Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Daddy

Default Gain and lose at the same time?

OK, so the basic deal is, if someone just knew my height and weight, he'd think I was right where I should be. However, nothing's where it should be. I have a gut, but I have some twigs for arms and legs.

I don't currently have it in the budget to join a gym, but I'm at a point where I just hate looking in the mirror.

Is it possible to gain and lose at the same time, or do I have to work on one and then start on the other when I'm done? Should I do more cardio than strength training until the gut's gone, or more strength until I have the muscle I want? Or do I just do a fair amount of both?

I don't want to have some of the health problems associated with a gut, but I also tend to get sick a lot if I drop below 160. I do have some wiggle room right now at 173, but I think it's all in my gut. As far as tools at my disposal, I have a pull up bar, dumbbells, resistance bands, and a medicine ball. I'm mildly active now from chasing after the kids, but I really need to step it up. Any ideas?

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 AM
Super Daddy

Send a message via MSN to troy00690

Start simple. Eating better is the best way to start but the healthier the food the more expensive.

Set up a circuit course to do. Start off at what you think your abilities would be. You can do this in your living room while the tv is on. You will need a timer also. I would start with 30 seconds each, pushups, situps, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, diamond pushups, star jumpers and body builders. You will be sweating when you are done. Take a quick water break and do it again. If you are in ok shape then bump the time up. The harder you push yourself the better you feel.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Alpha Dog

When I was going to the gym I was warming up on the treadmill for 20 everyday and then going from cardio to weights every other day. So I was doing major cardio at least 3 or 4 days a week and major weights the same. So try a fair amount of each until you feel you are ready enough to take the training higher. After I get rid of this Bronchitis I will be back at the gym. They moved buildings so they are closer now.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029
Old 04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Daddy

I started training for boxing recently and my trainers suggests no weights, but get trim through cardio work and plyometrics. I've been doing jumping jacks, footwork, stair steps, and the elliptical machine.

I'm so much more sore these days having switched to boxing.

Despite the pain, consistent training like a boxer will reduce the gut, the excess fat, and add some muscle to the arms and everywhere else.

Best of all, you can do the exercises in the house for months and see major results. Worked for me so farů (I'm actually doing the opposite, gaining weight, not losing it. I went from 135 and am now 144, in about two months).
Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 PM
davidkk

alright so basically after ignoring the gym everything gone to my gut lol....no seriously what are some good tips to gain muscle while losing weight at the same time? is it possible? should start dieting first for a couple months and do cardio, then start eating while lifting the next few?
spam removed

Last edited by tt3; 09-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkk View Post
alright so basically after ignoring the gym everything gone to my gut lol....no seriously what are some good tips to gain muscle while losing weight at the same time? is it possible? should start dieting first for a couple months and do cardio, then start eating while lifting the next few?
Look right above your post, Daddy
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 AM
davidkk

oooo...yess :D
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Daddy

OK, so I was talking with some people about hard gainers, and they gave me a couple guys to Google, neither of whom looks like he had any trouble ever putting on muscle - probably the same weight I was at 18 by the time he was 10.

So I tried looking up famous hard gainers. There was a forum where it was said that Arnold Schwartzenegger was considered a hard gainer? WHAT???? I'd kill to be a hard gainer if that's what a hard gainer is!

King of a blended family - Three girls (23, 23, 20), three boys (19, 8, 6) and four angels who didn't make it ^i^ ^i^ ^i^ ^i^
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
New Daddy

Yes, there's definitely a way to bulk up and shed fat at the same time.

First of all, try eating a lot of small meals every day instead of 2-3 big meals. Also, eat a lot of one ingredient foods, i.e. beef, chicken, fish, almonds, cashews, fruits, veggies, etc. Avoid carbs.

Using somanabolic nutrition explodes lean muscle growth without any fat. Traditional bulking adds rolls of useless fat and can lead to serious health issues. Anyone can contact me if they need more info about this.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason44 View Post
Yes, there's definitely a way to bulk up and shed fat at the same time.

First of all, try eating a lot of small meals every day instead of 2-3 big meals. Also, eat a lot of one ingredient foods, i.e. beef, chicken, fish, almonds, cashews, fruits, veggies, etc. Avoid carbs.

Using somanabolic nutrition explodes lean muscle growth without any fat. Traditional bulking adds rolls of useless fat and can lead to serious health issues. Anyone can contact me if they need more info about this.
I can probably do all of that except the avoiding carbs. I get some serious dizziness if I go low on my carbs, but between chasing the kids around and hauling freight at night, I move around a lot.

As for somanabolic nutrition, you've given me something to look up.