Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Canadad

Send a message via MSN to Neodaddy Send a message via Skype™ to Neodaddy
Default Got a Smoker!!

Okay boys, bought myself a small smoker, offset style. Suggestions needed (and perhaps recipes) for my first foray into smoking. Cut of meat? Charcoal? Rub? Brine? All thoughts welcome. Complete novice.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Get you some lump charcoal. Royal oak or whatever you have around you. Buy a pork shoulder (called a butt). You can use whatever rub you like. Any will do the job. You can slather mustard on it if you wish and then rub it down. Add some hickory or apple or whatever wood floats your boat. Smoke until the meat reaches around 195-200 F internal. Keep the temp of the smoker at around 250. Should take 1.5 hours/lb I think the standard is. I'll run mine for 14 hours or so on a butt.

Enjoy. Ribs are also easy. Plenty of forums for offsets out there. I like to do my ribs at 250 for about 3 hours, then foil for an hour or hour and a half depending on how fall off the bone you want them. I put apple juice, honey and brown sugar in the packets. Then sauce and back on to finish. Easy and tasty. Also use hickory or apple or whatcha like.

Cubfan has a smoker like that and can surely help on making your unit much better than stock and more efficient. Efficiency is not what those are known for.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Canadad

Send a message via MSN to Neodaddy Send a message via Skype™ to Neodaddy

Got the lump. Old school, best school. Need to source some wood here. Really looking forward to ribs, butt, whatever.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 PM
"Not Willsdad"

It's alot of fun. I would be happy to walk you through something over the phone, but I have only a bit of experience with the offset style cooker. I could give you more info on how to get the meat ready and how to know when it's done and all that. Let me know via PM if you want. Cubfan has one of these and so does CT Don now too I think. Not sure if he's used it yet.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Ribs are also easy. Plenty of forums for offsets out there. I like to do my ribs at 250 for about 3 hours, then foil for an hour or hour and a half depending on how fall off the bone you want them. I put apple juice, honey and brown sugar in the packets. Then sauce and back on to finish. Easy and tasty. Also use hickory or apple or whatcha like.
I've been practicing my skills with some ribs this summer. Will likely try the foil wrap next time to see the difference. Same thing, 250F for a few hours. Been using some hickory chunks, but I need to get some local applewood. Need to find a place that carries butts and St. Louis cut ribs.

I've found a basic rub and some good smoke go a long way:
equal parts of
kosher salt
ground pepper
dark brown sugar
paprika (good quality)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Huh?

The first thing you should do is extend the chimney down. Since heat and smoke rise, you lose a lot out the top if that's where your chimney is.

Get a piece of roof flashing and roll it up and stick it in the chimney from inside the lid. It will unroll to the same size of the hole. now pull it down or trim it off so that the bottom of it is nearly touching the cooking surface.

Now it will draw the smoke right across the meat on it's way out.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
It's beer:30!

Congrats! I have an off-set smoker, it's a fuel hog on those long smokes, but it gets the job done. Overall, you will be happy with it. Just keep it covered, if it's the same brand as mine, cuz they rust quickly.

Start off with some ribs or pork butt, like HF said, they are very forgiving. As for rubs, any old recipe will do. I like 1/3 kosher salt, 1/3 brown sugar, and 1/3 a mix of herbs like oregano, sage, rosemary, etc.. I like mine spicy - ground smoked chipotle, a little cayenne, and some smoked paprika. Do NOT use reugular table salt, it has iodine in it and will taste like shit.

I'm not a fan of lump charcoal, especially for offset smokers. It burns too fast, and you're already going to use a ton of fuel with that type of smoker anyway. Regular old briquettes are the way to go, and add chunks of wood here and there for the smoke.

This is what Yoda is referring to. I did it to mine. It does help rake the smoke across the meat more. Oh and you can probably forget about the stock thermometer on the unit. They all suck, get yourself a cable/probe type.

Last edited by Cubfan; 07-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM
"Not Willsdad"

???? My lump lasts 15 hours. Some guys get 20+.

Post some pics of yer results Neo. Yummmmmmmmm

Old 07-02-2011, 06:09 PM
It's beer:30!

that's cuz your type barely lets in any oxygen. it smolders more than it burns. no way are you going to get that kind of time in an off-set smoker.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Official Site Hatemonger

I have an electric smoker I found a few years back. Not as nice as a charcoal one, but free is free. I just put two Boston Butts on to smoke, with a few handfuls of hickory chips. I smoke it until the chips are burned off, then I finish them in the oven. I'll be having fresh BBQ for dinner.

No rub, no sauce. That's for the table.

"If any of you need anything at all, too bad. Deal with your problems yourselves like adults." Ron Swanson