Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Beach Daddy

Got the wife out the door for another round of travel and kiddos on the bus. Surfed for an hour this morning before starting any chores. I have been hard at work vacuuming all the blinds in the house- it is amazing how dusty those things get. Beginning of the month so sat down to pay bills and get budget straight. Oh and laundry because as soon as the baskets get folded and put away it seems like it is time to start all over again. Plenty of projects to try and get too but just keeping my head above water for now.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Just Dad

I finally bottled my pumpkin ale. I'm not super impressed after tasting the some of the unbottled leftover. I'll give it till Halloween to mature. Hopefully, all of the effort to make it was not wasted. I may bottle my holiday ale for December this week, if I get the chance. I'm already thinking of spring and summer beers. Maybe a light hefeweizen and a blonde triple.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 10-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
I finally bottled my pumpkin ale. I'm not super impressed after tasting the some of the unbottled leftover. I'll give it till Halloween to mature. Hopefully, all of the effort to make it was not wasted. I may bottle my holiday ale for December this week, if I get the chance. I'm already thinking of spring and summer beers. Maybe a light hefeweizen and a blonde triple.
I need to clean my garage out -it's still packed after the garage sale we had. All the leftover junk that I need to figure out what can be tossed and what's going to be carted off to good will. A couple things I'll try selling on Craig's list because I think they do have some value. But I just have to get motivated to do it so I can have my brewing space back. This is the sweet spot where it's not so hot I dropped fifteen pounds sweating my butt off around the boil kettle, and not so cold that my lines freeze.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Sounds good, TwoCubs. I'd love to hear more about this. I like the idea of Hefeweizen. They've replaced shanties and summer ales as my summertime go to. There's a local microbrewery here that had a nice one that was buttery yet smooth with a nice balance of citrus vs. hops. Very smooth.

I have to admit that I'm tired of pumpkin anything though. It seems like most of what is out there is either missing something and are too "earthy" or they're just not smooth enough. If I want something that has the consistency of a milkshake I'd just get a stout, not a lager.

Don't even get me started on IPAs though. If I wanted something that had the aftertaste of shellac I'd drink lemon Pledge. Used to be that bitter beers were something to be avoided, but now it's the rage.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

A blight has moved through the neighborhood and what used to be a clean line of bright golden leaves backed by perfect blue skies is now a post apocalyptic line of greenish brown skeletons. The maple tree next to my mail box is 30 years old and on its last legs. It was planted there by the township and straddles the line between what the township owns and my property. Every time I mow the lawn there's a litter of fallen branches, some of which break off it I bump against them.

A neighbor is getting one taken down today. It's not in the budget but I may give them a call or see if they can give me a bid. Beside that maple I have a huge evergreen overtaking my driveway and a pear tree growing into the back of my house. You can hear the limbs rubbing against the eaves from the master bathroom. The last one is fenced in though and it's a good 30' tall at least.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Beach Daddy

Round of grocery shopping before my workout (another day of surfing- the only way to get better is to keep getting in the water. On days where it's worth getting out there it has replaced my running). Now on to cleaning bathrooms.
As an aside- I have started sitting down on Mondays and creating a To-do list for the week. I keep it on a clipboard in the kitchen and when something comes up I add to it. Trying to be better about getting projects finished along with the million other things that it takes to keep this ship afloat.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

$600 to cut down the pear tree that's encroaching on the back of our house and $250 to cut down the dying maple in the front. I could DIY the latter; I'm all about nickles and dimes.

Meanwhile I went to Home Depot and bought some paint for the front porch and ducting for the humidifier. I need to get on it tomorrow but today I have to visit Justin in my wife's stead.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, is your house 2 stories? could you top the tree on the back of the house from a window? Being that close is kinda an advantage. It can really only fall away from the house with any gusto.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Trophy Husband

Wife worked from home today. She carved out 60 minutes for us to go on a fast paced walk we have been doing. Not speed walking but not power walking with weights. Kinda like "I gotta get to the gate to make my flight" pace. About 50-50 hills to flat grade. We have been going on 90 minute treks. Not easy but nice to be outside and off the elliptical machine. Good workout. My only mistake was deciding to mow the lawn afterwards today. My dogs are barking. Nothing a few ibuprofen and a few Diet Coors can't fix.....I hope.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kwak, is your house 2 stories? could you top the tree on the back of the house from a window? Being that close is kinda an advantage. It can really only fall away from the house with any gusto.
There's not window on that side of the house; it's up against the master bathroom which only has a skylight. There's a branch that's scraping against the gutter too.