Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Sports Talk
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default Nhl 2017

Am I reading this right? There's no thread for the 2016-2017 season? Have our Canadian, upper midwest and non expansion team brethren shunned the mantle?

Ok, I guess it's up to me then.

Last night I went to my first hockey game ever when the Pittsburgh Penguins hosted the Ottawa Senators in the newly-renamed PPG Paints Arena in downtown Pittsburgh, PA. My wife won tickets in a raffle and I took my 9yo son. Here was the view:

Section 210, row P. There was only one more row above our seats and I have to admit I had to fight vertigo. Joey was scared of the heights too but I told him it would help if he just sat in his seat and not dance around too much to get his face up on the jumbotron.

As a dad, this experience was not too much different from the times I took him to PNC Park to see the Pirates choke. I especially dislike having peoples' asses in my face as they spend more time in lines for food than actually watching the game. One guy was being especially pestilent getting up and getting beer three times in the first period but I bit my tongue for the most part - only observing that he knocked over my kid's soft drink, causing it to cascade all over the floor and behind the seats in front of/below us. That guy faced up to his transgression and replaced it, but others around us must have quietly said something to the usher who had her supervisor remove the man and his entire party. After that, we were able to enjoy the game in relative peace - though I admit that I also enabled Joey to imbibe to excess in his own vices in the form of pizza, soda pop, cotton candy and a huge waffle cone. The tickets were free but I still spent $50 in food. I admit: I had a beer and a grilled chicken sandwich.

From our vantage point I could see almost directly into the net of the opposing team for the 1st and 3rd periods and saw Fleury's sins that resulted in him being pulled. I also was able to see plays develop better than I could on a 36" 60hz/720p screen in standard definition though. It's really something to see how players scrum in front of the net or how a breakaway looks completely different - and much more apparent - when you don't have to rely on a bird's eye view from way above center ice. From a viewer's opinion, I think the technology is finally in place where you should be able to choose which vant

Now with regards to the game, this one was a real treat. Granted, I walked in with low expectations since it was school night and we had to go up to level 6 to get to our seats - and missing the national anthems too, I might add. The Pens nearly lived up to those low expectations by falling behind 4-2 by the first intermission - until they pulled Fleury and put in Murray in goal. Things really came alive in the 2nd - though the Kessel had to sit in the sin bin for interference. He made up for that later though. What really made it enjoyable - and "special" to me - was that I finally got to see an actual penalty shot and a hat trick with my own eyes.

Joey was fired up. Not for the sport, but the whole experience. As a dad I never appreciated what fun this could be. I didn't get to do this when I was a kid; besides not having a dad I also didn't go to a sports event until I was in high school - and even then that was a minor league baseball game. Though I'm still not going to take him to a Steelers game any time soon - and I'm purposely not trying to think of his brother who would've HATED the experience - I'm thinking that we're going to have to make this a regular thing. My dream is to take him to see the Nittany Lions in Beaver Stadium, an experience that I DO remember and with fondness.
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 12-07-2016, 04:12 AM
Super Nice Dad

Sounds like you had fun and saw a good game. I need to get out t Buffalo and see a game. I used to do 1 game a year, bought tickets in the best section and brought my oldest son. He was more into the food than the game as well. Been 3 years since my last game but the Sabres have sucked, tough justifying spending $200 on 2 tickets to see a shit product.

I like to go to the local AHL games once or twice a year.

Never saw a penalty shot in real life but I did see goalies drop the gloves at center ice at an AHL game, that was hilarious.

HockeySave.com
Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

I been watching street racing bore the hell out of me with their family stories, dudes on Oak Island not finding anything but a coin in 3 years, moonshiners crying, 5 people not finding Bigfoot, and a months worth of not finding Hitler, and a fat guy named josh Gates who doesn't find anything, but pretends like he will.
I reckon it's time for some hockey.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
I been watching street racing bore the hell out of me with their family stories, dudes on Oak Island not finding anything but a coin in 3 years, moonshiners crying, 5 people not finding Bigfoot, and a months worth of not finding Hitler, and a fat guy named josh Gates who doesn't find anything, but pretends like he will.
I reckon it's time for some hockey.
Are you still going to root for the Devils or switch over to the Flyers? I hear there's a pretty good AHL team over in Wilkes-Barre...
Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I haven't been to a Sabres game since before my 6 year old was born. Between the drive, and the cost of tickets, and how the team is playing, I haven't really worked up the excitement required to go again even though we used to always have a good time.

Actually I haven't been to an AHL game in awhile (or whatever league the Elmira Jackals are in... those are like watching a live version of Slapshot). Though the last Crunch game I was at there were about 30 or so minutes of penalties handed out before the puck even dropped. There had apparently been a lot of bad blood the game before and it kind of carried over.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Eagles. Definitely Eagles! Go Eagles!
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Eagles. Definitely Eagles! Go Eagles!
Aw, man....*facepalm*
Old 01-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Trophy Husband

It is never too early to start the brainwashing process on your kids.

http://nypost.com/video/baby-monitor...d-rangers-fan/
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Wow. I can't believe there's been no NHL banter this year - and that I was the one who started this thread. Are you all disenfranchised or something?

Anyway, the Pittsburgh Penguins are going back to the Stanley Cup Finals for the second consecutive year. The last time they did this was 2008-2009 but are hoping to repeat the trend that happened a generation ago when the now owner of the team was still playing. Chris Kunitz made the winning goal 5 minutes into the second overtime in one of the most exciting - and exhausting - games of recent memory. It was his first goal since February and was beautifully set up by Sidney Crosby.

Way to go Pens!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

I'm a Sabres fan, their seasons was pretty much over on opening day.

Watched that Pens game last night, and I'll admit I was cheering of Ottawa. It was a good game though, lots of back and forth. But either way I want to see the Predators win. I seem to dislike a lot of Eastern conference teams...