Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 04:52 AM
D.C. Hughes

Question More Energy?

Hey there!

Mein Leibchen is feeling a wee bit run down these days (second trimester and it's averaging 70 F outside already), so I'm looking for high energy recipes/menu suggestions.

Thx!

PS: She absolutely hates fish--or anything else that lives, or lived, in water...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Official Site Hatemonger

Pasta. Carb her up and she'll feel better.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
D.C. Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
Pasta. Carb her up and she'll feel better.
Thanks for the suggestion.

We eat pasta a lot--Italian (out) and she makes a lot of goulaush, pasta salad etc.

But, that does make me think of "carbing-up" from my bike courier days--so news axis of thinking.

Thx!
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. Hughes View Post
Hey there!

Mein Leibchen is feeling a wee bit run down these days (second trimester and it's averaging 70 F outside already), so I'm looking for high energy recipes/menu suggestions.

Thx!

PS: She absolutely hates fish--or anything else that lives, or lived, in water...
She shouldn't be eating fish, especially shellfish anyway if she is pregnant, so that is a blessing in this case.

Its normal for her energy to wane. It's her body telling her that it needs to take it easy and slow down. Be sure she's getting food high in Omega 3 and DHA. Is she taking a pre-natal vitamin; as that should help in giving the healthy fats for brain development of the fetus.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
ScottyG

My wife, who is about 10 days from her due date (whoa!) with baby #2, has been pretty run-down lately. She's not a vegetarian, but just doesn't like meat very much. But this past week, she's been desperate for turkey burgers, barbecued chicken, and so on. Her energy perks up pretty well when she has a big old-fashioned meat and potatoes dinner.

And also, BREAKFAST! Single biggest factor towards my wife having good energy throughout the day.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
M But this past week, she's been desperate for turkey burgers, barbecued chicken, and so on.

Sweet! Hopefully for you she keeps that up eh.

If it really is knocking her down don't hold off on going to the doctors in case something is wrong. Getting a good dose of steak may not be the total answer (can't hurt though). I forget the symptoms my wife had, but she was low in iron. I think being tired was her issue. She got some supplements and she was good to go.

I just checked and feeling "more fatigued" is a symptom of low iron. Please read.
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/anemia/a/enoughiron.htm

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 AM
ScottyG

HF: Totally possible. But also, my wife can't sleep for crap, and hasn't slept deeply for more than a couple hours a night for the last couple of months. It's a normal late-pregnancy problem, and iron ain't gonna fix it. Coffee and burgers it is!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 AM
D.C. Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
Is she taking a pre-natal vitamin; as that should help in giving the healthy fats for brain development of the fetus.
She has them--'tis a wee bit 'o a "fight".

The iron causes other issues... (But, at least she'll take the "Flintstones Chewables" when I can convince her)
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 AM
D.C. Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
I just checked and feeling "more fatigued" is a symptom of low iron. Please read.
http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/anemia/a/enoughiron.htm
Thx!

Hooah!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. Hughes View Post
She has them--'tis a wee bit 'o a "fight".

The iron causes other issues... (But, at least she'll take the "Flintstones Chewables" when I can convince her)

Hmmmm. . . . have you told her that this isn't actually about her? It's about a wee little person that is being entrusted in your care. Sometimes being a parent is not what you want or like, but rather, what is best for your child.