Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Daddy Deals
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Trophy Husband

I bought a new pair of super tacs about 7-8 years ago. I was told the best way to break them in was before skating in them to put on a wet pair of socks and them put them on as tight as possible for about 20 minutes to help mold the leather inners to my feet. Hey Hockeyfan, is this worthy of "Myth Busters"? It hurt cranking them tight let me tell you. Then you have to use them a number of times to finish the job. God, I have not skated in about 3 years. I am going to have to take my son over to the rink and take a spin.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Nice Dad

Mission Skates have a "baking" system. Your suppose to use a special oven, but they bake them for a certain period and then you put them on your feet.

I have read that soaking your skates in warm water and then wearing for a 1/2 hour helps. I'm no expert but I think simply wearing the skaet is the best method, it will take a few hours of skating time to get your foot molded to the skate.

Also read that wearing a thin sock under your sock helps with keeping your foot more comfortable. My feet are sensitive and new skates tend to really hurt my feet for the first 4 or 5 hours of use.

HockeySave.com
Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

went to a local rink and saw a pair of ccm vector 3.0 for 99 bucks. guy said if want will have in stock and will be on sale this weekend so will go try em out.

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 02-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Super Nice Dad

That's a good price, about the same you will pay online, shop.nhl.com does not have that in anything over a size 6. Best I could do is save you 5% at hockeygiant.com.

But supporting your local shop is good, plus a return will be easier and hopefully they throw in the first sharpening. That usually cost $5 or so. Just be sure they fit good as once they are sharpened it's harder to return at most places without some sort of restocking fee.

HockeySave.com
Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

yeah i checked already includes free sharpening

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

well after I was told the skates would be in they got the wrong size, even after telling them flat out i needed a size 10. they even got the gf's skate wrong. went to local hockey equipment and walked out with

they fit well and since they are beginner skates i wasnt too worried on the bells and whistles.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Super Nice Dad

Too bad about the first place, you probably would have liked the Reebok skate a little better

HockeySave.com
Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

yeah was definitely my first choice but they dicked me around and wanted something for tomorrow. they couldn't get me a definite delivery date so screw em. were flakes at the rink anyway.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

gave the skates their first run. well ok more like wobbly glide. ankle problem seemed to have melted away since its a new skate and has the padding. now of course the new problem was the arch. was giving me a cramp in the arch 1/2 through class. now just have to walk about the house with the skates on to break them in.