Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

With a guitar, the lighter the better. The problem is that they usually don't last more than maybe 10 years. My friend built his to weigh less than 4 pounds and compared it to some pricey guitars and was told his sounded better. The bigger builders prefer to "overbuild" them so that they don't get a lot of warranty claims. The problem with that is that they don't vibrate as freely.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I haven't been able to do much with my guitar for the past 4 weeks or so, so I've been making luthier clamps out of oak. They seem to work OK:

BTW, my 3yo likes to help. It's nice having a sidekick again:

One last thing that's more on-topic. I bought a 3/4" board of actual Honduran mahogany from the local lumber yard. That stuff is getting hard to come by because of newly-imposed import restrictions under the CITES treaty. I'm hoping it's good enough to make a laminated guitar neck out of.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Hoo boy, I actually did some cutting on my guitar build last night and Dremeled out an indentation in my cedar soundboard to place the rosette. I had to quit halfway through so sorry no pics. I'm hoping to finish up on Tuesday and then move on to getting it to start being shaped like a guitar. Pictures then, I promise.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Career SAHD

I thought you'd said something about not being "handy?" Those clamps look complicated with tight tolerances, very cool. Nice work.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks, Riggs. They actually slip a bit. I have to drill holes for some dowels or something. All I know is that the "real" ones for sale at Steward-MacDonald work fine.

Meanwhile, I'm told that that board is "rift to quartersawn" meaning that it's no good for a laminate neck, but I can resaw it and use the quartersawn 2-1/2" portion for a neck shaft. It's long enough that I can cut a 15 degree angle about 7-1/2" from one end and flip it to make a scarf joint at the headstock. I think I'd still need to get more mahogany to make the heel though. It'd still be cheaper than if I'd bought the wood online though.

The other night I got a window to go over my friend's place and work on the rosette some more. I was a little overly-generous with the superglue but I used shellac on the woods so it won't soak into the grain and will sand off. I still need to use a cabinet scraper to make the rosette flush with the top and then mix some superglue with sawdust from my cuts to clean up any gaps.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM
johnferrignon

I'm sure you will enjoy it. Congratulations!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnferrignon View Post
I'm sure you will enjoy it. Congratulations!
There's nothing to congratulate just yet other than having a very generous and patient friend. I'm a long ways off from finishing unless I start doing stuff here at home. For that I have to find a way to keep the humidity levels in my house around 35-40% or else the wood would start to warp.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Roddy

Cool clamps, I had my double bass repaired by a luthier in Vancouver before I left. They use all kinds of tools most of us have never seen before! He used a 340 year old hand reamer for the dowel in the snapped neck. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Cool clamps, I had my double bass repaired by a luthier in Vancouver before I left. They use all kinds of tools most of us have never seen before! He used a 340 year old hand reamer for the dowel in the snapped neck. Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Yeah, I'm looking for a jack plane right now but I'm told that the stuff that's on the market right now is crap (the undersides aren't perfectly flat) and that you really can't use them right out of the box. I hear Stanley planes are THE ones to get, but a jack plane from them costs about $130.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Dad in Training

Kwak, the precision tools are usually very expensive. I had a music store and a guy doing instrument repair. The cost of the tools he needed were unreal, but then again, they were precision tools.