Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Default Poultry Brine and rub

I'm hoping to do some serious smoking this month. At least six chickens and two or three turkeys. Sometime in there we'll probably do a pork shoulder.

If I don't brine the birds, they get tough in places. I used to just throw a brine together without caring much about what goes in besides the salt and what not. I figure some of you guys must have brine recipes. I need to find some TenderQuick so that the sugar/salt/phosphate formula is taken care of.

Then for the rubs I found it easy to go to one of the many spice outlets for the way too many online spice warehouses here in the Fort and pick out a batch. Any easy mixes I should just throw together myself?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
It's beer:30!

Im not a big briner. In fact Ive only brined once and my final product came out salty tasting. Maybe it was a bad recipe. Honestly, I really dont think its necessary. Most of my bigger cuts of meat Ive done slowly over on the Weber (often with the rotisserie), and they usually come out great. Seems like brining is the newest trend like deep frying was.

However, I dont think you ever need to brine a pork shoulder. There is so much fat content in there its just not needed. Low and slow on those things and they will be moist as all get-out.

There are recipes out there, dont buy a mix. You might need a big plastic bucket (from HD or something) to brine a big turkey in the fridge overnight. Check out they are starting to talk Turkeys already.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Im not a big briner. In fact Ive only brined once and my final product came out salty tasting. Maybe it was a bad recipe. Honestly, I really dont think its necessary. Most of my bigger cuts of meat Ive done slowly over on the Weber (often with the rotisserie), and they usually come out great. Seems like brining is the newest trend like deep frying was.

However, I dont think you ever need to brine a pork shoulder. There is so much fat content in there its just not needed. Low and slow on those things and they will be moist as all get-out.
+1. No need. Low and slow. If you want some recommendation on a dry rub or two I'd be more than happy to throw a few your way.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

I take that back, Ive brined twice. Once tasted salty, the ohter time (last thanksgiving) I didnt detect any difference at all. And though no one said so, I thought the bird was a little dry.

Dont get me wrong, Ill try it again. But so far Im 0-for-2 on the technique.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
"Not Willsdad"

I've brined a turkey before, but it didn't really do anything for it. My turkey is moist every time cooking it without brining. Piss on brining.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Brining the turkey helps it pick up a lot more smoke in my experience. Since I have the buckets and keg fridge, it's not much work. The chickens can get dry quick when I'm smoking them with something else. The turkey's going to be in for 6 or 8 hours. The chickens will go in with two hours to go. I haven't had brines result in salty meat. Using TenderQuick probably makes a big difference.

No intention of brining the shoulder. But I'd like to use the same rub.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Get a Big Green Egg. Then you don't have to worry about drying things out. Everything stays nice and moist. Mmmm. I've never had any problem with any meat not taking on smoke. Just put them in cold. The rest takes care of itself.

I can't see how having salt in my meat is going to make it absorb more smoke. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe salt opens pores, but I would think it would do the opposite.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 PM

what kind of wood do you plan on using with them birds?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Get a Big Green Egg. Then you don't have to worry about drying things out. Everything stays nice and moist. Mmmm. I've never had any problem with any meat not taking on smoke. Just put them in cold. The rest takes care of itself.
Sorry. Don't have any interest. Just doesn't appeal to me. I smoke stuff and do it big. Tending charcoal is not for me. Taking on smoke isn't an issue, but I get some deep penetration with what I do. The nitrates and nitrites might be the big difference. A nice thick smoke ring in every bit of a 26 pound turkey is a beautiful thing.

Quote:
I can't see how having salt in my meat is going to make it absorb more smoke. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe salt opens pores, but I would think it would do the opposite.
If I remember something I read right, in the rest you give the meat before applying the rub, the meat forms a layer on the outside that takes up the smoke and just sort of helps suck it all in, smoke, rub and fat. I've not had a dry bird, but there are bits that can get tough (not the same as dry) when I don't use a brine.

But I should have known better. I'm into big boy barbeque with full smoke houses and smokes approaching 20 hours. Forget I asked anything.

Cub, I have Hickory, Mesquite, Bourbon Barrel, and Lilac. Probably have others available. I'll grab what feels fun at the time. Lilac is the one I'm intrigued by. It's supposed to have an interesting aroma. I might save it for some pork chops, though.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn74 View Post
But I should have known better. I'm into big boy barbeque with full smoke houses and smokes approaching 20 hours. Forget I asked anything.
Yep. That's why I have the BGE. Don't have to mess with charcoal all the time and I can smoke for ages and get GREAT results. Don't mess with little itty bittie chickens and such. You can enjoy all that "big boy" barbeque all you want. LOL. I take it if you don't use charcoal and are just burning wood for your heat. Good stuff. Maybe you do have some sense. For a minute there I thought you used one of those propane or electric smokers. Then I would have laughed in your face.

BTW- You obviously don't have knowledge or experience with the Worlds Best Smoker. LOL.

Last edited by Hockeyfan; 11-04-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling like a 12 yo