Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Cleaner upper

I don't have a specific college savings account. Rather I set up a regular savings account for my daughter when she was born and have an auto deposit that goes in there every week. Who knows what life will throw at you, so I figured it was best to just save money for whatever she may need down the road.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Dad in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
We have TAP 529 funds for both boys but they took a big hit a few years ago when the bubble burst in the stock market. My wife and her dad were both paying into them but honestly I haven't been keeping up on how they're doing. At this point I'm giving up hope that Justin will ever go to college and am hoping we can roll those funds into a special needs trust. If not, then Joey's financial future is also dismal since when we're gone he will literally be his brother's keeper.

I haven't given up hope on Joey though. He's just started kindergarten but I'm trying to get him to focus on his homework every day. He can be lazy at times - which I admit he learned from me - but he breezes through it and has the social skills and outgoing personality that should get him far in life. We just have to work on that stubborn streak of his.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but homework in kindergarten?

To bring it back to the topic at hand.
Is it possible to check now about the TAP 529 on whether that can be rolled over for other things? I don't know what this is or how it works, but it may be better to be proactive and quit putting money towards this if you can't roll it over into something else in the end. I know with our RESP, if it isn't used for College, or university, then we lose the amount the govt. put towards it, although we do keep the amount we put in to it. I can't remember if we get the interest or if we lose that in the end. So there are specific strings tied to our RESP.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
"Not Willsdad"

My kids have homework in kindergarten too. It's easy like Kwak said and the kids blow through it quick. It's good for habit forming. My oldest is in grade 2 and had stuff every night as well as reading.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
You know I said it my post that college wasn't the only road to success right? Plenty of slacker kids and athletes go to College for the experience I guess. Thats about it. Kids who are driven, work hard and study a major that is worthwhile usually get good jobs. I know what side ofthe coin I'd rather be on.
So were you a slacker kid or an athlete? I know what I was and it definitely wasn't an athlete.

My post was more about addressing your 100% comment (or starting a business).

Edit: And my kids had "homework" in Kindergarten too, we get a calender at the beginning of every month that has stuff to do, simple things like "Find 10 things in your house shaped like squares" and the like. The boy in first grade gets honest to goodness homework, he likes doing it too so I'm not going to complain.

Last edited by Captain Tuttle; 11-01-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
So were you a slacker kid or an athlete? I know what I was and it definitely wasn't an athlete.

My post was more about addressing your 100% comment (or starting a business).

Edit: And my kids had "homework" in Kindergarten too, we get a calender at the beginning of every month that has stuff to do, simple things like "Find 10 things in your house shaped like squares" and the like. The boy in first grade gets honest to goodness homework, he likes doing it too so I'm not going to complain.
What? That I expect my kids to go to College? I 1000000% expect them to. Lots of non-College people or drop outs went on to start businesses. Some of the greats in this Country. It's a fact. They however are outliers. it's not the norm.

I went to College, but married up. that's the other key. I was a Scientist. LOL. Now I'm just a dad.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Cleaner upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
I went to College, but married up. that's the other key. I was a Scientist. LOL. Now I'm just a dad.
Same here I got my MR.DaD degree
Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Career SAHD

Sweet bump. Oldest got his first scholarship already, right before he starts high school. Only $300, buy hey, good start. He was 3rd in the state on his SAT score for writing for 7th and 8th graders, of the kids who took it and applied, little over 100 (great part of being in a place where we're outnumbered by cows). As he said though, only the pretty decent achieving kids do this probably. Fingers still crossed for more in the future.

Tell you man, all that reading when they were little. And maybe having a journalism major mom too, hehe.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiesco Viduata View Post
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but homework in kindergarten?

To bring it back to the topic at hand.
Is it possible to check now about the TAP 529 on whether that can be rolled over for other things? I don't know what this is or how it works, but it may be better to be proactive and quit putting money towards this if you can't roll it over into something else in the end. I know with our RESP, if it isn't used for College, or university, then we lose the amount the govt. put towards it, although we do keep the amount we put in to it. I can't remember if we get the interest or if we lose that in the end. So there are specific strings tied to our RESP.
Old bump but wanted to respond: we started a TAP 529 for each kid when they were born. Justin probably won't got to college so we have to roll it over to some sort of savings for when he becomes a special needs adult.

BTW, yup he has homework but it's "practice" so he's not graded on it but I want him to get into the habit. He breezes right through it and doesn't even need me to read the instructions anymore. In fact, he's actually reading quite well now - no thanks to me. Meanwhile I used to read to his brother all the time but I don't know...every kid is different I guess.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Sweet bump. Oldest got his first scholarship already, right before he starts high school. Only $300, buy hey, good start. He was 3rd in the state on his SAT score for writing for 7th and 8th graders, of the kids who took it and applied, little over 100 (great part of being in a place where we're outnumbered by cows). As he said though, only the pretty decent achieving kids do this probably. Fingers still crossed for more in the future.

Tell you man, all that reading when they were little. And maybe having a journalism major mom too, hehe.
Excellent. Send that kid my congratulations.

So did you have to apply for anything? How old is he? I never thought of applying for a scholarship that measures 7th and 8th grade performance frankly.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Alpha Dog

WE got lucky.. In-laws set up a trust for all the grandkids in the family, so they will all have a chance to go to college. So our twins are pretty much set on going to college if they want. We will encourage them to go to college either that way or by some sort of scholarship. Or by military, that is how my wife went to college... Navy ROTC.
Noah & Abigail - class of 2029