Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I'd agree with you GB if I wasn't a "pull through" kind of guy in the parking lot at the grocery store. It's otherwise like a game of Frogger and Bumper Cars between people walking around with their heads implanted rectally, people hopping into their cars and throwing it into reverse without even looking over their shoulders or just speeding down the aisle to get out of dodge.

My wife and I agree though. There's NO reason to take an F350 duelie with and extended cab to the mall. NONE. Not even if you're going to the Lone Star, the Outback, the new microbrewery that has good BBQ or whatever. NADA. NIL. NONE!!!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, maybe that F350 is their only ride.

I am a back up or pull through guy whenever possible. With today's reverse cameras it is easy. Especially in church and school parking lots where folks walk around like zombies. I live near the Insurance Capital of the World and I am amazed how bad the drivers are here. I can't roll back and forth 5 minutes to the local supermarket and not see or be involved in a close call.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

I had to take a defensive driving course for work and we were taught to back in to a parking spot. More accidents happen backing out then backing in I guess
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 AM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
An awful lot of people around here have a fascination with backing into spaces. Their driveway, garages, parking spaces, anywhere they need to park....back it in.

Most of the parents at my daughter's school do this at pick up time. Problem is, most of them aren't any good at it. Even when the parking lot is clean of snow and ice they're half side-ways, crossing the lines, and making it impossible for anyone to park next to them.

School was cancelled yesterday because of icy conditions so of course the lines in the single row of parking parallel to the bus lane are all covered. Gotta back it in!!! Every which way. All over the place. All the spots were taken up by about half the vehicles that should be able to park there. (on a daily basis at least 2-3 spots extra are taken up but "Backing In Guy", if you ever listen to Jim Rome).
Had to park on the road. Get the 1 year old out of the car seat - normally leave him in the van because I'm 20 only 20 feet away, now had to walk half a block to avoid the no parking zone in front of the school.

Enough with the backing in!!! I half expect these people to grab their kids and go sliding across the hood like Bo and Luke and peel out like they're evading Roscoe and the Boss.
I have friends from the Midwest and those suckers back in EVERY SINGLE TIME. I am a pull in or pull through. Honestly I suck at backing in. It seems like every mid-westerner that I know whips it into reverse and backs in. Is this to outrun the tornadoes or buffalo?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Hmmmm
Old 01-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

My yukon xl is our family vehicle. I try and pull through as much as possible, sometimes I back in. I don't like backing out of spaces with that tank...
Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
I had to take a defensive driving course for work and we were taught to back in to a parking spot. More accidents happen backing out then backing in I guess
My old High School/College buddy and I talked about opening up an "Offensive Driving School" back in the day. Lesson #1: The Finger! Of course that was after a number of cold ones.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I dunno guys. I don't see the logic of driving a vehicle that is about the same size and cost of the house I grew up in. I guess I never left the trailer park.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

I grew up with three older brothers. I was always the one to sit in the middle. With three rows of seating the girls don't have to smush in, I can fit the entire family as well as the goalie gear. It's safer. I can tow the camper. I don't get stuck in the snow. We bought it used and paid less than you'd expect because it already had 180k miles.
Shall I go on? :P
;)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Super Duper Daddy

...and here I thought you all were stuck driving minivans caked in ketchup like me!

Yeah, I secretly want an F-150 with a lift kit to buy lumber and haul scrap to the dump but I bet the gas mileage sucks compared to my Honda Oddity.