in the 70's. Ford says something to DeFrank during an interview that he should not have concerning the Nixon impeachment period. As payback for DeFrank not disclosing it to the press, Ford agrees to let DeFrank interview him 2-3 times a year for the rest of his life off the record and write a book about their conversations after Ford dies. I was a teenager during the Watergate scandal and paid attention to the story intermittently. The book does not dwell on Watergate but gives a pretty clear picture of what was going on behind the scenes at that time. I was amazed at how Ford and all the other living Presidents with him are still involved in public policy and called on by sitting Presidents for their views and opinions on hot topics. The book also shows how Ford was not really the stumbling fool portrayed by Chevy Chase on SNL and how he embraced the media which is rare today. The days of civilized politicians like Ford are gone I am sad to say. Politicians like him get pushed aside today.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Custom User Title

Finally picked up Into the Wild that sao sent me and started reading. 6 chapters into it and it's really good. Anybody that wants to read it next I'll pass it along. PM me your address.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
JimP

Currently reading "Fireworks" by Jeff Cooper.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Twilight at Monticello" by Alan Crawford. It tells of the final years of Thomas Jefferson's life after his Presidency back in his home state of VA. It was amazing what he accomplished back in the early 1830's at an advanced age. What really stuck with me is that upon death he left his family sacked with $150,000 of debt. He was always in denial of his personal financial misfortunes. When I first started the book I did not think I would want to finish it. In the end it turned out to be a pretty good read.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Just glad to be here

Just finished reading "Life As We Knew It", a novel by Susan Beth Pfeffer, about a family trying to survive a catastrophic event. It's well-written and a quick read. Another post-apocolyptic tale.