Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 04:30 AM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
I also need to print out a label to glue to the inside of the back and be seen from the soundhole. I just haven't decided what to call it yet.
Exciting to get to this stage. I'm really enjoying this thread and watching the process.

Can you combine parts of your boy's names to come up with a unique name?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Career SAHD

It's looking sweet Kwak. Great to see how you get by make a lot of clamps and tools yourself too. Nice work.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Today was a brisk December morning with frost on the rooftops and the furnace kicking on, reducing the RH to the mid-30% range. Perfect conditions actually to put the top on. After signing the underside of the soundboard and recording its tap tone one last time for posterity I did some final sanding of the tail and neck blocks to make sure that the angle right. Even if things aren't dead on at this point I can still still tweak things after the top is trimmed. :

At this point it was time start the day so I had to wait until after lunch to do the glue up.

Then I enlisted a little help with the go bars. He was adamant that he do one all by himself - even though I feared for his safety and the structural integrity of my ding-prone cedar top:

"It sounds like a drum, Daddy!"

That was right when I was supposed to be dropping him off at preschool; about 12:30PM. It's nearly 12 hours later and I'm itching to take the go bars out and pull the box out of the mold but I'll wait until tomorrow night.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I was just told by several in the online luthery community that the technical term for an acoustic guitar body with no top is a "boat". Now that the top is glued on though I'll be referring to it as "the box".
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Ooooffffff!!!

I went down to take the go bars off and noticed that one had failed. That's not the worst of it though. The top left bout didn't glue down well at all, and the sound board actually split due to bad placement of the go bars.

The break looks clean enough to glue up - provided it can take the stress. If not then I may have to reinforce or laminate it underneath somehow.

Thinking about it a little further though, I think that the break is a combination of too much overhang in the area and some expansion in the bracing underneath that caused the top to sit a little higher when the humidity increased. When I removed an adjacent gobar everything shifted and it cracked. I heard it but was in denial for a second or two before the F word erupted into my brain - but did not pass my lips.

Last edited by Kwak; 12-04-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Dad in Training

Kwak, AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Sorry to see this happen, especially after ALL your work. I hope glueing will do the trick for you, but yes, it does look like a clean crack -- can't even see it in the picture where you have it back in place and holding it with your finger.

I was excited when I saw there was a new post and thought, "YEASSSS the unveiling". Needless to say, I literally gasped (audibly) when I read that it cracked and saw the pictures. Rather heartbreaking, but I'm glad that it may be salvageable.

I'm absolutely amazed you didn't drop the F bomb. The air would have been very blue if that happened to me. I marvel, and am always astounded, at your high level of patience. Bravo!!!

I have to say, this thread is worse than a damn soap opera. LOL!!!! So now we have to wait even LONGER. LOL!!!!

Good luck with the repair and make sure you keep us posted to how you're doing it.

Last edited by Quiesco Viduata; 12-03-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
Rather heartbreaking, but I'm glad that it may be salvageable.

Good luck with the repair and make sure you keep us posted to how you're doing it.
This!

That sucks, but keep at it. It's a learning process and you've come this far!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Hehe - yeah, sorry for the drama but I'm learning as I go and I've never claimed to be an expert.

Look at it this way: there's a LOT of extra material that needs to be cut away to be flush with the sides and even then after that I will rout away more to put in wood binding and purfling strips. This latest break will actually only extend about 1/4" or so into the top of the guitar. Im more concerned about why things don't seem to be sitting flush. THAT'S a bigger issue since we're talking about a fit in the internal bracing that would have been solved easily had I discovered it before I glued the top on.

FWIW I have to look at it a little more and formulate a plan but I'm not discouraged at all. I just know that I can't rush it, that's all. I know it's frustrating to watch though. Again, sorry about that. I'm hoping that SOMETHING goes off without a hitch soon!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Career SAHD

Quote:
I'm learning as I go and I've never claimed to be an expert.
This is the part that's so cool, that you're willing to take it on without experience. I just showed our teenager some pics in your thread, told him this is your first try. He just said "Holy cow!" and " That's insane!" "That's amazing." His instrument is a trumpet, but he appreciates all instruments I think.

I'm sure you'll fix the split (I did the wince too). Gotta have some failures learning new stuff.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 AM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Hehe - yeah, sorry for the drama but I'm learning as I go and I've never claimed to be an expert.

Look at it this way: there's a LOT of extra material that needs to be cut away to be flush with the sides and even then after that I will rout away more to put in wood binding and purfling strips. This latest break will actually only extend about 1/4" or so into the top of the guitar. Im more concerned about why things don't seem to be sitting flush. THAT'S a bigger issue since we're talking about a fit in the internal bracing that would have been solved easily had I discovered it before I glued the top on.

FWIW I have to look at it a little more and formulate a plan but I'm not discouraged at all. I just know that I can't rush it, that's all. I know it's frustrating to watch though. Again, sorry about that. I'm hoping that SOMETHING goes off without a hitch soon!
Once again, your patience shine through. No, I wouldn't say reading this is frustrating, it's extremely interesting to see the process. That's great that you aren't disappointed by it. I was wondering how far the crack would be in once the top was cut down to size, so that's good that it's only 1/4".

Hope you find the issue of the uneven top and that it's an easy fix.