Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Acoustic guitar building

As I'd relayed in a previous thread I have a friend who lives nearby who is a photographer by trade but has also started building acoustic guitars and fell into a great deal on many of the tools and materials needed to build a couple dozen guitars. I've been over to his workshop a few times and have seen others online who've shared their newfound passion in guitar building and I got a little inspired myself. I told my friend John as much and he (knowing that I'm a shutin who's going slowly mad) offered me the use of his shop and tools and even set me up with some of the materials needed.

Well, it looks like the ball is officially rolling on this. Last week I ordered plans for a type of guitar I could never afford outright and tonight he and I sifted through his materials and decided on a set of South American Mahogany for the back and sides of my proposed guitar build and western red cedar for the top.

My wife thinks I'm nuts but has long known that I love playing and discussing guitars online. She says I already have too many hobbies but the way I look at it I'm taking my time and putting effort toward building something that I'd enjoy and would cost a LOT of money otherwise. It's not exactly like I spend all my time playing video games after all.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM
SAHD to RN

Congrats on finally making the leap, Kwak! Enjoy the process!
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Good for you man! Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Souds great, Kwak! Make sure to take pictures to share!

"The world is full of guys. Don't be a guy; be a man."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club."
Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks, guys. I figured that you all would know the challenges in scheduling that a project like this would present. As it stands now, the only time I truly have to myself is in the evenings. That's because we still have our hands full putting the boys to sleep and usually it's about 9:00 before we can flop down and sigh. This will change things - which is part of why I'm doing this project. I'm tired on not getting to go out before everything closes for the evening. I want to see about sneaking out one night a week (ideally Tuesdays) immediately after supper and putting in a good 4 hours a week. I don't know how realistic that is, but my friend John has said it'd be OK with him if I need a year or two.

I also want to see if I might be able to do some stuff at my own place, ideally something that only requires hand tools like chiseling out braces or shaping the neck with a rasp.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Just glad to be here

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Super Duper Daddy

It's officially underway. Last week I picked out the boards and last night we joined the bookmatched mahogany boards for the back. I'm getting a little more comfortable working with the plane table but I'm still not adequately confident in my abilities so I had my friend "check my work."

Last week we glued together a some MDF to make the molds and last night I finally traced the outline of the guitar shape on them. Next week we cut them out and I'll have a form to use in the bender as well as a framework in which to place the sides once they're bent.

Next up is to trace the shape for the sides and cut the ribs (long boards used for the sides) so that we're ready to bend. The back of the guitar is not a straight line; it gets deeper as you move down the length of the body until it's about 4.75" deep at the end pin.

Meanwhile I'm still thinking up the look of the guitar. I have the cedar and mahogany picked out but I want to use rosewood for the trim and heel wedge. I haven't decided what kind of rosette to do but I think I'm going to do some sort of wood inlay as opposed to abalone which is pricey.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Cool! You taking pictures?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will'sdad View Post
Cool! You taking pictures?
+1
You have to take pics of this project!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Very fortunate

Nice,sounds like a lot of fun,.. and work