Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Book Club
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Career SAHD

On recommendation from a nurse where my Dad is, I read "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking." I'd never put much thought into how much our country values only extroversion, and how that's somewhat misguided. The author had many examples of the value of introversion. Not bashing extroversion, just pointing out how we discount the positive sides of introversion. Very interesting.

While I was pretty introverted as a kid, I figured out how to train myself to be more extroverted as an adult. But I hadn't thought about the values of being focused and alone, and how those who can't handle that have some disadvantages also. Gave me some insight to myself, my Dad, who's very introverted, and one of our sons who leans toward that side I think.

I would guess many on the forum here have some introversion tendencies. If not we'd have no time to be on here during all our social interactions. It's funny how my first reaction is to be defensive if I'm called introverted, and explain my extroverted side. In some cultures, such as Asian, it's a source of pride rather than shame (as ours seems to be) to be more reserved and focused instead of "outgoing" and chatty.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Gotti's Rules" by George Anastasia. Gotti Jr.'s former right hand man , John Alite, tells his version of how things worked back in the Gotti powerhouse days in Queens NY. Both my wife's and my parents come from that neck of the woods. The book had a lot of local flavor.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Missing Man" by Barry Meier. It is the true and ongoing story of a CIA contractor, Bob Levinson, who was picked up in Iran over 9 years ago and believed to still be there today. His wife and 7 kids live with this dilemma every day while trying to move on with their lives in the meantime. I never thought my faith in the U.S. government could get any lower until I read this book.

http://www.helpboblevinson.com/
Old 06-29-2016, 08:41 AM
New Daddy

I needed to read something a bit more lighthearted this time round so I went for a British comedian who I have always found to be witty and intelligent. David Mitchell has collected together his articles from The Observer and put them together in this book. That being said the book isn't just that simple. His observations are clever, interesting and informed. Whether you like him as a comedian, or whether you want an insight into the typically British mind set, then this is a decent read! Thinking about it only makes it worse: I purchased it second hand (http://www.for-sale.co.uk/) but I have seen it on plenty of other sites too

Last edited by Dadscan; 06-29-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:18 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Empire of Deception" by Dean Jobb. The true story of the original USA swindler Lou Koretz. He was around in the raging 20's way before Mr. Ponzi and Bernie Madodff. He screwed many friends AND family, including his own mother, out of tens of thousands of dollars with BS rice farm deals in the mid-west and a bogus timber deal in Panama that morphed into a bogus oil field on the same property. This ruse went on for almost 20 years. Another proud son of Chicago. They caught him by accident after a year of hiding out in the open under a different name in Canada after leaving his family high and dry and continuing his playboy ways. Great story that would make a decent movie.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Part time worker now

Just finished "Atlas Shrugged". It was the longest book I have read in a while. Very good read and another of the classics checked off my list.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Trophy Husband

Just finished "Left of Boom" by Doug Laux and Ralph Pezzullo. It is the true story of a college kid from Indiana (Doug Laux) deciding to join the CIA and become a case officer and infiltrate terrorists groups there in a successful effort to thwart the proliferation of IED's being made and used against American Soldiers among other assignments. There are so many people like him that live double lives and put their personal lives on the back burner for many many years at a time. And given a lot of insight as to how the bureaucracies in the US Government work I don't think we will ever stop the terrorists.