Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Question fridge is too tall, what to do?

Our new fridge is about 1/4" too tall to fit under the cabinet and I need to trim away at the lip which is plywood. Sanding with a hand sander wasn't making a dent and so I bouth a 6" hand plane and it's doing only a little better. To quote Tim (the Toolman) Taylor I think I need "more power" (arr arrr arrrrr!) I don't have the time to fuck around with this. Which power tool/attachment is best for this job?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
It's too quiet!

Router with an end mill? Jigsaw?

Last edited by jeffus; 03-16-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM
"Not Willsdad"

It's just a trim type piece under an overhead cupboard? What about a jigsaw with a fine wood cutting blade. Then sand smooth, then stainnor paint. That's what I'd do. Then again you could hire a pro.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Reminds me of the time my uncle wanted a particular tv in his basement but the door wasn't wide enough, so he had it replaced. Then the stairs weren't wide enough, so he had them done, too. It was something like $5000 to fit a $2000 television in there just because it was a Sony and that was his Sony room. He was a rich SOB.

But it sounds like you're on the right path. I remember seeing some home improvement show where they ran into this after changing flooring from linoleum to laminate or wood flooring. But I wouldn't know what you'd use to search for that.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Always Irritated

It depends on if there are doors and how it is hung as to what I'd use, if there are just the typical couple of screws holding it to the wall with no caulk or what not I'd take the cabinet down and run it through my table saw, if it was to much of a pain in the ass to take down I'd use a circular saw and finish up the cut with a jigsaw, as over a distance the circular saw is faster and more reliable for a straight cut, but can be difficult to hold to cut, worst case use a jig for the whole cut and clean it up with a belt sander to iron out any waves, if for some reason the jigsaw couldn't be used I'd use a belt sander for the whole thing 40 grit on plwood edge would take maybe 5-10 minutes, I don't own a handheld electric planerso I wouldn't use one, but if I had one I would use it, after the table saw, possibly before the circular, definitely before the jig saw.

and I'm moving this to diy section
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

This is clearly a time when the answer to the question is high explosives.

Of course, that's the answer to most questions.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Trophy Husband

Check your manual before tearing your kitchen cabinets apart. All 4 wheels are adjustable on my GE profile for just this situation. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sao95 View Post
It depends on if there are doors and how it is hung as to what I'd use, if there are just the typical couple of screws holding it to the wall with no caulk or what not I'd take the cabinet down and run it through my table saw, if it was to much of a pain in the ass to take down I'd use a circular saw and finish up the cut with a jigsaw, as over a distance the circular saw is faster and more reliable for a straight cut, but can be difficult to hold to cut, worst case use a jig for the whole cut and clean it up with a belt sander to iron out any waves, if for some reason the jigsaw couldn't be used I'd use a belt sander for the whole thing 40 grit on plwood edge would take maybe 5-10 minutes, I don't own a handheld electric planerso I wouldn't use one, but if I had one I would use it, after the table saw, possibly before the circular, definitely before the jig saw.

and I'm moving this to diy section
A circular saw would be tough for someone to use who isn't comfortable with it and experienced. Maybe he is....don't know. As is the same with a planer. I have electric and manuals. Still, a jig saw is easy to use and will get a nice level cut as long as you use the right blade and take your time. If it comes down easily, then surely cut it with a table saw. Your cut will be so clean you almost won't need to sand! Again, without being there it's hard to know what your dealing with.

Mark's idea is good. Although I'm SURE you already checked that.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 PM
It's too quiet!

Mark's idea is very good!

Look at all us neaderthals going right for the power tools...ready to hack away at a perfectly good cabinet. Sometimes, the obvious answer isn't so obvious.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffus View Post
Sometimes, the obvious answer isn't so obvious.
You mean, "Hire a pro"?