Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2017, 01:54 PM
irie feeling's Avatar
irie feeling irie feeling is offline
Homeschooling soccer dad
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos, Pa
Posts: 5,865
Default Nfl 2017-2018

Decided I'm boycotting this year. I love football. It sickens me every time I see a player disrespect the flag, our nation, those who died for their rights and freedoms, and those who have served and now serve protecting those rights and freedoms they have.
If you have a "statement" to make;the salute to our country, by playing the National Anthem, is is not the time.

If these spoiled rotten million dollar sign on jocks wanna make a statement let them take their money to the hood and use it to work with under privelidge kids who they need to set a positive example for.
Coaches and owners, they are your employees. If my employees wanted to make a "political statement" at work that might cost me customers and $$, I'd make them stop or fire them. (See;I'm not the only one pissed off)
Thank you Colin kaepernick. I hope you have to pump gas for the rest of your life.
Go eagles!
__________________
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse, for me, will be trying to pretend I'm not excited.

Last edited by irie feeling; 08-23-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 9,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Decided I'm boycotting this year. I love football. It sickens me every time I see a player disrespect the flag, our nation, those who died for their rights and freedoms, and those who have served and now serve protecting those rights and freedoms they have.
If you have a "statement" to make;the salute to our country, by playing the National Anthem, is is not the time.

If these spoiled rotten million dollar sign on jocks wanna make a statement let them take their money to the hood and use it to work with under privelidge kids who they need to set a positive example for.
Coaches and owners, they are your employees. If my employees wanted to make a "political statement" at work that might cost me customers and $$, I'd make them stop or fire them. (See;I'm not the only one pissed off)
Thank you Colin kaepernick. I hope you have to pump gas for the rest of your life.
Go eagles!
Freedom of speech, irie - but perhaps the NFL should collab with the USO and do a game out in Afghanistan. Beforehand they can take these spoiled players to the middle of BFE and talk about how IED are not to be confused with PEDs and can mess up your life MUCH worse than some piddly little $10K fine.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2017, 04:54 PM
irie feeling's Avatar
irie feeling irie feeling is offline
Homeschooling soccer dad
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos, Pa
Posts: 5,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Freedom of speech, irie - but perhaps the NFL should collab with the USO and do a game out in Afghanistan. Beforehand they can take these spoiled players to the middle of BFE and talk about how IED are not to be confused with PEDs and can mess up your life MUCH worse than some piddly little $10K fine.
More like disrespecting those who gave you the right to Freedom of Speech, and those who continue to protect that right.

I was thinking what parents would ever teach their kids that's it's Ok to sit down or turn their back on the playing/ singing of the National Anthem?
Then it hit me. The Hippie generation, and maybe every generation since. The 70s changed were very influential on where we are today. Forgive me, I'm rambling, lunch break over, back to school.
__________________
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse, for me, will be trying to pretend I'm not excited.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM
Mark B.'s Avatar
Mark B. Mark B. is online now
Trophy Husband
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Central Connecticant
Posts: 16,547
Default

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME DISRESPECT?!!!!!!!!

Anyone else fed up with these overpaid NFL morons kneeling on the field during the national anthem? I think most fans are starting to turn against them. The kneelers on the Pats, the PATS, got booed at home yesterday. WOW! There are always plenty of military people around NFL games for pregame ceremonies and such. If I owned a team I would ask them if they would spread out on the sideline and stand next to any kneeler and salute the flag for them. Could you imagine the site of a 340lb lineman being upstaged by a 125lb woman military service person. How embarrassing. That would be. Secondly it would be great if the fans all started chanting "CET! CET!" during the games. F you assholes, y'all got bigger problems down the road.
__________________
Sent From My PC or My 4G Droid With Best In Breed Voice Recognition Software!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
irie feeling's Avatar
irie feeling irie feeling is offline
Homeschooling soccer dad
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos, Pa
Posts: 5,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME DISRESPECT?!!!!!!!!

Anyone else fed up with these overpaid NFL morons kneeling on the field during the national anthem? I think most fans are starting to turn against them. The kneelers on the Pats, the PATS, got booed at home yesterday. WOW! There are always plenty of military people around NFL games for pregame ceremonies and such. If I owned a team I would ask them if they would spread out on the sideline and stand next to any kneeler and salute the flag for them. Could you imagine the site of a 340lb lineman being upstaged by a 125lb woman military service person. How embarrassing. That would be. Secondly it would be great if the fans all started chanting "CET! CET!" during the games. F you assholes, y'all got bigger problems down the road.
Not towards you, Mark.
But if they want to take a knee let them do it at Valley Forge in January holding a musketball.
Go to Gettysburg on July 4th and listen to the park rangers describe the horror, then take a knee.
Go to Normandy, and take a knee.
I could start a whole nother argument that is what happens when you take civics out of the school curriculum. A whole generation loses respect for the flag and what it represents and when and where the 2nd amendment applies.
__________________
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse, for me, will be trying to pretend I'm not excited.

Last edited by irie feeling; 09-28-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: To
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM
irie feeling's Avatar
irie feeling irie feeling is offline
Homeschooling soccer dad
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos, Pa
Posts: 5,865
Default

I heard the veteran on the Steelers say on a news conference: "I made my coach look bad. I made my team look bad."

I was like really?
No. The coach and the team made made themselves look bad. Not you.
They must have got on his head after the game.
__________________
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse, for me, will be trying to pretend I'm not excited.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM
irie feeling's Avatar
irie feeling irie feeling is offline
Homeschooling soccer dad
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos, Pa
Posts: 5,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Freedom of speech, irie - but perhaps the NFL should collab with the USO and do a game out in Afghanistan. Beforehand they can take these spoiled players to the middle of BFE and talk about how IED are not to be confused with PEDs and can mess up your life MUCH worse than some piddly little $10K fine.
By now you probably realize you cannot protest at work. You cost me customers and money, I can fire you. It's in the NFL rule book as well.
Armband, silent protest... Hmm? Protest on your own time.

IMO sports should be about the game. Not about my religion , my political feelings.
__________________
The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse, for me, will be trying to pretend I'm not excited.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Kwak's Avatar
Kwak Kwak is offline
Super Duper Daddy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Off the deep end
Posts: 9,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
By now you probably realize you cannot protest at work. You cost me customers and money, I can fire you. It's in the NFL rule book as well.
Armband, silent protest... Hmm? Protest on your own time.

IMO sports should be about the game. Not about my religion , my political feelings.
The game has changed and goes beyond the gridiron.

Lines have been blurred. Work is no longer 9-5. Pagers saw to that and salaried positions that was now longer based on time as the standard meant that basically everybody can work "on call." Office politics and government politics now are allowed to blend where before there were "conflicts of interest" to the point where you can't express a simple opinion for fear of upsetting the apple cart. We've been watching editorialized news and programming with political slants for decades. Why should sports be any different? With all the rules and lawsuits and whatnot it's not like it's something that is completely random and candid - football especially.

Frankly it's all bullshit and the continuation of the "political correct" mindset that began in the 1990s IMO. I could give a shit. I trust my gut and vote with my wallet, even though the concept of money is continually becoming more and more abstract.

Like you, I did my time. I came out of it seeing how insignificant my opinions were in that particular stage. The fact of the matter is that the only real currency we have in this life is time, and if something makes me upset enough to want to waste it on something that doesn't benefit me then I will choose to ignore it and teach my children the best I can on the values I hold I have had to figure out on my own based on the experiences I have had.
__________________
Married to Kelly, 6/19/1999
SAHD since August, 2004
Father to Justin, 2/27/2004
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM
GBDad GBDad is offline
Diaper Jockey
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Titletown, USA
Posts: 317
Default

I will always stand, hat removed, hand over my heart for the National Anthem and will teach my kids to do the same. Ever since she was 3, my now 5 year old, whenever the National Anthem comes on a sporting event on TV says, "Shhhhh!!!! It's the be quiet song!!" That's how I feel about it personally.

As far as what anyone else does, including NFL players, I will always defer to those who serve, have served, lost someone who served, etc. I've heard veterans who are justifiably pissed. I've also heard those who said they served to protect everyone's right to free speech and expression, even if they don't agree with it.

Will be interesting to see what happens here in Green Bay tonight. Aaron Rodgers on Tuesday invited everyone in attendance for tonight's game to lock arms during the National Anthem to show, "Love, unity, respect (ironic), equality, etc." It has not gone over well! I know people sometimes poke fun of our "fan owned team" status but while it's true that your "ownership" doesn't get you anything other than a vote for the board of directors, the fans do quite literally own the team - me included. And when the fans talk, the team usually responds. A local TV station posted a poll this morning as to what you will/would do if you're in attendance tonight. "Stand at attention, hand over heart" has an overwhelming lead. This is a conservative community. The players and the organizational leadership better take note. The fans, read ownership, won't stand (no pun) for this much longer.
__________________
"Baseball is a dull game only for those with dull minds."

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2017, 05:57 PM
GBDad GBDad is offline
Diaper Jockey
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Titletown, USA
Posts: 317
Default

So the Packers locked arms last night, as did the Bears, with very few in the stands joining in. To their credit, no one on either sideline sat, kneeled, or whatever. What the fans did do is chant "USA! USA! USA!" as the teams approached the sideline.
__________________
"Baseball is a dull game only for those with dull minds."

"Ninety feet between bases is the nearest thing to perfection that man has yet achieved."

Red Smith
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.