Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2016, 12:22 AM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Don't think wet sanding would work at all, but what I've done is a trick I learned years ago from a high school teacher. You take a sponge and briefly wipe over the whole thing, just enough to get it wet maybe 1/16" - 1/8" deep. Then you go over it with the taping knife - the wider the better - pressing down some. I use a 12" wide one at that stage. It takes off the high spots and can use what it scrapes off to fill low spots. No dust, then maybe just a tiny bit of sanding after the last time.

Don't think you can do that with the quick set mud, and not sure how well it'd work for the stuff you're using Kwak, but I bet it would.
Ooh, I have something new to try!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Had to write this one down in the "best memories ever book": played the blues like a couple fools, she on her recorder, me swapping out on my didges. A little Muddy Waters "mannish boy" song, and Geo. Thorogoods "Bad to the bone."

Last edited by irie feeling; 04-11-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Diaper Jockey

Washed the interior of every window in the house. Drug the screens up from their storage space in the basement and vacuumed them all off. Put the screens on for the anticipated 70 degrees we may hit here in northeast WI this weekend.

My wife, ever the perfectionist, will come home, see the screens on the windows and say, "Gasp!!!! We needed to clean the windows first!!!" No honey, the dirt and spots you see are on the OUTSIDE of the windows. I'll get to those when the temperature breaks 40 degrees! You're welcome!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:10 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBDad View Post
Washed the interior of every window in the house. Drug the screens up from their storage space in the basement and vacuumed them all off. Put the screens on for the anticipated 70 degrees we may hit here in northeast WI this weekend.

My wife, ever the perfectionist, will come home, see the screens on the windows and say, "Gasp!!!! We needed to clean the windows first!!!" No honey, the dirt and spots you see are on the OUTSIDE of the windows. I'll get to those when the temperature breaks 40 degrees! You're welcome!

And after the pollen stops falling.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM
Trophy Husband

Today I had a wicked hard workout. It is large trash pickup this week. It happens twice a year here. Today I took apart my 11 year old home gym that finally took a shit and dragged it to the curb. I definitely felt the burn. RIP home gym! We don't owe you a nickel. 11 years and 2 moves you served us well.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Default Vinegar and baking soda as a cleaner?

Proved the cleaning power of baking soda and vinegar,
Mixed to a paste for serious deep scrubbing power. My tub/ shower has NEVER been so clean. Scrubbed away a a stain on the tub floor that's been there for a year and a half.
Pippa noticed it was gone right away.
Let's see how long until the wife notices.

Last edited by irie feeling; 04-12-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Just Dad

I finally made time to work on my HVAC project. I made a plenum from sheet metal to accommodate three separate intakes at the back of the unit in the attic. Right now there are two filter returns with the smaller return duct tapped into the larger duct that mounts directly to the back of the unit. I'm also adding a third return. So, when it's all finished, I'll have three returns with a 4" 20X30 filter on each.

Right now the current configuration is at about 70% of the what the HVAC unit requires. After, the flow capacity and filter surface area will be doubled. The back of the unit will then be the most restrictive part of the return.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 04-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Duper Daddy

This week was various small plumbing fixes like replacing old gaskets in drain pipes under my wife's bathroom sink, replacing broken mounting collars on the downstairs sink that had come loose (how the heck does that even happen?) and trying to install replacement drain stoppers. My wife's sink was particularly messy given the amount of hair stuck in there and all the "product" literally eating away at the plastic and metal. Yuck!

The weather's improving too so my basement workshop is entering that "sweet spot" of temperature and humidity. Time to get back at the next new guitar build. I'm gluing up the braces on the back using my homemade go bar deck clamping system.

This is a dry fitting. I have to get the underside of each brace perfectly curved to give the plate a slight dome shape (20' spherical radius) but I lack a good jig ATM.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 04-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Just Dad

Looks cool, Kwak.

"Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave"--The Penguins, Madagascar
Old 04-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
Looks cool, Kwak.
Yep, I dig Kwaks guitar build threads