Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
This topic has come up before but I can't find the thread to get the answer. We now have stainless steel appliances, which we realize show every mark and water drop, etc, which was the topic of conversation in an earlier thread. How do you guys keep them clean, or what do you use for cleaning them?
I have stainless appliances and despise it. There are loads of cleaners out there. I gave up and just use Windex. I have used Wieman wipes for SS that can probably be found in your supermarket. They worked well. An old house cleaner turned me on to using Lemon Pledge. Yup! worked great too.

QV, what I told the wife I am planning to do is figure out a way to "electrify" the entire SS surface of the appliances except for the handles. That would male my life a lot easier. ZAP!!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 AM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post

QV, what I told the wife I am planning to do is figure out a way to "electrify" the entire SS surface of the appliances except for the handles. That would male my life a lot easier. ZAP!!
When you have it figured out, let me know. I think my wife is the worst of the bunch in regard to mucking it up.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I seen a House Sparrow murder another right on the perch of the birdhouse.
Nature can be horrible.
I removed the victim. It was like the "Donner party" he froze, and they ate him.

Last edited by irie feeling; 02-26-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Donner not dinner
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Career SAHD

A lot of my training on patience after all the years with kids is coming into play more now. My Dad is really struggling with dementia, his caregivers have called twice this week because they weren't sure what to do. Even though I'm there almost every day, I had to go in again for a couple hours last night. He was sure actual demons were coming to drag him out, never to be seen again. He was calm by the time I left, it really is the same as kids where distraction to some other world is the best rather than trying to reason. Hard stuff. Tough to see your dad suffer through all this.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Having been on the periphery with my wife's grandpa, I can only guess as to how tough it is going for you, Riggs. Stay strong, brother.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Super Duper Daddy

That's terrible to hear, Riggs. I can't even imagine as my own just had a massive heart attack before I could even get to know him. To see a lifetime of memories be mocked by dementia...? Again, I can't even imagine.

Well, maybe I can, but not in the same way.

What worked? Trips down memory lane? Pictures of days gone by?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM
SAHD to RN

Riggs - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad going through this. Question: Have you asked about the possibility of a urinary tract infection being present? Those certainly can present with hallucinations.

Maybe they can collect a sample for analysis and/or bloodwork to see if there is one present...especially if it's been twice this week...it sounds more acute than just dementia progressing.

They may not want to spend the money for the tests right off the bat (thus saving you/your insurance some money) -- but they can track for a few days.

At our place, if we suspect a urinary tract infection we put them on our "UTI protocol". Every shift for three days, we track:

*Vital signs (especially temperature)
*Problems with urination (complaints of pain, burning, going more/less often than normal)
*Color/Clarity of urine, whether blood is present
*Amount of fluid given to patient (at least 1000mL, to try to flush bacteria out)
*Nurse's signature

If all seems normal after 3 full days, then the possibility of UTI may be discounted. If there are 2 signs/symptoms present at any time, usually the Dr or APRN will order collection of sample to be sent to the lab.

not saying it is that, but it certainly could be a possibility. Just throwing it out there. Again, sorry you are going through this.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Exclamation

Thank God, Jah, Jehovah, Allah, for timers. I put the dog out in the snow, I set a timer, I make a personal pizza for pippa, I set a timer. Half the time, it goes off, I am like - what's that for. Thank God for timers.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Trophy Husband

Hang in there Riggsy. My Dad just turned 83 and he is in the early stages of dementia as well. Totally healthy otherwise. It is amazing what he remembers and what he forgets. My wife found him walking around upstairs at our house a few weeks ago looking for the bedroom we put him in. He forgot we put him downstairs. I see things getting worse as time goes on. He becomes very quiet for long periods of time now. I will be paying attention to your posts about Dad. I think I am looking into my future.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Career SAHD

Thanks guys. Kwak, what works so far (this is all a very intense learning experience for me) is just going somewhere totally different. For us that's meant reading a book, and discussing it along the way some. Or looking at pictures of anyplace in the world he wants to, thanks to this internet. Any attempts at reasoning or solving the issue just make it worse I think.

Don - you're spot on with their thoughts too. Since it got more serious last night, that was the first thing they were looking at this morning. We'll see. He has a super pubic catheter, so some of that is easy to track.

Mark, at least for most people the symptoms are gradual. My Dad started think their one level house had an upstairs about 5 - 6 years ago, other than that he thought fairly clearly. Keep an eye on your mom, as people say this stuff is really hard on the caretaker. Nobody will ever know what took my healthy mom out early, but it's true that taking care of my Dad was very stressful and all consuming. In the words of JK Simmons: (go to 1:45 for the message)