Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2020, 01:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I cut notches in the back of the vanity for the plumbing supply lines. It's not pretty but it is what it is. You can't see it from the front and it didn't compromise the structural integrity.

Today I have to mount the underhung sinks to the quartz countertop. Fun fun fun.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 11-30-2020, 05:58 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, I bet just about all of vanaties made need additional modifications for installs due to plumbing and they usually are noy pretty but unseen.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, I bet just about all of vanaties made need additional modifications for installs due to plumbing and they usually are noy pretty but unseen.
I'm sure. I'm all about cutting corners so in all honesty it really doesn't bother me.

Anyway, the sinks are affixed to the the underside of the counter top with sealant and brackets. I should finish up the plumbing tomorrow but I can at least mount the counter tonight. Then it's just baseboards and hanging the mirror.

Of course, the toilet also needs a new floater valve...
Old 12-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I've replaced all the old corroded water supply valves with new quarter turn models and swapped out the tank valve on the toilet. The baseboards and door trim are all back up - except for inside the closet. I'm preparing to liquid nail the countertop into place.

PS: there has been an unanticipated SNAFU. The presence of a drawer beneath the sinks means that space for the P trap is at a premium. Naturally, the builders of my house made the wall access points for the drain pipe too low so the P trap will be resting on the cabinet base.

Last edited by Kwak; 12-02-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Vanity is done. The bathroom is now fully functional. I still have to build a recessed cabinet where the nasty old medicine cabinet used to be:

The interior of the cabinet is a tight squeeze for the P traps though. The P trap for the left sink fit with a little flexing but it's basically touching the base of the cabinet. Note the collars on the supply lines. They pretty much cover up the awkward cuts:

The right sink however required this mess to get everything lined up:

Old 12-03-2020, 02:10 AM
Trophy Husband

Nice clean finish right down to the escutcheons. The left trap made it by a hair, The right trap is a bit sketchy. Is that flex pipe to code? The set up looks gravity defying. I assume that outlet on the right is GFI. The room looks great. I hope you Christened the crapper!
Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM
Just Dad

It looks good, Kwak. There are other ways to have done the drain, but it looks good. At least the builders didn't make the drains too high.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Nice clean finish right down to the escutcheons. The left trap made it by a hair, The right trap is a bit sketchy. Is that flex pipe to code? The set up looks gravity defying. I assume that outlet on the right is GFI. The room looks great. I hope you Christened the crapper!
Code? What's code, really? The flex tube may not be to code but it works. We'll see in about a month when I have to fish hair out of it.

I spent a good part of the day making sure everything is taped so that it and tight so that it doesn't leak. As for the crapper. We have his/hers bathrooms again so we don't have to argue about who left the toilet seat up. My toilet is nicer anyway; hers has a round bowl and a wimpy flush. If I want to take a Donald Dump in mine there's no need for a second flush. As Mel Brooks said in History of the World, "it's good to be the king!"

I like her choice of spigots though; they're Pfisters. So are mine. They are so much better than that Glacier Bay, American Standard or Delta crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
It looks good, Kwak. There are other ways to have done the drain, but it looks good. At least the builders didn't make the drains too high.
A half inch higher would have been nice on the right sink but I didn't want to cut into the wall like the "carnies" who built the house did 30 years ago. I had a nice long masked chat with the guy working the plumbing dept. at Home Depot and this was pretty much the only option we could think of with what he had in stock. He was incredulous that I needed a 1&1/2" drain pipe but after I divulged to him that my house was built by the least reputable of the three cookie cutter developers in the area he was wholly sympathetic.

BTW, I had to go to Home Depot three times and after three trips to Lowes' for the supplies for the tile floor and nearly got in a fight there because apparently the other guy went to Pitt and I was wearing my Penn State ball cap. All I know is that I as waiting in a line for 15 minutes and he just waltzes right in front of me. He had a cart full of stuff for his own bathroom renovation and hag his 15 year old son in tow so I figure he had his own problems so I just stared him down and said "buddy, I'm not here to give you any more problems than you already seem to have."

Now I prefer to do curbside where I can just sit in my car and remotely pop/close the hatch. I'm sick of dealing with people. That's why I do all this stuff on my own; contractors can bitch about times being tough but ultimately they work on their own schedules - meaning that this project would either have taken longer or have been done quick and shabby. This one is slow and shabby, but I take payment out in trade.

Last edited by Kwak; 12-03-2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Code? What's code, really? The flex tube may not be to code but it works. We'll see in about a month when I have to fish hair out of it.

I like her choice of spigots though; they're Pfisters. So are mine. They are so much better than that Glacier Bay, American Standard or Delta crap.

Yikes! I remember going to my local Plumbing supply store on Long Island and looking at the "code violation of the month" pictures that contractors could win money on. Too funny.

I will refrain from the Phister joke.

The drain in question looks like the Jiffy Lube logo.

Last edited by Mark B.; Yesterday at 12:13 AM.