Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'm completely disenfranchised. The Pirates payroll is about $59M this year and the trend is likely to continue to go down. 3 years ago they spent around $90M for their major league roster. The ownership has shown for years now that they would rather sit on their prospects and then trade off major league talent when they come up for arbitration. During interviews the ownership and front office use talking points and convey no passion whatsoever. When confronted with payroll stinginess they blame lower fan turnout. Unbelievable.

Meanwhile, ex-Pirate Andrew McCutchen also just got renewed with a 3 year/$50M contract with the Phillies ($10M/$17M/$20M with a 3rd year $3M buyout.) Good for him, but I'm not likely to root for him because he's on the decline. He gave the Pirates the best years of him career and ownership refused to build around him and were looking to move him once he started making more than $10M a year.

Ownership is making the same type of noise with their catcher/first baseman Francisco Cervelli (who's getting $11.5M this year) but it's understandable since he's got a history of getting concussions (which is why he plays at 1B.) His contract expires this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets DFA'd next spring.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 03-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Trophy Husband

Phillie's owner said he was going to spend "stupid money" this year. 50 million for 3 years of McCutchen?! That is the definition of stupid money. I watched Cervelli's act with the Yanks a few years back. Not impressed.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM
Diaper Jockey

The MLBPA caved today and gave the commissioner some concessions on rule changes to be implemented in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. This year the most notable are a single trade deadline on July 31 and limiting mound visits from 6 to 5. Next year modifications to roster sizes and a 3 batters faced minimum. The only one I'm really against is the 3 batter minimum.

Listening to Casey Stern on MLB Network Radio as I type this and his thing always has been that MLB has to do a better job of promoting its stars. Also, that if you're listening to a baseball only channel on a paid satellite radio service you're already a diehard baseball fan, you aren't going anywhere no matter how much they change. AND that none of these changes are going to attract a single person who doesn't like baseball to the game. Agree with all.

They need to do something to attract younger fans. The average age of a World Series viewer last year was I believe I heard 54. That's a problem. But tweeks to the game and reducing the time of game will accomplish nothing.

Promote the hell out of the game. I agree. But baseball is just different. If I take my kids to a Bucks game, which I did last month, and say "Watch number 34 (Giannis Antetokoumpo). He's the best young player in the game." Giannis is going to be on the floor for 40+ of the 48 minutes of play and chances are he is going to do something amazing. Crazy blocks, acrobatic dunks, scoring 30+ points, and they can leave saying, "Wow! That guy was crazy!" If I take them to a Packers game, Aaron Rodgers is on the field more than he isn't and if he has his average game he's going to throw for 300 yards and 2-3 tds. Wow! Really saw something. And the star was on the field for most of the game.

Last September 16 with the Brewers in a pennant race and Christian Yelich having the best September since Carl Yastrzemski I took my daughter to a Sunday game against the Pirates. "Watch #22!" Yelich went 0 for 4 and caught 3 routine fly balls in right field - with 45 minute between his at bats and who knows how long between defensive plays. What's so great about that. He's one of the best players?

In other sports the star could do something at ANY time, and is likely to do SOMETHING amazing during the course of every game. Baseball isn't like that.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Baseball is broken. I'll argue it has been since the juicing era. The more they try to fix it the more they eff it up. It also shares what I hate about the NFL: divisional organization. 4 teams per division is NOT enough. They need to do what hockey does.

I have to hand it to the Brewers. For a small market team they spend the money and get behind their players. Sadly, the Pittsburgh Pirates are the antithesis of that. I watched our own #22 for years. They were supposed to build around him. He even took a "home town discount" but when he started making stupid fielding decisions (which I believe were actually the coaching staff having him stand too shallow in center) ownership began to "shop" the face of their franchise.

Sports are all about money now. It's sad.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Trophy Husband

Sports has always been about the money.............for the franchise owners. The players just wanted there share after a while.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Diaper Jockey

That didn't take long! Mike Trout, 12-year, $430M, contract extension with the Angels. Although Bryce Harper still has the largest free agent contract in history since Trout's was an extension. Trout is 10 times the player Harper is though.

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Old 03-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
That didn't take long! Mike Trout, 12-year, $430M, contract extension with the Angels. Although Bryce Harper still has the largest free agent contract in history since Trout's was an extension. Trout is 10 times the player Harper is though.

If Trout played on the East coast he would have gotten even more money. Stupid money.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
If Trout played on the East coast he would have gotten even more money. Stupid money.
After taxes in California, what's that come out to? 45k?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Apparently the Pirates are still on the carpet with the players' association for not offering a competetive wage with the rest of the league.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jjzK-69WKvnNCI
Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 AM
Trophy Husband

MLB Baseball players, as well as all other pro athletes who are "unionized" , are delirious. In a workers Union you get a set pay rate for a set job title. These people want the best of both worlds. The "power and protection of a union" when it benefits them and then "what the market will bear" when it comes to getting paid for their individual past performance and future potential.