Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Autistic.

Miss this thread. Ive been contemplating on going on guitar sites but well, been keeping myself busy and not much time. Im going to look back but Kwak I have been wondering if you know of any home based luthiers that build necks for solid body guitars?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 PM
Trophy Husband

Hi
Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I pretty much stick with acoustic guitars. Electric guitars have lost their appeal for me. Plus, the neck joint is completely different; a tongue in groove type of pocket joint as opposed to the traditional acoustic dovetail or more modern mortise-tenon joints.

That being said, there has been some discussion on a couple of the guitar forums I frequent. Those forums are pretty much for talking shop, not soliciting business.

You can pretty much get a neck built for you by Warmoth. That's the place where electric hobby builders seem to gravitate toward. I hear they're pretty expensive though.

http://www.warmoth.com/
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 AM
Autistic.

Hi Mark.

Kwak, I have heard of Warmoth. The neck prices are not that bad really. As for those forums in regards to talking shop, Im more capable of building the body than the neck. The neck to me is the frustrating part. Thanks for the link. Much appreciated. I can pay to have a poor mans American made Fender.

Last edited by DC; 05-31-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Duper Daddy

For me carving the neck is one of the more therapeutic parts of the build. I have TWO blanks that I could conceivably go all Amish on with a spokeshave. The fitting and the fingerboard are the tough parts. The latter requires EXACT measurements between the frets or else the intonation is all off. Getting the neck mated to the body at the right angle can also result in some serious finger pain down the road if the strings are left too high.

Speaking of which, have you ever played a fretless bass. Back in the day (mid 80s-early 90s) I used to listen to Peter Gabriel and his bass player played a fretless as well as using a pair of sticks to hit the strings all xylophone style.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:11 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Ow. My eyes!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Sorry, irie. Trying to upload pics.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Duper Daddy

OK, here ya go:

Long story edited for brevity, I visited my friend in Ohio who is a luthier. He offers advice and sometimes will hook me up with materials. I haven't been working on my second guitar build and wanted to get going but had had a bunch of roadblocks. I took all my stuff to show him. On Sunday he took a look and told me that I'd sanded the soundboard too thin but that it was still salvageable. I'd just have to overbrace it. My friend is rather secretive about his bracing so I won't post a pic of what he gave me to install but it's very similar to what everybody else does with a couple of exceptions that you won't find in a factory guitar.

FYI: the top is Carpathian spruce which is good stuff if done right. I played one of my friend's guitars made with it and it knocked my socks off. I'd have sold my kidney for it if it wasn't already sold. I'm hoping this one sounds half as good.

In the meantime, the biggest holdup is that I've been struggling with the decorative rosette to inlay around the soundhole. I wanted to do something a little different this time around but I recall having a lot of trouble the first time.

What I'm trying to do is make a radial rosette. This is my first attempt and it broke so badly trying to glue it in and snake those black and white purfling strips in that I went back to the drawing board.

Basically, I'm cutting a piece of scrap veneer (about 1/16" thick) and cutting it into 12 wedges with the grain pointing toward the middle of the sound hole circle.

Then I glue it all together with super glue. I bought a plastic cutting board from the dollar store to glue it up because superglue doesn't stick so well to it. That's a good thing.

Now I'm struggling with routing it out to the proper size and shape using a Dremel. That's where it broke the first time. I'm still learning to use the tools and need to plan how to install it. I also want to go back and put in a bit of the shiny stuff, but more on that later.

Once the rosette is in I can flip over the soundboard, cut out the outline of the guitar body shape and start to glue in the bracing. I've already done that with the rosewood back plate. A few more satisfying steps and I "close the box":

Old 07-23-2016, 03:09 AM
Just Dad

Helluva a bit of carpentry, Kwak. It looks good.

I'm going to try my hand at a bed frame soon based on a design I cooked-up in my stress addled state of mind.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Helluva a bit of carpentry, Kwak. It looks good.

I'm going to try my hand at a bed frame soon based on a design I cooked-up in my stress addled state of mind.
Good luck with that. Furniture is a whole different deal; simpler yet trickier. I've trying to shore up our kitchen table. I don't have the ambition to build our own but I'm getting there.