Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > New to Site - Just Saying Hello
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Anonymous

Default First forum visit

Wow, I really lucky I found this forum. I checked out the Slowlane forums and everything there is pretty old.

I've been a SAHD now for a little over 2 years. I have two kids, a girl (26 months old), and a boy who's almost a year. It has certainly been challenging, especially when the second child came along.

Here's my story in a nutshell:

My wife and I were both active-duty military when we met back in 1998. We married in 2000, but before we did, we decided that I would get off of active duty when we married, with the possibility that I'd be the SAHD. She was higher-ranking than I, had better prospects in her career field for future promotion and would not get deployed nearly as often as I would.

Now it's almost 6 years and two kids later. It's certainly been a huge adjustment for me, and it's been very difficult, especially since we have to move every couple of years. I'm sure I'm experiencing a lot of similar things that others have. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with how things are going, but it is a lonely road. Since we move so often, I have no friends in my local area and that is probably the hardest part for me. It's kind of sad I can't think of anything to do when my wife gives me some time off for myself. I'm still a reservist in the military, and my weekend a month of all-adult work is the single thing that has saved my sanity. Hopefully I can get some advice and tips from others here.

BTW, I currently live in San Antonio Texas and would be interested in contacting any other SAHD's in the NE part of the city.

Glad to meet you all!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Welcome! This is a great site. I don't have a huge social circle either so this site is great to toss around the occaisional idea with like minded folks. One thing that helped me was learning to do things alone when I found free time (e.g. go to the movies, etc.). It was weird at first but when I deprived myself of these things because I didn't have a "posse" to ride with it messed me up.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Ok, this is me, I just registered with the site!

And thanks for the reply!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

Welcome aboard, glad you found us. This site has been a great way for me to keep my sanity as well. Well, that and brewing ;) beerslide
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Welcome

chugchug:

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Welcome! I can relate to the not knowing what to do with yourself when you have free time :???:

Look around a bit on the site and you'll find some good ideas for sure
Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

Cheers mate. chugchug:

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Always Irritated

you gotta find the military wives group. That's basically what I'm in here in Corpus. All their husbands are military except one. they have all been pretty cool as well, as for finding other sahd's that's been difficult. Oh and welcome..
Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I've thought about that, but I've had bad luck with "wives" groups. I'll give it a try here though and see how it goes.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:27 AM
Always Irritated

is your wife enlisted or an officer?