Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default old concrete steps

So, we have this shoddy back/porch and steps cobbled together out of spare 2" slabs of lumber. It's been getting a bit scarey lately so I was inspecting closer to see about repairing or replacing. Well, I discovered it had just been slapped on over a crumbling concrete structure. So, now I'm thinking about just removing all the lumber and repairing the concrete underneath (which seems in bad shape).

The old concrete steps are not solid but hollow and made w/ rebar for strength. I'm thinking they were really giving way because of the 4x4 posts and 2" lumber used to wrap it. Obviously I won't be able to tell for sure until I rip off all the wood. But, I have two thoughts about repairing it.

First, is to just fill the cavity w/ concrete which is simple and straightforward but would take about a cubic yard or so of concrete if not more.

If it's not too bad I could just reinforce the weak spots and patch.

Any thoughts as I move forward? I'll post updates and maybe pics as I progress.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Anyway to get it all out now, and just build a new setup from wood?

Another option is to pour your own new stuff with forms, even using the old as a filler.

Take it all out and start over with a new cast cement unit. Possibly the most expensive upfront cost, but no maintenance for the rest of your life.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
getting younger every day

Send a message via Yahoo to chuck

I agree with wood, I have concrete steps in front of my house that were going, they are 30 years old and thats about right for concrete to start to deteriorate, I went over them with a small wood deck which will last for another 20 years or so. Once you get that old wood off I would either remove them completely or if they are not terribly dangerous I would build a small deck over/around it without relying on them for support of any kind.