Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Weight loss 2015

My wife and I have decided to lose weight together. I bought her one of those wrist bands for Christmas that she has slaved to her iPhone and added a third workout per week and has lost a couple pounds. She had me download an app called "myfitnesspal" which we both have been using to track calories taken in (with the help of the bar code scanner) and calories burned (through the wristband and the iPhone's built in motion sensor) and tracking our weight.

The realization came to me when size 38s got a little snug and I'd get winded too easily. I'm turning 46 this summer so I also need to slow the March of time. I was nearly 40 pounds heavier than when Justin was conceived 12 years ago and feel like 175 is a decent enough goal. I'm not about to go run a marathon or anything but I want to be able to keep up with my kids. Hopefully shedding the pounds will ease the load on my frame and eating (and sleeping) better will reduce the aches and pains and give me more energy.

I've set a modest pace of 2 pounds per week which the app tells me is attainable with a 1500 calorie diet and 10,000 steps per day. My wife has trouble meeting that goal on her off days (a sedentary job will do that) but if I take Justin for a walk, do a modest amount of housework or go to the gym and get on the elliptical for an hour I hit it. It doesn't measure cardio but it still somehow adjusts my caloric intake and when I went to the gym I burned nearly 400 calories while maintaining a target heart rate. The elliptical does track cardio though so I need to take a USB cord next time. Next time I won't celebrate by ordering pizza though. Ugh.

Anyway, too wrap up a post that should just be a progress report, I'm already down about 3 pounds so far. I don't feel much difference yet but I find the numbers reassuring.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 01-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

I posted a nice long post and then it 404'd on me.

Screw that.

Anyway, good luck and congrats on stepping in the downward weights! We use LoseIt and like it, we also joined DietBetter.com put in $30 each betting a 4% loss in 30 days. Winners take a cut of the pot, guaranteed to get your $30 back if you lose the weight, likely more as they have about a 31% finish rate.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Super Daddy

Kwak, what the fitness industry doesn't want you to know, is that the formula for weight loss is 80% what (not how much) you eat, and 20% exercise.

Exercise is a determinant of muscle tone and fitness, but not necessarily weight loss. It's actually NOT about calories in, calories out.

Here's what works for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat.../dp/0307474259
I checked it out electronically from the local library.

http://eatingacademy.com/start-here
This guy is the Phashizzle.

What didn't work for me:

http://bodyforlife.com
I was diligent and worked extremely hard and could never get back below 205lbs.

Once I got my macronutrients in order, 2 cups of vegetables per meal, contain sugar to 25 grams a day, and carbs to 45/day, without exercise I got to 185.

There's an old saying amongst the body builders: abs are made in the kitchen, not the weight room. This is what they're talking about.

Last edited by Tomcat; 01-10-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Beer me!

In my nice long post I also said we've been changing the way we eat. Although we already kind of have to eat healthy by default since our kids have food allergies, we have gone to buying more organic veggies and fruits, free range or cage free meat and eggs... that kind of thing. As I've written about before I make my own bread, have been now for two years. Last fall I switched to organic whole wheat bread flour. The kids'll eat toast in the morning instead of cereal!
My wife and I, we don't eat much bread. My downfall is the whiskey or beer in the evening.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Mogwai not for sale.

I've lost a lot of weight following something similar to what Tomcat suggested. I had no choice but to cut my carbs and sugar intake. I was really good about for awhile, but have slipped a little lately. I'm down to around 211, which if you look at the past weight loss threads I was probably in the 255 range a few years ago. I try to incorporate organ meats in a meal at least once a week....liver is effing disgusting. I can eat it in liverwurst form, but I often find myself trying to choke it down with straight liver. That's after I prepare it with bacon and onions. I'm trying to eat grass fed meats, raw milk and and pastured eggs. Lots of healthy fats and try to use tumeric spices when I can to help with any inflammation. I'll eat raw butter and cook with that or tallow, or lard.

I've been doing this since August and my cholesterol actually went down, my blood pressure is good and the only thing I am deficient in is Vit D. I wasn't really good about taking my fermented cod liver oil to help with that.

I'm also trying to eat more vegetables and greens and trying to eat some of that raw. So far so good.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

FWIW this app does measure foods' values in cholesterol, protein, vitamin C, vitamin B, saturated fats, etc. my wife is also pushing more "rabbit food" and I'm consciously trying to cut out sweets and salty snacks high in sugar, sodium and saturated fat. I can't give up the beer, though I'm not having a bottle every night anymore.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Trophy Husband

Diet? Weight loss? Sorry, clicked the wrong tab.

Good luck fellas. I am just an eat less burn more kinda guy.

Last edited by Mark B.; 01-12-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Beer me!

You ARE kind of a rat... ;)

(If hock were still here he'd be giving it to ya. )
Old 01-12-2015, 09:27 PM
Just Dad

Thanks for the updated "2015" thread, Kwak.

Mark, go eat some chili cheese fries and leave us fat guys alone.

So I reached a new weight high of 314 a few days ago. I'm doing the TomCat diet (NK) as of Saturday and expect some good numbers. No/Low Carb (under 15grams a day), lots of meat, butter, fat, some veggies. I'm already feeling better today.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

314?!? I hope that's a typo! I am not one to judge. For my height I should be 160 - which seems completely unreal.

Anyway, thanks to a little stomach bug I dropped another 1/2 pound. That's nearly 5 pounds so far without much effort. The only downside is the migraines but I think my motormouth 7 year is to blame for that.