Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Super Daddy

Default Diet AND Exercise .. Now I get it

I started at the gym in Jan, 3-4 days/week of weight training and cardio. Mostly looking for some general fitness and to drop a few lbs of stomach fat. My weight stayed constant at 197#. I spiked to 200.5# on Memorial Day (after a weekend of overindulging). That's when I looked at my diet.

I quit ice cream. This was a 4-5 scoop (with whipped cream) nightly habit. Probably 500-750 (or more) calories per serving. I switched to whole wheat breads (for sandwiches and morning bagels). I ate more fruit and switched to whole grain snacks (chips and stuff). I had a little better portion control at dinner (mostly by default, my kids are eating more lately). But as I told my kids, I'm not on a diet, I just changed my eating habits.

I am now down to 186.5# and holding steady. Now I understand why they stress diet AND exercise.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Portion control is huge, too. I think it was Wood that posted how quickly a stomach can expand and how long it takes to get back to normal.
My wife and I have been splitting entree's when we go out to eat. I know now when I over eat how crappy I feel, how uncomfortable.
Good on you for making that change!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTdadof3 View Post
I quit ice cream. This was a 4-5 scoop (with whipped cream) nightly habit. Probably 500-750 (or more) calories per serving. I switched to whole wheat breads (for sandwiches and morning bagels). I ate more fruit and switched to whole grain snacks (chips and stuff). I had a little better portion control at dinner (mostly by default, my kids are eating more lately). But as I told my kids, I'm not on a diet, I just changed my eating habits.
This is key. Diets are sold as quick-fixes, which just ignores the greater problem. It's been a few years since I've made a change in my eating habits. I still slip from time to time (like the last few months), but overall, I'm eating better -- whole grains, fruits, less ice cream... Being healthy is such a mental thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post
I know now when I over eat how crappy I feel, how uncomfortable.
Ain't that the truth. I don't understand our need to stuff ourselves at every meal, to sit back and rub our fat bellies and loosen our belts. Why do we do that? (I'm as guilty of it as the next person.) When I control my portions, eat a solid meal that is not gorging, I feel better afterward.

But I also feel better when I've gone to bed early, got 7-8 hours of sleep, and have exercised every day. So why don't I do that all the time? Mmmm...

Gonna go get on the bike now...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM
rmart29

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Country Dad View Post
Being healthy is such a mental thing.

So True! It's especailly hard when you start to lose your mentality and start eating the ice cream again or dunking two donuts into your bowl of milk right after you just ate fruit loops out of it...*sigh*
Old 03-21-2010, 08:26 AM
melina

Work out to loose weight is the best way to stay fit. Lets start this by avoiding high calories food and junk food. Its easy to get weight but hard to loose the single gram.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
daddysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTdadof3 View Post
I started at the gym in Jan, 3-4 days/week of weight training and cardio. Mostly looking for some general fitness and to drop a few lbs of stomach fat. My weight stayed constant at 197#. I spiked to 200.5# on Memorial Day (after a weekend of overindulging). That's when I looked at my diet.

I am now down to 186.5# and holding steady. Now I understand why they stress diet AND exercise.
Changes like that are only beneficial, and not just for the obvious reasons. For example: My job picked up a recent marketing campaign for the Arthritis Foundation and the Ad Council, this campaign is designed to help people with Osteoarthritis. It so happens that this is the #1 debilitating condition in the U.S. and it's also totally treatable by managing your physical activity/keeping in shape.

Leading a healthy lifestyle is definitely something that can only help. The campaign site also illustrates, in a funny way, how exercising can be done in a myriad of ways, check it out at Fight Arthritis Pain.org

Last edited by Don-Dad; 01-06-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Daddy

I feel really glad for you guys achieving your goals. I can see how hard it is to lose weight because I have a hard time gaining weight. I'm hyperactive (read: busy!), always on the go. My metabolism races.

My goal is to hit 165 pounds. I'm about 135 now, so at 165 I'd look like a tank. Right now, I look like a beanstalk with buggy-whip arms.

You guys keep it up. It's influential to us all!