Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Paracord Bracelets. Made in the USA!

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > DIY Dads
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
housedude

Default insulation

Hey i just replied to jeffus post on hvac spider. I was wondering if anyone here has insulated an older house and did it save that much money. I have a 50's house with no insulation in the walls an very little in the attic. Before I go cutting holes and blowing insulation and repairing holes in the walls I wanted to see some real life savings (not just the insulation companys bloated numbers). I will probably just do the attic because its realitively simple. I also need better windows but that ones way over budget.

To think I could have bought a newer home but hey wheres the agony and joy in that?

TIA
Old 09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Trophy Husband

I know there are state and federal rebates (to a limit) on insulation expenses. I recieved some docs in my last bill. Look around.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
"Not Willsdad"

Housedude, I know your pain. My house, although not as old (1979) had single pain windows and wasn't very efficient. I added a bit of insulation in the attic and the walls already had it. I have seen numerous shows indicating that you will save money. You should definately caulk around your outlets (from the inside) and switches. I can't believe there is no insulation in the walls. Was that the norm back then. I guess your in Georgia eh. But you still need it for the AC. Also you could purchase a hot water heater insulation blanket. Get it at Lowes for 20-30 bucks (I think). You are supposed to get your money out of them within 2 years. May have even been 1 year, but 2 sounds right. You can seal from the outside of your house too with caulk beneath the siding or other gaping holes. Expanding foam works. I replaced 75 percent of the windows in this place with new ones (double pained and all that crap). I think that helped alot. There are no-longer huge drafts by the windows. I used expanding foam to seal them as well as the new front entrance door. Good luck.

Andrew

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:35 PM
housedude

Markb I will look into it, the only problems I have seen in the past were disclaimer about a contractor performing the work.

Hockeyfan I caulked around the windows and sealed every hole with expanding foam except outlets (good idea) One hint for others if you have registers do not use foam around them unless you think you will never take them out. I am leaning more and more toward windows because the drafts are really noticeable. Did you do the 75% at once and see a diffrence? or did you do them at diffrent times?

BTW block home just brick -> some type of board with black paper on it ->studs then drywall
Old 09-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Daddy

The attic is a good place to start. Our old home in San Francisco had very little or no insulation, so we had some blown into the attic. It's a simple procedure, and on a hot day you could immediately feel the difference.

I have a ten year old house that was well insulated, but every winter I still have to walk around and clog up drafts and leaks. Sigh.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Super Duper Daddy

If your walls are already insulated with something, then your best bet is to probably add insulation to your attic and then work on stopping air inflitration, which is typically a huge loss of heat/cooling. It may be worth it to invest in a contractor that will use one of those fans to depressurize your house to find air leaks for you.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
"Not Willsdad"

They can also use temperature sensing equipment to find leaks inside your house. Find the warm/cool spots. The windows are great. I did them over a year or so. Did it myself so it was a bit slow. Did every room upstairs (8 windows) and 4 windows downstairs. No drafts at all now. More efficient for sure. I could feel cold air coming in from the windows previously. Just depends upon if you plan on moving. I wouldn't bother doing new windows if your going to move (like I am). It wasn't planned though. Insulate the attic for sure. Insulation is cheap and will save you in the long run.

(someguy) "I'd absolutely recommend teabags."(someguy)

I AM a Southern-fried Maple Leaf.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Trophy Husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by housedude
Before I go cutting holes and blowing insulation and repairing holes in the walls

TIA
You would be able to blow your own insulation in walls versus using a contractor?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:10 AM
It's too quiet!

Yeah, you can rent the machine at Lowe's (or the Home Despot) and do it yourself anytime...

Wear a respirator! ;)
Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I agree with whoever said start with the attic... you can add a lot more "R value" to your attic space (almost unlimited thickness of insulation). Later you can decide if you want to do the walls, but like you said you'd have to cut holes in every bay... that's a lot of "blow patches". Besides you probably have 2 by 4's as wall studs and that would limit the r value you would be able to add, versus the amount you can get from your attic (and floor if you have a crawl space!)