Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Trophy Husband

Not rubbing it in at all GBdad. I cant stand David Wright. The guy just wont call he career quits. ITS OVER! The Mets should have kept Turner and Reyes. But the Mets wanted their Lilly white cover boy. What a mistake.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Diaper Jockey

I realize that sports, and baseball in particular, have an East Coast bias. You really can't deny it. And I get it. Major population center in the NE corridor. Numerous teams. Media center of the U.S. Don't really have a problem with it. I understand that the national Sunday night baseball game on ESPN is going to be the Yankees/Red Sox, or the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Nationals, Dodgers, Giants, perhaps the Cubs will be one of the participants in a national broadcast. But do we need to actively denigrate those of us in flyover country?

I listen to Casey Stern every afternoon on MLB Network radio on SiriusXM. He's a Mets fan and his thing this offseason has been, "You're not the Milwaukee Mets, you're the New York Mets. Act like it!" Get it. If you're in Milwaukee you can spend like it. But if you're in New York, spend like you're in New York. Unnecessary to take a shot at Milwaukee but point taken. But was just watching High Heat with Chris Russo on MLB Network. Brewers made an offer to Yu Darvish. So heading into a break Russo says, "When we come back we break down the Brewers. Bet you can't wait for that." What the hell! So he talks to the Brewers beat writer from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the Darvish thing and a couple other topics and then goes to his sidekick Bruce Schein. Talks about how once upon a time Darvish's suitors were the Yankees, Cubs, Astros, Rangers, and Dodgers - all of whom now seem to be out. "Has it come down to Milwaukee and Minnesota!!!" "Davish seems to want to pitch in a big market." Here's the kicker, "If he wants to play with a good team IN A GREAT CITY he may have to take less money."

I know the only "great cities" in America are New York, Chicago, and L.A., but eff you Russo!

Here's to a Milwaukee/Minnesota World Series where 8 million people in the entire world would care about it. And Russo and the New York media can have a sarcastic field day. Can hear Russo already, "World Series? What? That's not a world I want to live in if it only consists of Minnesota and Wisconsin!"

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Diaper Jockey

Kind of on the same note....The NFL sighed a collective exhale of relief when the Patriots came from behind and beat the Jags. For a while they were soiling their drawers that they could possibly have a Jacksonville/Minnesota Super Bowl.

Instead, we have two teams from major East Coast metropolitan areas and all is right with the world. As much as everyone is "sick of the Patriots," if they weren't in it all we would hear is how this Super Bowl isn't worth watching if either the Jags or Vikes got in there.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 01-23-2018, 02:04 AM
Trophy Husband

NY Superbowl from HELL! Jets and Giants fans both rooting against their rivals. Houses divided.

I love watching the refs march the Pats down the field at least once a game. The botched fumble call that should have been a Jags touchdown early second half was the biggest nail in the coffin. Let the guy run and you can review it later as ALL turnovers are.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 AM
Trophy Husband

I LOVE this piece.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/ref-co...y-theory-gold/
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Uhhhh, yeah....

Being from a “small market” whose team has had ancient historical success yet for the past generation has continually has fire sale salary dumps every trade deadline and offseason I don’t know if I completely buy into this idea. I guess if you look at the Dodgers who continually have the highest payroll, but really I’ve seen plenty of Midwest and Left Coast teams compete. So what is their prime time games are on too late? Baseball has historically been a daytime game anyways. Putting slow paced games on at night is an inherent snooze fest.

The long story short is that baseball is a money game played by rich people who treat players like trading cards - and the players (who seem to go on the DL for laughable reasons yet still pump substances into their body that no self respecting person would) buy into it for inflated “salaries.”

If the issue is under representation of certain geologically places or “populationally challenged” markets then perhaps they should take a cue from the NHL who doesn’t seem to have a problem putting competitive teams in markets from the middle of the frozen tundra to La La Land and make it an east/west Demi league with a point based ranking system over a win/loss model.

I know: ain’t gonna happen. The fat cat owners wouldn’t allow it and the the little lap dog smaller owners are fat on their table droppings.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007

Last edited by Kwak; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 PM
Diaper Jockey

HA! The network must have been in Russo's ear with a flood of hate mail from the upper Midwest. He did a 180 today. Essentially "We have two major free agent pitchers out there right now. Darvish and Arietta. If I were them I'd want to go to a place where I can make a big difference on a team that is right there on the verge of contending. Milwaukee and Minnesota fit that bill. I know Milwaukee has the image of being a little sleepy. But Milwaukee is a great town. Great fan base. Nice ballpark with a roof so you don't have to worry about the nasty early season weather. Darvish to Milwaukee. Ariettata to Minnesota. That's what I would do if I were them."

Funny!

Red Smith
Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Trophy Husband

GBDad, "Milwaukee is a little sleepy"?

Dude, that is like saying Arizona can be a little hot at times.

Sorry fellas, most free agents at the peak of his career, especially as a pitcher, wants a big market city with money to spend. These guys travel the country first class all summer long and the last thing they are thinking about is bringing their family to a place they won't be happy living in. That is paramount. Someone will pay them life altering money in a place they would be happy living in.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Diaper Jockey

I get it. I think everybody here gets it. Money aside we'll never land the A-List free agent because we're Milwaukee and they're New York, L.A., and Chicago. Just don't think the national media needs use "Milwaukee", or Pittsburgh, or Minnesota, or whatever other town that's less-than-NewYork as the adjective for all of which you don't want to be.

That's why when a Robin Yount comes along who passes on the money and glamour of New York or L.A. (both of whom wanted him after his 1989 MVP year) we put a statue up in your honor. Ryan Braun was on his way to a statue before the whole steroid thing. He signed off his arbitration years for a contract that essentially made him a Brewer for life when he could have gone anywhere else for more money. Which is why for all his character flaws he still a fan favorite around here. He may be a lying asshole. But he's our lying asshole.

Red Smith
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 AM
Trophy Husband

Brewers get Yekich from the Marlin's. Total player.