Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
So Pippa did her field trip, had lunch and completed her daily school assignments in less than an hour.
That's right. English test, Social studies, science lessons and Spanish speaking test all in an hour.
What the heck goes on in public school that takes all darn day?
She will have met her 3rd grade requirements come middle of May.
She's now with a private online academy.
Oh yeah, she hates school. Buts she's an A/B student, go figure.
She loves her stem Co-op and Arts co-op, horsey academy and ballet though.
Did she like the factory tour? I'm guessing not.

FWIW in the back of the gift store is a door to a small room filled with pretty much every model of guitar they build for people to try. One day I WILL have a D-35 like Johnny Cash, Ray LaMontagne and Steven Stills had. Martin guitars are know for their deep bass response and the D-35 has even more so.

I took the basic tour in October 2016. They offer a more comprehensive tour that takes you downstairs into the wood room. The smell is intoxicating.

BTW, I ordered more wood from a supplier over in Ohio. It came the next day. It wasn't expensive: About $70 for a set. Black walnut is domestically grown and relatively fast-growing compared, compared to the fancy stuff from south America that they found in the bottom of a river and infused with Amazonian minerals that the cork sniffers think is responsible for mojo and will make their fumblings with cowboy chords sound like Elvis.

I also have the unjoined bookmatched plates that will be the soundboard. It's sitka spruce from the US PNW (that I bought from a supplier in western NY state) and it set me back $20. Spruce is a soft wood so once I'm set I need to proceed carefully. Sharper blades and having a jig to hold things in place should reduce potential for mistakes provided I don't rush.

It's snowing today so I don't know if I'm going to open it but I do have designs set to screw together the pieces for the shooting board I need to make to work with it. I also need to sharpen the blade for my bench plane.

Realistically, the best thing I can do is tape up the trim I just painted and touch up the walls that they're framing.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Lunch with her Bff at Red Robin was the best part. Pizza and milkshakes!
She said the smells gave her a headache. I'm thinking wood aromas and varnishes.
I didn't go. The over stimulation (smells) would have me running for the door, so I don't wind up on the floor.
Grandpa is getting her Martin for her birthday. She'll be taking lessons probably next year. Grandma is all about tutorial books and and videos. The Stem co-op is offering. Always was at the Arts co-op.
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Lunch with her Bff at Red Robin was the best part. Pizza and milkshakes!
She said the smells gave her a headache. I'm thinking wood aromas and varnishes.
I didn't go. The over stimulation (smells) would have me running for the door, so I don't wind up on the floor.
Grandpa is getting her Martin for her birthday. She'll be taking lessons probably next year. Grandma is all about tutorial books and and videos. The Stem co-op is offering. Always was at the Arts co-op.
She didn't like the robot arm in the buffing booth? I hear when it loses its grip on a guitar body it's very entertaining - and expensive. A full gloss D-28 costs nearly $3K.

Anyway, yesterday I made a shooting board for my bench plane and a cheap DIY light table out of a thick piece of Lexan, a desk lamp and a pair of workhorses. I'd take pictures but the basement is a mess.

Last edited by Kwak; Yesterday at 12:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Trophy Husband

So far I have slung the 2 inches of slush off my driveway. UHG! Workout done for today. Like wet cement. I also went to Home Depot. Turned out that the a squirrel that had been bogarting birdseed from the feeder was able to climb my new higher feeder pole . WTF?! I even greased it! So earlier I walked around HD looking for something smooth to wrap around the feeder stand pole. I happened upon a 5 foot thin white tube with a slit in it end to end. I believe it is a cover for shower curtain rods. Only $3! Went on perfectly. I hope this is the end of Varmint Cong!
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
So far I have slung the 2 inches of slush off my driveway. UHG! Workout done for today. Like wet cement. I also went to Home Depot. Turned out that the a squirrel that had been bogarting birdseed from the feeder was able to climb my new higher feeder pole . WTF?! I even greased it! So earlier I walked around HD looking for something smooth to wrap around the feeder stand pole. I happened upon a 5 foot thin white tube with a slit in it end to end. I believe it is a cover for shower curtain rods. Only $3! Went on perfectly. I hope this is the end of Varmint Cong!
Lol. Shades of Caddyshack, Mark!
Old Today, 12:19 AM
Alpha Dog

Rewired the wall remote for the garage and got to cleaning up more of the garage that has been neglected since the floods back in '14. I do have a second reason for cleaning the garage... Neighbor is giving me a couple wheel barrels of seasoned cut oak for my barbecue.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029