Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I definitely am. All the advocates I talk to have adult offspring on the autism spectrum but I still have some challenges to overcome first. We'be discussed what my personal calling in life may be - but there is a difference in that from a "career."
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

It really hits home that there needs to be a parent "on call" even after the kids are in school. That's called the "unknown" where you balance your "professional life" with your family - aka the whole reason you stayed home in the first place. Generally (and I admit that this is personal opinion) if a parent is forced to call off regularly it doesn't matter the reason after the third "incident." They're still not being productive and the management is having to repeatedly adjust labor and schedules to accommodate somebody who's not able to contribute.
This exactly. For those of whose wives are executives lets be realistic- it doesn't matter how many sick days they have or days off they have, if there is a deadline or something that needs to be done- taking a random Tuesday off because little Billy is sick just doesn't fly at that level. Especially for women in executive level positions I think there becomes a stigma if they are taking days of to be with the kids. Just like you said Kwak- this puts us back in the same position why most of us became SAHD's.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757dad View Post
This exactly. For those of whose wives are executives lets be realistic- it doesn't matter how many sick days they have or days off they have, if there is a deadline or something that needs to be done- taking a random Tuesday off because little Billy is sick just doesn't fly at that level. Especially for women in executive level positions I think there becomes a stigma if they are taking days of to be with the kids. Just like you said Kwak- this puts us back in the same position why most of us became SAHD's.
Conversely, when your wife is an executive - or at least a supervisor in IT like mine is - then work tends to come home in the form of a "company laptop" or worse, a company smart phone. There are simply not enough hours in the work day to complete all the minutia and when you are in IT you pretty much HAVE to work a weekend every so often. The worst is when the cell phone rings in the middle of the night because some process in a testing environment has crashed. I don't like to bite the hand that feeds me but that kind of thing just p!$$3$ me off. It's not like she's a doctor and somebody's dying. I swear the staff at my son's residence pulls fewer hours.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Beach Daddy

Could you some good vibes today. I have been wrestling with this for the last 2 weeks and am talking with the wife today about calling it quits from my teaching position. If I was at any other job besides teaching I wouldn't have as much fear of leaving. Wife is concerned if I walk away now that I will never be able to return to teaching. Not sure if that is really in the cards for me anyways. The way I look at it. I am locked into the school I am at for 3 years anyways and have already decided I wouldn't come back next year. I told my wife that I have not been this unhappy for years. She is going to be traveling 3 weeks out of the month now and I can't imagine doing 8 1/2 more months until the end of school of single dad and full time worker. I feel like I am working 2 full time jobs (House/Kids and teaching)

Last edited by 757dad; 10-02-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Certainly. 757.

Do you know what you would rather be doing? Have you identified specifically what is making you unhappy at your current position? Is it something that can be changed? Is there something else you could be doing differently to make it more enjoyable?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 PM
Beach Daddy

Well I did it today. Put my 2 weeks in. Talked to the principal this morning and told her that it was just not a good fit. With my wifes travel schedule I needed to be at home. She was sort of understanding. She said she wanted someone hired sooner rather than later. Just checked the school job board and it is already posted. Looks like I am returning to the SAHD life.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:19 AM
Career SAHD

Welcome back to at-homedom 757. You can always offer to stay a little longer if they don't find someone right away in case you want to make sure no bridges are burned.

You'll end up like me in a decade or more if you're not careful. My son made National Merit semifinalist this month, and on the application to become a finalist he put my occupation as "retired." They didn't have a lot of options, haha.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Beach Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Welcome back to at-homedom 757. You can always offer to stay a little longer if they don't find someone right away in case you want to make sure no bridges are burned.

You'll end up like me in a decade or more if you're not careful. My son made National Merit semifinalist this month, and on the application to become a finalist he put my occupation as "retired." They didn't have a lot of options, haha.
My last official day is next friday. I told the principal that I would stay 2 weeks so they could hire someone and not have to stick subs in there. I will probably sub 2-3 days a week (at schools that are closer and have a lot better students than the one I was at) for some extra cash and volunteer at the girls school. Will be nice to have some time to get things done around the house. There are mountains of laundry everywhere right now.

I think that this move puts me on the Riggs / MarkB path to long term SAHD.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 AM
Trophy Husband

Glad things seemed to have worked out 757. You have to do what is best for 757family.Inc!

"Every time I try to get out......they pull me back in!"
Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Beach Daddy

T-1 Day and counting. At this time tomorrow I'll be officially back as a full time SAHD. Can't Wait.

Tags
school, uncertainty, work