Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Trophy Husband

Default How Do Your Kids Address Adults?

I guess I am old fashion from what I am seeing more often these days. I prefer my kids to address other adults like friend's parents as Mr. X or Mrs. X and I like their friends to address me the same way. I now have 1 friend who likes to have the kids call her by her first name and nothing else. I have heard it helps her feel like she is not getting older. Her son calls me by my first name and I just ignore him until he comes around. And they are from the Texas which makes it a bigger mystery. That is "yes ma'am, no ma'am" country. We now have another friend who like the kids to call her Auntie X. WTF? Any other guys have issues with this yet or care one way or another?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I tend to go by first names unless I know that the adult prefers otherwise. Most people in my neighborhood do that, as do the parents of my kid's friends, so that's probably what influenced it. My kids call me Dad. My son had a phase where he liked to call me by my first name, but I didn't make a big deal out of it one way or the other and it passed on it's own (as do most issues when they aren't magnified, I've found).

I was kind of thinking about this as I'm bringing the kids to my new school for a few hours tomorrow and I was wondering how I might introduce them to any staff that we might run into. I'll probably do Mr./Ms. there, or better yet, let a few introduce themselves and use that as my cue. I don't know many names anyway, so that should work.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Super Duper Daddy

My kids default to Mr./Mrs. unless directed otherwise by the person in question.

"The world is full of guys. Don't be a guy; be a man."

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"Don't think, it can only hurt the ball club."
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
We now have another friend who like the kids to call her Auntie X. WTF?
That's just bizarre.

I'm 38 and I still call my friend's parents by Mr. or Mrs. X upon greeting; after that it's just 1st name in conversation. It's a small sign of respect, but I believe an important one.

My daughter calls me daddy, which I'm perfectly happy with. She calls my closest friends 'uncle' (I don't have any siblings) and knows to call other adults Mr/Ms. I hope that sticks with her. I believe it a subtle reminder to kids, especially teens, that other people's parents, teachers, etc. still carry some authority.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electriclime View Post
I'm 38 and I still call my friend's parents by Mr. or Mrs. X upon greeting; after that it's just 1st name in conversation. It's a small sign of respect, but I believe an important one.
I'm 49 and still do it if they are still alive....Respect of older adults is important in my house too. Mr and Mrs (first name)
Josh-- 3/07

My Blog
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Certified Shit remover

Typically Shawn & Brendin address our close friends or family by there first name or casual friends or business associates like i.e Mr Smith. Shawn & Brendin typically refer to teacher or aides at school as Ms Audra and so on. We have made to clear that they need to respect there peers mom/dad and elders.

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 08-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Beach Daddy

Our girls do a mixture. Most of our friends that we are around often they refer to as Mr/Mrs. and then their 1st name (ie. Mr. Eric). They call are older next door neighbors by their first names.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 AM
"Not Willsdad"

We live in the south. It's Mr so and so and Miss so and so. Always. I corre.ct mine if they don't use it. I do myself to people and use Sir. Respect.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
It's beer:30!

I dont care for this trend of kids calling adults by their first name. We are guilty of doing the "Mr Jim" thing, but we are now getting away from that. It's time to teach these kids some respect.

There are a couple kids in the neighborhood I like to razz. They'll call me by my first name and I'll be like "who? I think you mean Mr. K". It kind of scares them a little

you can tell which families are the class acts by how their kids address adults. Some of our friends wont budge on that. Im starting to agree.

Last edited by Cubfan; 08-16-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Very fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbart View Post
My kids default to Mr./Mrs. unless directed otherwise by the person in question.
This ..