Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > Daddy Inc. - Work From Home
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 AM
Super Nice Dad

Default out of box ecommerce solution

I am looking into some ecommerce solutions. Preferably one pretty easy to set up

I have been a fan of Yahoo stores. I may try just using paypal at first as they have an easy to use set up. I am just settting up a small site at first to sell some of my dads clay pot hangers.

Anyone have experience with any ecommerce software or sotes that offer ecommserce solutions? It has to be fairly cheap too as I doubt we will be making a whole lot of cash.

HockeySave.com
Old 01-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Believe In Blue!

I use godaddy's quick shopping cart for my store at http://markerkits.com
It works pretty well. It has a basic inventory control system, lets you schedule sales, and offers both UPS and USPS shipping. PayPal is integrated into the system and they do have a program to accept credit cards. They also have applications for Froogle data feeds and listing items on Ebay. Everything is done by templates and there is no need to hand-code anything. The even offer a variety of sales reports.

There are a few drawbacks, the biggest being that their shipping is limited to US addresses. The custom weight-based shipping front-end is limited to 10 different weight ranges. That makes things tough if you want to ship by first-class mail and have a wide range of product weights.

Rachel (Dec '03)
Alexa (Sep '05)
Phil (Nov '09)
Old 01-19-2006, 05:44 AM
Super Nice Dad

remind me to get you a link on my sports site when I get to revamping the paintball section :D

HockeySave.com
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
computerguy

OSCommerce may be a bit overkill, but it's a free shopping cart, very flexible and works pretty well. You can integrate your paypal account with it easily, have inventory levels and all sorts of things...

If you're looking for something simple, why not just create the item for sale using paypal, put the picture and "buy now" link on a website? May be all you need..

Dusty
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Super Daddy

Paypal is really a simple solution. For occassional items, the give a good rate. And many people are very familiar with it. When I used it, I found their online manuals and tech support to be very helpful. I'm pretty sure they have a decent, easy to use shopping cart setup as well. Best part is the credit card processing fees and system are all included. No worries about setting any of that up.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Super Nice Dad

Yeah, I was going to use the buy it now buttons, but you know, I am a little but of a web nerd so I was looking for something I might use later on a more ambitious project.

HockeySave.com
Old 01-20-2006, 01:22 PM
computerguy

Then take a look at OSCommerce... it installs fairly easily and is pretty straight forward..
Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Daddy

Anything more complex and you'll probably have to set up a merchant account for credit card processing. That means monthly minimums, and all that.

I switched from Paypal to my own system a couple years ago to get more control. Set up a merchant account with Chase Manhattan. They had good competitive rates, and nice software support -- it was pretty easy to download their PHP script and integrate it into my own shopping cart code.

Dan
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 AM
bobbie

I use pagebuzz.com - they're a do-it-youself solution that comes with everything incluing an integration into PayPal.

They're charging $9.99 /mo for hosting which I find to be quite cheap for what they offer.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 AM
Always Irritated

2 posts, both about that website and look at his sig, get him don.....