Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

Default Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet

We get this from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream in Columbus, OH when we're there. 2 half scoops (~1/3cup) costs $4. A pint sells for $12. But all of their stuff is at least that much. Lucky for me, they sell a cookbook with all of their recipes and techniques. And the book is only $24 at the store, less on Amazon. (Use the link at the top so Don gets credit.) It's called Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home.

I got it for my wife the last time we were in Columbus and gave it to her for Christmas. But we made sure to have the ingredients handy for two batches of this Riesling Poached Pear Sorbet. It's delicious.

1.75lb Pears (she says 6 medium) peeled, cored, and cut into small cubes.
.5c Sugar
.5c Riesling wine
.25c water
.25c light corn syrup

Fill a large bowl with ice and cold water.
In a saucepan, bring the ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue cooking for 5-8 minutes.
Puree in a food processor in 2 batches.
Pour through a sieve into a 1 gallon zip-top bag to remove chunks, purge air and seal.
Submerge the bag in the ice water until cold.
Freeze in a frozen core ice cream maker according to the directions.
Ripen in the freezer for 4 hours.

We used a late harvest riesling that was maybe a touch too sweet. A little more acid would have been good, but it was still great. The book has so many more types we need to try. I'm buying ingredients today to make something for the rest of the week.

Oh, and anything in this book is powerful. A couple tablespoons really satisfies.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Cleaner upper

Well that was a week late! I just polished off a box of those Harry & David pears. I do have a whole case of various Traverse City Rieslings though.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 AM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

You'd rather eat those pears, I'm guessing. We got a crate of pears at Sam's for $6 that was perfect for two batches. The first batch is almost gone. I'm either making the second batch in the morning and then a batch of their "darkest chocolate ice cream in the world" Wednesday morning or just one of the two. The core takes a while to get back down to serious freezing temp.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
aka KlugeDaddy, Ben

I made "The Darkest Chocolate Ice Cream in the World" from the same book the other night. I think it needed to churn more. But it ripened fine. A couple days later, it's got a little ice crunch inside but not too bad. Very nice. We had some leftover Swiss chocolate from a sampler my MiL brought back. The dark was only 50%, but still very good. Coffee really sets the chocolate flavor off well. I threw in a dash of cinnamon that worked very well, too.