Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Weight Loss
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

We're still on the downslide but slowed way down since the spring.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Kicking this thread out of zombie land. The day after Labor Day I was 210 pounds. On Labor Day we went to a friend's house and ate like pigs. My portion meter is out of control so I had an extra helping of mac and cheese with pepperoni and ate a whole rack of rigs coated in nice sugary BBW sauce.

The day after Labor Day the host had a "mild" heart attach and last Thursday he had a triple bypass. He's 5 years younger than me. My dad died of a heart attack at age 36 and the latest pictures of him he looks bad - and I don't look much different. How's that for motivation?

I won't lie. I've been afraid to go see my doctor. I DON'T want to go on statins. Now more than ever I am firmly entrenched in the belief that medicines can do more harm than cure the symptoms they're prescribed for. I need to change my lifestyle. In a way, I've already started - though it's been at a high cost.

I've been making it a point to drink about 16oz of water as soon as I wake up, not have breakfast with Joey and at least go for a couple mile walk through our hilly neighborhood - not even overdoing it. This week I was down 4 pounds - though I admit I cheated. I downloaded that Whole30 Program and am reading it over.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 09-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Trophy Husband

Kwak, get you ass to the Dr. at least once a year. Weight does not define health. I am on a low dose statin for the last 2 years and my blood work comes back fine every six months and I try to watch what I eat but enjoy everything. We are the top of the food chain damn it. Act like it!! Everything in moderation. BTW, my BP was measured at my Dr.'s office yesterday at 120/84.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I hear ya, Mark. There's a lot of other things that need fixing. In fact, I suspect that I'm due for my 100,000 mile overhaul. I don't know if it would be convenient to anyone else's schedules though. I don't exactly have the greatest support system.

Anyway, last night I took a walk after supper. The path I take is only about 2.5 miles so ideally I should do it several times a day but it's up and down hills so it at least gets me to elevate my heart rate and break a sweat. A couple of years ago I would take Justin with me and I lost 5 pounds easily. Even though I don't have my walking buddy anymore I'm still down 4 pounds so far. My scale isn't the most accurate so I will check it 3 times but each time it said 204.8 this morning.

Last year when I counted calories I was down to just under 200. That's my short term goal. I don't want to lose too much too fast because I know that's just water weight which can wreak havoc on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys. There were a couple of times when I went on bike rides that were too long and too far and I actually felt terrible afterwards. I'm not that 140 pound kid anymore who could ride 20 miles on hilly terrain even on a heavy steel framed bike.

No, I need to be more sensible. I need to step it up by drinking more water during the day, cutting out caffeine and make dietary changes by cutting carbs and especially sugars. I need to especially cut out the cereal and potato chips and replace them with some form of low cholesterol source of protein.

I especially think getting better sleep is necessary too. I have consistently been terrible at that because I have trouble turning my head off at night for the worry. I'm convinced that mental health plays into it too.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 02-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

i don't excercise. I quit jogging when I got married- hah ha!
I used to walk daily. Intense uphill treadmill style fast burst- short bursts- level off. Last time I did, I woke up unconcious on the floor.
Started a simple 1/2 hour 2mph walk today. First time in a year. With permission
Felt good
Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Not a daily journal or nothing, but I did manage another day on the treadmill. 2.8 mph, with a gentle slowdown so as to not stop and pass out, followed by a rehydrate and walk through the house a bit.
Epilepsy be damned!
Good times!

Last edited by irie feeling; 02-14-2017 at 01:02 PM.