Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Career SAHD

Default Young Man Cave project

I said a long time ago I'd post some pics of my winter project. I'm hitting that end of it bla's stage and need some motivation to finish up, so I'll get around to it now and the next few days.

I don't think my family has any idea the time, thought process and work it takes to do this stuff. Especially with an old (100+ years) house where out of level means an inch in a couple of feet, and out of square is, well, WAY out. And of course getting it done at the same time as the everyday responsibilities, even though it's way less than most of you since boys are in school 6 hours a day, is slow.

So here's the before. The flowered curtains I made way before kids, my wife liked the fabric. The stenciling on the wall she started after first pregnancy, not real manly. Our boys (both in this room) had to endure this until now.

The small closet had this short little small door, hard to get to much in there.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Career SAHD

Speaking of everyday responsibilities time to make 4 boys in our house some lunch, get back to more pics later.....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Career SAHD

As with any project, there's stuff you don't see. Some spots like this had been patched and were way higher, so to get the drywall semi-straight, just ripped it out. The old lathe and plaster was pretty wavy, took a lot of shims to get it even close.

New drywall, after filling spots I found that were missing insulation:

Where the old closet was, the only spot I ripped out all the plaster. The sloping part over the stairway had been boxed over, it was a spot to gain a little space. Lot of unseen work to get it attached better to support stuff. Where the JM insulation is, there was none before. No wonder their room got cold.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Nice job. Hope it all comes together. What are you putting in? HDTV? Projector? Pool table, kegerator....?

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Career SAHD

Drywall in this little cubby wasn't the funnest.

Here's the stage that I'd showed before. Kinda nice in pink and white, eh? More Manly? This was when I told the boys the paint chip they picked from was off ( really was just tinted primer)

Some details. I made these blocks with a moulding cutter on the table saw long time ago, believe it or not. I had some left to match the ones I'd put on the door and window trim couple of decades ago.

Top of that trim. The main trim I make with 3 passes on the table saw moulding cutter, the medalion on top I bought.

Made this sill with the cutter too long ago when I replaced the window. Bottom piece was with a router.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Career SAHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Nice job. Hope it all comes together. What are you putting in? HDTV? Projector? Pool table, kegerator....?
Haha, no. They have enough of a hard time staying away from screen time with one laptop. Some of what they put in will kinda be up to them, I need to finish what I'm working on now first. But no TV in there, our house rule.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Career SAHD

Original plan was to make a bigger closet. When we saw how big it was without it, along with the fact that they rarely hang up their clothes, decided to do this platform bed there instead. Good thing Sao doesn't come around, he'd give me $%@# for using 2x to support it.

Pieces for drawers under the bed. These are BIG drawers. I found some really long ball bearing slides for them to run on.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Career SAHD

And here we go. If only it really went this quick. They picked the colors and track lighting.

These drawers slide like silk, and close with no gaps around the edges whatsoever. You have no idea what it takes to do that with crooked floors and walls.

Here's the shelves in the added space over the stairwell. The different angles and shapes drove me nuts. But our youngest loves it.

Only thing I hired out was carpet.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

Nice Work Riggs! I have really enjoyed this thread.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Career SAHD

And now for the next phase, loft bed for the other boy. I don't have a ton of experience with steel, so this took some thinking and learning to figure design sizes and gages. It's made to be the whole width of the room, so there's some extra room up there. 4 feet wide too so some extra width also. Here's the side rails going together.

Last edited by Riggs; 05-31-2011 at 08:23 PM.