Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

Default Mustard Tri-Tip.

Did a tri-tip roast on the grill last night. First time I'd tried the cut and it was a total winner. Sliced a quarter inch thick it made one of the best steak sandwiches I've ever had. Juicy, tender and flavorful. If I had another one I'd be cooking it right now!

Anyway, consulted the Weber cookbook and marinated it in a couple tablespoons of brown mustard, A1 sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and chopped fresh rosemary for a few hours.

Seared on the fire five minutes a side and then cooked indirectly with the lid on for another 30 minutes or so. Took it off at about 135-140 degrees in the center and let rest for 5 minutes.

These can be a little hard to find as there's only two per steer and it's often just cubed for stew meat or ground for hamburger, but Trader Joe's usually has them in our area. Sometimes also sold as Bottom Sirloin. Usually 1-1/2 to 2 lbs, so just right for one hungry SAHD, with a few scraps left for the Mrs. ;)
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM
It's beer:30!

Sounds great! Which Weber book did you get it from? There's a bunch of them out there these days.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Dowdy Kitchen Man

Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
CaninUs

Out here Tri-tip is the cut of choice. We cook it over oak wood after dredging it in a salt, pepper, garlic salt coating.

Tri-tip is awesome, but like you said hard to find. I wanted to treat my family in Canada to a little Santa Maria Style BBQ (search the web for SMS grilling tips) and I couldn't find a butcher who knew the cut.

Don't mess with a tri-tip too much though, as I found, you don't want to mess with the flavour of the meat too much.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

personally for grilling i love George Hirsch. Used to have a show on pbs... made some great dishes on the Q, then he went on this healthy living kick and the rest was history =/

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
It's beer:30!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninUs
Tri-tip is awesome, but like you said hard to find. I wanted to treat my family in Canada to a little Santa Maria Style BBQ (search the web for SMS grilling tips) and I couldn't find a butcher who knew the cut.
I'm not sure if you have Trader Joe's in your area but I was just there today and saw that they had several tri tips. I wanted to pick one up but the wife gets p.o.'d when I go for a few things and come back with many. Anyway, I saw it and it made me think of this thread.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:12 AM
CaninUs

We have Trader Joe's but they don't carry tri-tip because every other place that sells meat in this area has tri-tip on sale.