Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I was told they don't have to be 100% but there are some that HAVE to be or the guitar won't ever be in tune or comfortable to play. Sure, I didn't have to trace the plans so exactly but I did so because I couldn't mechanically duplicate the same profile several times with hand tools without relying on my template.

I know it's not going to be perfect but after seeing the troubles my friend had with his first build I don't want to make similar mistakes. At this stage, I just want a guitar that's symmetrical with sides that are not "cupped" so that the structural block that the neck fits into is sound and positioned so that when I get the neck on the strings will be at a comfortable height.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Default finally some pics of the actual guitar wood

After the grand rosewood rosette fiasco a week ago my friend John snapped some pics:

Yes, I have a set of coasters, but what I really have plans for is that ring. I'm pretty happy with that western red cedar top too though!

He's either proud that we gouged up his $10 postal office table or perturbed. I can't tell:
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Why get a guitar Kwak? All you need is an iPhone.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Pretty cool, but not for me. I don't even like playing my electric guitar anymore.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I guess I'm taking a break. My friend tells me he's getting slammed with work so no late night workshop sessions this week. Crap. I wish I could borrow his dremel and soundhole jig but I'd probably ruin my sounboard or take off a finger.

Ah well, time to think ahead. I think maybe I could build a neck at my place. It'll take me a while and I'll have to buy some carving tools and clamps but at least I'll be accomplishing something and taking out my aggressions. Looks like I'll have to spend at least $100 though. Wife won't be happy.

BTW, I don't know if I shared this but here's my inspiration this week:
http://acousticguitarbuild.blogspot.com/
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Super Duper Daddy

My friend John emailed me the other day and told me that Tuesday looked good for me to come over. So last night I packed up my stuff in the car and went over there with the intention of finishing the inlay process of my rosette into the cedar soundboard plate (the top), cutting out the sound hole and cutting it to shape (about 1/8" outside the true outline.)

Well, it turns out that the work I did last time wasn't up to snuff and things were actually a bit rushed. Sure, it took 6 tries to cut a ring but in actuality it was only a partial success. Yes, I have an unbroken ring but the edges are too rough to smooth out and the thickness of the ring is all over the place. If I tried to clean it up again with the dremel it'd split sure as shit.

So... we did another couple of tries with some rosewood scrap and made sure to cut more carefully with the dremel. Instead of one pass with the bit set low enough to cut completely through the wood though we did 3-4 passes and the result was much better. Where before there was a lot of tearout where sections of wood grain were ripped out it was nearly perfectly smooth. In addition, we cut a thicker ring so it's less likely to split when I glue some laminated black/white/black purfling to the inside and outside of the ring and glue it into the sound board.

That's the plan for next time. I've traced the outline of the guitar shape template to the cedar as well as the location of the soundhole. It's just a matter of cutting a trench in the cedar then and brushing it with shellac. I need to do that because I'm going to be using super glue to glue the rings in and I don't want the glue to soak into the cedar grain because when it comes time to put a gloss finish on the completed guitar it will compromise the process and cause a "halo" around the rosette.

...but for now I only need to finish sanding the top so it's smooth and then I can work on the bracing on the underside. The back has to go through a similar process (though instead of a rosette I need to cut out a groove for a strip of rosewood to run down the centerline) and then after that I bend the sides and the body will start to take shape.

I was thinking of starting work on the neck here at home but haven't decided on what to actually do. More on that some other time though.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

I met Joe Nelson from Fond du Lac, WI at the pipe show last weekend. He brought along a prototype 12 string. He made it before making one for a customer. Absolutely astounding.

(That interview was from the beginning of this month, just published this weekend.)

Good luck with getting those rings finished.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Duper Daddy

That's cool, bjorn. A 12 string is a really hard one because those strings exert twice the pull on the same size neck and body so they have to be a little beefier. Because of that they usually don't sound as "deep" as 6 strings. $3500 for a custom acoustic is actually not a bad price. My friend in Ohio starts at $5500 and he's been at it 10 years.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
That's cool, bjorn. A 12 string is a really hard one because those strings exert twice the pull on the same size neck and body so they have to be a little beefier. Because of that they usually don't sound as "deep" as 6 strings. $3500 for a custom acoustic is actually not a bad price. My friend in Ohio starts at $5500 and he's been at it 10 years.
At first when I saw the prices, I was like whoa, that is eff'ing expensive - but then again, my wife is a musician and she was telling me that classical string players pay big money for their instruments... still, a big chunk of change!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

His pipes are dirt cheap when it comes down to the market space he's in. A guy outside of Marquette, MI makes enough on selling one pipe that he can fly to Japan for a single sale and still make a huge profit. I expect that's why he's doing more pipes.

That 12 string looked fragile, in a good way. The neck looked even thinner than a normal 6. Lots of inlays and silver. Maybe someone got a photo of it.

Last edited by Bjorn74; 10-28-2010 at 01:28 PM.