Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

The forecast turned out to be a clear for astro viewing right before sundown. I set up in a hurry. Waited until good and dark. That's about 9. Had a big list for Ursa Major and the surrounding area. Figured I'd work just one area, because the sky is too darn big.
There's a Supernova going on there. Too much moon glow! Could only make out 2 galaxies out of my list of 41.
On a whim, swept on over to Virgo. Went over to M87, the recently popularized "black hole Galaxy". It is in a huge chain of galaxies, like a jewelry chain, stretched about. Some are egg shaped, some are barred spirals, like ours. I spent an hour looking at the "chain." Virgo has at least 100 galaxies in and around it.
Every time I see one, I think 15 billion stars in ours. 200 million light years across (some bigger-some smaller). No way in hell we are alone out here.
I have a list of 5000 galaxies a friend sent me, with coordinates. That's just the tip of the iceberg, NASA recently logged another 20,000.

Last edited by irie feeling; 05-25-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

On Friday I mowed the lawn and cleared most of the high grass on the unused portion of my property. It shot up quicker than I anticipated because of all the rain and I killed the brush cutter attachment but I'm getting more efficient with the string trimmer. The goal is to get it low enough to mow regularly so that the grass can choke out some of the other crap that has grown to near tree height in the past. The slope is difficult to mow but at least the mower is self propelled. I might have to get new wheels for the front (that have better tread) though. It's actually hard work, but I look at it as exercise.

Today I may trim the bushes and clear out the remaining brush on the remaining level portion of my property. It would be a nice place to have a fire pit and look at the stars with friends; it's wide open to the southern sky. Irie, you'd love it. I just need to make some type of safe footing that acts as stairs.

My wife has green lighted getting a fire pit for down below, but I also want to get more lighting and maybe some more outdoor furniture so that we can have friends over more over the summer.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Fire pit under the Southern summer sky sounds great. Saturn hangs out there in the "teapot" of Sagittarius, and will make its arrival in Late June. Now it's an "2am planet".
Old 05-27-2019, 11:48 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
It would be a nice place to have a fire pit and look at the stars with friends; it's wide open to the southern sky. Irie, you'd love it. I just need to make some type of safe footing that acts as stairs.

My wife has green lighted getting a fire pit for down below, but I also want to get more lighting and maybe some more outdoor furniture so that we can have friends over more over the summer.
Solo Stove baby!

Seriously though, we have one and use it all the time, it's pretty great. Better than those cheap screen ones at Home Depot
Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

2 more days of 3rd grade left!
Gma and Gpa are having their new home inspection today. They are taking us out to dinner to Alaska Pete's.
The house is only 7 yrs old. Should be ok.
Tornado watch and violent storms watch up for this afternoon as well. Remnants of what happened in the plains, moving Easterly.
Local radio on just in case.
Yee.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Just Dad

My dad and I primed one of the kids' rooms today. Nine foot ceilings are great until you have to paint them. My shoulders are not happy with me.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
My dad and I primed one of the kids' rooms today. Nine foot ceilings are great until you have to paint them. My shoulders are not happy with me.
I feel your pain. I HATE getting up on the extendable ladder but I've learned to put a little extra effort in taping. It pays off - along with one of those edging pads. A good long pole helps too. The ceilings in my foyer have to be 18' high, but I'll be damned if I'm going to lean 6' off a high ladder with a roller.

It occurs to me that I could probably go into business as a painter. I saw a millennial talking head on YouTube tell me it was a good side gig. Of course, they don't take into account the cost of insurance.

I eff'd up yesterday. My wife worked from home and I was supposed to take her car to get inspected. To be fair she forgot too, though.

I did go to the hardware store to pick up some bits and bobs for a jig to do my guitar build.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I managed to vacuum the house!

I talked to FIL. Asked him why you moving 2 miles away from me?
He said when they brought up the desire to retire at the Jersey shore or Florida. We said, "guess you'll never see your grandkids again." We hate the shore. The shore cost $2500 a week to rent a house, and you got a drunken frat party next door. (Not making it up. Been there done that with them!!)You can come see me.
I go to Fla once every 5 yrs. to see my family and take in the parks.
The plan is to buy the Pocono house, sell the Joisey house, and pocket the difference.

Last edited by irie feeling; 05-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I managed to vacuum the house!

I talked to FIL. Asked him why you moving 2 miles away from me?
He said when they brought up the desire to retire at the Jersey shore or Florida. We said, "guess you'll never see your grandkids again." We hate the shore. The shore cost $2500 a week to rent a house, and you got a drunken frat party next door. (Not making it up. Been there done that with them!!)You can come see me.
I go to Fla once every 5 yrs. to see my family and take in the parks.
The plan is to buy the Pocono house, sell the Joisey house, and pocket the difference.
Damn those FIL's for making sense. I know the women give you trouble, but do you get along with him?

Speaking of the women in our lives, my wife came home early. Sinus migraine. She's otherwise pleasant but I'm treading lightly. It could be a trap.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:35 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

She has her opinions and no filter.
I could go on and on about those 2.
Never in favor of me being a SAHD, but Gma too much a Diva to help with babysitting.
Gma at first thought I wasn't qualified to homeschool. (There's curriculum, computer lessons, online schools, etc.)
They thought I was faking epilepsy, I look normal.
When I got denied SSDI, they were convinced I was faking.
When I won on appeal they were scratching their heads.
When I had the implant put in. They were convinced I had Epilepsy. Why else would my doctor recommend it , and my wife's insurance pay for it? And of course;why would I let them attach something to my brain unless it was necessary?
Asshats.