Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Game Lounge > Xbox/Wii/PC
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Super Daddy

Default Wii...

My wife went to Best Buy this morning at 8:30 (they open at 9) to get a new digital camera as a christmas gift for my mom, and her brother...nice camera btw :
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140393352574

Anyhoo, she said there was 100+ people in line, blankets etc..
She thought they were all trying to get a camera...:D
Come to find out, it was for the new Nintendo Wii game....anyone buy one of these? Even at $250, it better be pretty good to play in the arena with the x-box and ps3...especially since x-box is supposed to lower the price...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDAD
Even at $250, it better be pretty good to play in the arena with the x-box and ps3...especially since x-box is supposed to lower the price...
The Xbox is $300 at Best Buy for the core system, $400 for the enhanced one. The Nintendo is the lowest priced choice.

Were *I* buying, I'd get the Wii because the system is cheaper, the games are cheaper (around $30 to $50 compared to ps3), and I'm not a hardcore gamer, so it seems like it would be just as good for the type of casual family gaming that I might get into. Which I will at some point.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I've thought about getting a Wii. The graphics aren't up to par with the 360 or PS3. Nintendo's gimmick is a motion controller. You hold two remotes that look like a TV remote and if your playing a tennis game, you swing the controllers to hit the ball instead of pressing a button. Shooting a gun? Hold the left controller out in front of you to aim and pull the trigger on the right controller to fire. It doesn't play movies but you can download all of those Nintendo games (Mario anyone?)from your youth.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 AM
It's too quiet!

I'm actually thinking of getting the Wii for ourselves. I like the controller too. Also, Nintendo's games tend to a little more G-rated. Something a 5 year old girl might enjoy.

The target audience for Wii is non hard core gamers, girls, and people who otherwise play games (read Old People). Since we're old people with a little girl, it might be a good choice for us.

I hate those controllers for PS and Xbox. Sitting there endlessly pressing buttons - uh!

I'll keep the shoot-em-ups on my PC for now.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:38 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

nintendo has for the most part always focused on the younger gamers. mario zelda and so on. They have always had a few big titles but left most of the bigger titles to ps and xbox. I definitely prefer my pc for gaming but second choice would be the xbox for its superior graphics and such.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 11-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Super Daddy

Microsoft has supposedly lowered the xbox core system to $256 in Japan, I'm sure it will follow suit here soon:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=35009
Definetly better for the hard core gamer. I have had (actually still have a n64) a couple Nintendo systems in the past, and they do seem to target younger audiences...no bloody shoot em up games. I currently have the ps2, I bought it beacuse of the HUGE library of games, from Dora to Doom...so far I have been happy with the selection and performance. Not really sure of the xbox library, but when my ps2 was bought (pre xbox 360), they were still pretty new, and didn't have many to choose from.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Super Duper Daddy

While I have not checked prices myself, I have heard that the PS 3 is actually cheaper in the long run by the time you buy all the accessories and everything for the other systems that the PS 3 can do and already includes.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:50 AM
Super Duper Daddy

But if you get one of those other systems, do you *need* to buy all of those things in the long run to just play games? I don't know, just asking.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

really the only thing that ps3 has over xbox360 is the blu ray.. but frankly if I want to watch movies I have a dvd player if i want to game I will have a platform or pc...they try too much to intermingle the technologies driving up the costs. I would think if they dropped some of the technology from the system it would sell faster and more of it. Problem is now, just the high demand for ps3 and wii as they just came out. Manufacturers are always short on what the public wants. They know it will see, dont ship one box to each store, mass produce and get the cash in.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviomossa
But if you get one of those other systems, do you *need* to buy all of those things in the long run to just play games? I don't know, just asking.
When Sony makes those comparisons they're assuming that you want to watch Hi-Def movies with you machine. Sony has it's Blu-Ray player built in (the complexity of manufacturing these players is the reason for the PS3's delays and low launch numbers, btw) and you have to buy the HD-DVD player seperately for the 360 ($200). The PS3 comes with a hard drive, 20 gig or 60 gig. The 360 takes a more modular approach. The Core system doesn't come with a hard-drive, the Premium does. A 360 hard drive costs $100 and it snaps right in. You need the hard-drive to use Microsoft's online service, Xbox Live. If you don't care about online gaming at all, the Core system is good enough.