Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy
Default Airsoft Guns

Anyone have any experience with the entry level stuff? I have shot a few EXPENSIVE ones, but was wondering if the lower end stuff is worth it for some simple target practice in the yard?

Looking at the UNDER $50.00 Electric for my oldest. There are some highly rated Spring Pistols, but was looking more at the Assault Rifles. I don't know if he could cock the spring pistols. I want to shoot with him not just keeping setting the gun for him.

Airsplat has some, but I don't know if the rating really mean anything.

Any Advice?

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Have ya heard about the RED RIDER BB Gun with a compass in the stock?!
Cheers! Jeff
Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Cleaner upper

No experience with the airsofts, but personally I'd get him one that looks like a regular hunting rifle if the goal is to teach him gun safety and how to shoot. A tricked out assault rifle model may distract him from the whole concept of learning responsibility first.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Trophy Husband

http://www.atafa.com/sports/products...le-308830.html

My son and FIL have this one. It might have been discontinued. Not sure. Even at this price point it works great and is a lot of fun.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

I don't go for airsoft. I don't like aiming any type of gun, toy or not, at people. I know that people shoot at each other in paintball just like airsoft. But I still don't agree with it.

If you just want it to teach how to shoot, get a BB gun for less money.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

He has a Daisy BB Gun, but the BB's actually come out at a really high velocity and can tear a can apart from a good distance. We go over safety all the time, but he gets put out with the BB gun because it is REALLY difficult to cock and our shooting options are small because of the velocity that little copper BB has.

Most of the entry level Airsoft have a much lower velocity...

I just worry that the low end will be too low...

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
I don't go for airsoft. I don't like aiming any type of gun, toy or not, at people. I know that people shoot at each other in paintball just like airsoft. But I still don't agree with it.

If you just want it to teach how to shoot, get a BB gun for less money.
The airsoft would be for TARGETS ONLY... Not people... I have lots of research to do. The problem with the BB gun he has is velocity and difficulty cocking.

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Wiper of Noses

I got a little airsoft bb gun that was a pistol and I liked it. It was cheap. It was good for short range practice.

But like some of the guys said, be careful. They are not "harmless" and soft. Saw a case on Judge Judy about a young kid who hit another in the eye with the gun. I think the magic age was 12, but the parents were clueless and left a bunch of boys from age 9 to 13 in the yard, with guns, basically alone. (watching from window)

I think my grandpa taught me how to shoot a .22 rifle when I was fairly young though. I'm thinking like 10? hard to remember. But he was always with me, and he was WWII vet, marksman rated on rifle and carbine, IIRC. He said never aim at anything you don't want to kill. True words.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Trophy Husband

I/we preach safety also.

These are standard issue here.
http://www.atafa.com/sports/products...sk-274068.html

This along with common sense and a Gilly (sp?) suit and there is little room for error.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Super Daddy

Send a message via MSN to troy00690

We are using the Glock gas operated G17 airsoft for our training. We do shoot at each other for training and things like that. We wear full paint ball mask, Bullet proof vest and that is it. It is great training for us. At 350 FPS you know when you get hit. Some good direct shots will leave marks. Out of about 25 rounds hitting me I only had 2 marks. I have talked to people about the spring operated ones. Most have said not worth it. We have a flea market in our town and they sell the the spring powered rifles. You can pick up an M4 with scope or and AR15 with scope and flash light for about 40 bucks.

I have dealt with Airsplat before and I am not impressed with there customer service. Our academy uses an off brand airsoft and they have specific oem parts. They sold me 2 mags for my G17 for the wrong brand and would not take them back. I am stuck with 80-bucks worth of mags that I can't use. I have dealt with http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/ and they guy I talked to there helped me with what I need and made sure I got the right stuff. Also said he would pay return shipping if they did not work.

Tonight we are doing some active shooter training at CQB City and we are going to get lit up like a Christmas tree.