Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 AM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

I put together a chicken coop.

(what the crap are we doing!)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post

Wow. My friend did that a couple of years ago. Got chicks yet?
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 08-26-2017, 01:08 AM
Beer me!

Two grown birds, 4-6mos, need to be rehomed by next week. Our city allows them (will ask forgiveness vs permission when city comes knocking)
Should be interesting.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3 View Post

We've talked about getting chickens from them to time. On one hand, fresh eggs! On the other hand... friggin' chickens.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Duper Daddy

I have all the chair rail up in the foyer along with almost all the picture frame molding in the recesses. Cutting miters is tricky work. I still have to sand, putty and paint.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Beer me!

Lookin' really good!
Old 09-09-2017, 03:27 PM
Just Dad

Looks awesome, Kwak.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Coming along real nice!

Sadly I have to go unclog a toilet. Good times.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Thanks guys. That triangular recession is tough. I have to cut four 24 degree angles and I have no way to lock the angle on my miter saw so my first attempt was all off, wasting almost an entire $7 length of picture frame molding. Today I'm going to try to cut the angles on the rails for the stairway. Fun fun fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduck View Post
Coming along real nice!

Sadly I have to go unclog a toilet. Good times.

It's all in the wrist, gduck. Try not to splash too much... and remember, keep your mouth closed! ;-)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Here's what triggered my wife's OCD (pics)

My wainscoting project continues and requires angles and alignment that is a bit dicey for someone with my limited skills. So far, just dealing with right angles has been hard to execute cleanly - and a recent goof up illustrated my "n00bity."

*sigh* here goes....I'm baring my backside here just to share what a growing process this has all been for me.

I put the new blade for my miter saw on BACKWARDS. It was BURNING the wood and causing the angle to drift. Stupid, STUPID me!

Okay, now on to something that I feel like I'm completely in the right on, but my wife's OCD has been triggered. Let me identify the issue, though.

Firstly, let me point out that before I started this project there was a chair rail going up the stairs and continuing on throughout the hallway upstairs. I'm just sort of "filling it in." It did require some measuring and drawing of lines on the walls which illustrated what I was doing.

The issue is that angles for the panels going up. My wife, being a math minor is adamant that the numbers line up. If the height of the panels on the walls are 18" high, then the length of the perpendicular line between ALL *horizontal* rails should be 18". I took this to mean that she wanted all the panels to be rectangular, whereas I was thinking of the angles to make rhombuses.

I am not a technical person though - well, not completely. I'm an artist, though I do have a soft spot for geometry and think I did okay in trigonemtry in high school. My point is that I look at things in terms of alignment and continuity and "fudge" the math to make things look good. Yes, there is math involved and the numbers do frustrate me on many levels but in the end I am looking at the big picture. My wife can't see it, so I took pictures. Ironically, the morning lighting may have helped me out:

I know, the vertical stiles are not evenly spaced and there are gaps in the cuts but this is just a pecarious mockup to illustrate my point, which I tried to do last night under poorer lighting conditions with a 10 year old new math prodigy squawking the whole while so I was outnumbered. To make things even more skewed against me, my wife tried to "phone a friend" - and the friend she wanted to call happens to be a math professor at the local community college and is in the midst of Year Two of remodeling her bathroom - in stone and ceramic tile. I bit my tongue HARD when she tried to call for backup with somebody who's even more inflexible.

Going "by the numbers" though, the vertical line (using the floor and ceiling with the help of a level as absolute reference points) between the angled stiles (which is a 42 degree angle BTW) is 16.5", not 18". Note the pencil line at the stile at the base of the stairs. Her point was that the "vertical" stiles should be turned at a 48 degree angle off true so that the panels remained square and the rails 18" apart. Imagine the picture above with the stiles at an angle. When she pointed that out I recalled the disorientation I always experience when we take the escalator up/down to the Pittsburgh Zoo:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...qJK8PbryCt8AqQ

Again, though my consideration is that of continuity between the tops of the chair rails. My goal was to have a 42 degree line connecting the top of the chair rail downstairs with the top of the chair rail upstairs. The line on that stops at a point that is at the approximate height of the top of all the rails downstairs...

... and meets at the top of a panel at the top of the stairs whose top edge is equal to the tops of all the upper rails upstairs:

EDIT: note that the line on the wall is approximately the same height as the top of banister. The incongruity would have triggered MY OCD.

Again, I said approximately. This whole project has brought to light how out of "true" my house is where the walls aren't perfectly flat and all the "right" angles are a "skosh" off. I'm left to "interpret" things so that there's visually implied continuity that unfortunately does NOT line up on a spreadsheet.

So tell me, am I right or am I ???

Last edited by Kwak; 09-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.