Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
SAHD to RN

Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan View Post
catholic service is little more than reciting/regurgitation.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Trophy Husband

[QUOTE=Cubfan;242778Catholic service is little more than reciting/regurgitation.[/QUOTE]

Kind of like Cubs fans singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" at every home game. If you want to see a baseball game stay the hell out of Wrigley field.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Kind of like Cubs fans singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" at every home game. If you want to see a baseball game stay the hell out of Wrigley field.
Kinda like asking fans to contribute 20 mil to a terrible baseball team. I'd rather invest in a hockey team in Haiti.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Trophy Husband

A Christmas tradition that will end this year is the one of my family having to stay a full week at my in-laws and putting on 5-10 lbs in the process. It is just way too easy to with all the great grub and all. They do not have any exercise equipment either. Now we can go back and forth for New Years too if we feel up to it.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Alpha Dog

My wife's family started a new tradition a few years ago. They each get assigned two names and only buy for those two people. The names rotate year to year so you are always buying for someone different. They decided on two, beause it was much better than buying for everyone, but that way you still got more than one thing. Now they do still buy for all the nieces and nephews, the name thing is just the adults.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1DoG View Post
My wife's family started a new tradition a few years ago. They each get assigned two names and only buy for those two people. The names rotate year to year so you are always buying for someone different. They decided on two, beause it was much better than buying for everyone, but that way you still got more than one thing. Now they do still buy for all the nieces and nephews, the name thing is just the adults.
We do the name thing (after dinner on Thanksgiving) for only the kids, there are about 20 now on my side alone. We adults stopped exchanging years ago on both sides. Too many kids.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I been putting my newest shoe in the windowsill for years now, letting St. Nick see that I need a new pair. Always works. It's an old Italian tradition my Grandpappy told me about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I put my newest shoe in the windowsill, for St.Nick to see. Old Norse idea that you'll remind him to bring ya a new pair.
Been doing it for decades now.
Passing it on to the princess.
One more time!!!

If it works let me know. I need a new pair of running shoes.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Just glad to be here

Dinner Christmas Eve with wife's family -- it's FIL's birthday. They order big platters of sushi and much drinking happens. We exchange gifts which is now just for the kids, no adult presents. So much better.

Then a leisurely morning at home, just the four of us. On the weekend after Christmas, we do an overnight at my parents' house, which is fun but very cramped. We play bingo for hours, incorporating cheesy prizes and drinking games. In the morning, nearly 20 of us crowd into the family room to exchange gifts. This lasts several hours. There is even an intermission. Several of us have wanted to draw names for years, but there is a small but vocal faction that doesn't even want to have the conversation. It's an obscene scene. It is my 76 yo mom's way to ensure we are all together and don't scatter. The sane faction has suggested games and other ways to do this, but to no avail. After 20 minutes, most of us are itching to get out of there. After 5 hours? It gets ugly.

Merry Christmas fellas.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Dad in Training

Rather hard to call it a tradition since it's the first time we're doing it. But hopefully, it will start to become our tradition.

Christmas Eve - Church service (Anglican) at 5:00 p.m. There is a 9 p.m. service but that will be too late for out little guy - eventually we'll move to the 9 p.m. service.

After the service come home and have a lobster dinner or perhaps just lobster tail (need to see what I can pick up tomorrow during the day)

Our son will open a gift, and we'll read the Christmas story (kids version)

Off to bed.

Christmas Day - a quiet day. Get up and open presents since Santa will have arrived, and spend a quiet day at home. Wife mentioned she didn't want to go to church, which surprises me; as she is the more religious one out of the two of us. She figured the service on Christmas Eve will be enough.

Christmas Day Brunch will be Eggs Benedict etc

Get outside during the day for a bit, since it's suppose to be +4C/39F. Yes the Great White North is have a Great Brown Christmas this year.

Have a Christmas dinner of turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, cabbage rolls (homemade), perogy (homemade), salads etc.

I have to laugh to this whole plan, although this seems picture perfect, the only problem is . . . . we're dealing with a 4 yo so who knows what will REALLY happen. Anyway, I think we will "attempt" this and see what actually unfolds. LOL!!!

We'll be travelling to visit family on the 27 - 31 so we feel that we get the best of both worlds. Stay at home for Christmas but yet celebrate Christmas with our families - which means 3 Christmases. So we'll start our own tradition and still observe the other traditions.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodaddy View Post
A few days before Christmas, I like to go on-line and exchange shots and banter with some guys on a Dad's website that I like. I also love to derail threads. I have Christmas music on in the background while I do it.
Me too!