Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Two quick flicks, brother. Two quick flicks. Watch out for the spray.

um...
I'm walking away now.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
two quick flicks, brother. Two quick flicks. Watch out for the spray.

Um...
I'm walking away now.
lol.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

BTW, don't choke those chickens. Be humane about it. One fell stroke, no more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I imagine it's all in the wrist, but would probably appreciate it if you spared us the details!
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Beer me!

Hey speaking of chickens. 3 1/2 walls on the coop! Just have the clean out door to finish and they girls can start pooping all over it. I still have to get the wire cloth on the run part, but its coming together. Even using the measure once cut three times method it looks ok! Better than that shed posted earlier anyway. :D
Old 10-26-2017, 01:11 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Scrubbed all the toilets and sinks/vanities in the bathrooms by 9 am.

Think I'm done for the day. Who I am fooling? The day has just begun.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

This week I finished 99% of the carpentry portion of this wainscoting project. For the chair rail I opted to go with the flat top anded add a piece of shoe molding to cover any gaps with the wall.

The uptake for the furnace was the tricky part because of the railing coming out the side. There was a gap between the wooden base of the railing and the wall that was formerly filled by a baseboard but I didn't want the edge of the wainscote panel to be exposed. My solution was sort of an "improvisation" that required some adjustments; I ended up cutting away at the oval molding on the end of the railing in order to slip the wainscoting trim underneath.

My only regret was using wood putty initially to fill the gaps. That was a big and messy mistake. I spent a good part of yesterday with a very unruly palm sander and made an even bigger mistake with a handheld belt sander that led to an extensive vacuuming and mopping session. From now on I am sticking with the caulking.

On another front - and I'm trying to be nice here - my wife has shown an interest in painting the back bedroom where her parents will be staying over the Thanksgiving holiday. Yay!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Trophy Husband

Git er done Kwakster! Pretty complicated. I just bought stock in DAP. Wow, a lot of joints to prep before paint. Good luck.

I danced with a Rug Dr. machine all day. 7 area rugs. Going to do 4 runners on the 4 stairs tomorrow. It's amazing what comes out of what looks to be pretty clean carpet.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks, Mark. I really hate DAP though. Not for the reasons you might think: I actually think itís CRAP that has made these projects harder.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Well, the bedroom is done - for now. I made the stupid mistake of taking all the furniture down two flights of stairs myself and had to have my sick wife help me with the dresser and the bulky queen sized double pillow top mattress. I had a full day planned to tackle the hallway bathroom but I'm hurting and just want to rest.

We ended up painting the room a similar color - and by "we" I mean that she helped finish the job but not the cleanup - and it's all ready for guests. I'm not a fan of the color but am happy that the boogers and divots in the wall are gone. This is all temporary though; this room will be Justin's at some point. I still intend to get some textured paneling - which the wife is fine with as long as I can paint it the same color; I have a whole other can because this only took one gallon of paint.

BTW, I wanted to point some details here that didn't show up well in the overall room pics. First, the window treatments. After the first half dozen windows I'm finally competent at mounting these blinds. Gone are the old curtain mounts but will likely be replaced with something feminine, which really irks me since this room used to be my office before being converted to Joey's nursery.

It's my favorite room of the house because it's warm and quiet with a bit of privacy. The trees outside have grown tall enough that the only squalor we can see outside is my own - and IMHO it isn't all that bad since we had the deck worked on (new rails and had an additional post added for stability) and I gave it a coat of tinted sealer.

I also opted to upgrade to "fancy" outlet and switch covers throughout most of the room. I even switched out the coaxial connection down below. Try not to notice the tan colors though; the outlets are getting old and many don't work so they need to be swapped out.

Overall the whole thing went relatively quickly for me. I did a bit of patching and filling which took an hour here and there over the course of several days because I HATE spackling - though I'm getting better at it. Painting was also relatively painless thanks to a neat little edger tool, though I had to go back and prime some spots after the first coat because I'd forgotten that paint doesn't stick well directly to joint compound. Still, that only took about 5-6 hours of work (including cleanup) because it's such a small room.

There's still work to be done though, and there's still evidence that this room has a history of being a kid's room. I just hope my wife doesn't decide that that would be a good place to put a true lighting housing because that would involve climbing up into the attack and digging into the spray insulation above.

Last edited by Kwak; 11-20-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Beer me!

That looks good! What's the edger tool you use? I haven't found one that works better than a steady hand yet.
Love the light, I hope you keep it up there.