Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Advice from Dads for Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck
Default Emotional Child

So our oldest has always been a very sensitive, emotional child. Of course his two most extreme motions tend to be anger or sadness. Apparently in art class (1st grade) at school he's been crying easily over relatively minor things such as a teacher asking him to not talk while she is talking. The other example she gave was some other kid sat in the seat he normally sits in and that set him off crying. So she was asking us how we deal with these things so that she can try and help him.

Of course the big problem is we haven't had much luck dealing with these things. Normally we just try to talk to him to find out why he's so sad, and listen to him over it. Then we try and suggest to him that other people don't mean these things as offenses to him, and try to explain what their point of view may be. He always says and acts like he understands, and then a day later, right back to it. He is better than he was a year or so ago, but progress has been extremely slow. Beyond just being disruptive to the class when this happens, I personally worry how it will affect him socially, especially if it keeps up as he gets older.

We're a bit stumped on this at the moment.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Have you talked to a developmental or child psychologist?

I'm not going to project my own sons' different diagnoses on your son but an inability to control emotions, having a lot of nervous energy (such as talking out in class) and an inflexibility to change are several symptoms that we have dealt with with regards to our eldest son's PDD-NOS (autism spectrum disorder) and our younger son's ADHD. If this becomes a problem I would talk with the teacher or the school guidance counselor and request an Individual Education Plan. While it may be disruptive to the class, it is not fair to your child if his access to the same educational opportunities in hindered just because of what the school might consider to be a "disciplinary" problem.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

That's why we homeschool.
We spent a whole summer with smoking hot child psychologist only to find that Pippa is just too sweet and kind and doesn't understand why someone (a peer) would want to be mean and nasty towards her.
Little girls can be mean and rotten. I seen it on the playground myself.
Then I realized I could demographic the worst kids.
When I lived in NJ you were either from the lake or the projects. The lake was semi private. Members, events, I probably knew you.
Projects - probably not.
Projects kids were the worst. You can come up with your own reasons.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:22 PM
Super Daddy

As the parent of an overly sensitive 7-year old, I feel for you Gduck. Our issues manifest more at home than at school, but it is a struggle sometimes to manage his emotions. He has always been this way but I must admit it is super frustrating as a parent.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:04 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I left out Pippas diagnosis: developmental emotional immaturity.
Common in single child home. They don't get pushed around by other siblings. Parents never toughened them up.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

He goes regularly to a psychologist. Though she seems to think it's not anything serious, and that it's just a bit of a slow emotional development. Somedays I agree with that, somedays I don't. I do see a lot of me in him at that age, though most of my more emotional issues were kept at home, and not school. It was probably second or third grade when I really outgrew that, so I'm hopeful with him that he'll follow that trend.

He's a very outgoing kid and loves being socially active. Whenever we're somewhere with other kids he's always happily playing with them, and they seem to include him just fine. Yet he's never really asked to invite anyone over (other than his birthday party), and we've never been asked by anyone else. I wish we had more kids in our neighborhood - well we do, but all the ones on our road either go to a private school, or have connections so they go to a different school district. And the ones next door their parents are very stand offish and have just about zero interest in our kids playing together. Sadly it's a neighborhood made up by lots of rentals where people change over every couple of years. And most of the non-rental homes are owned by people whose kids are old enough they have kids of their own.