Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Bassin Dad

Thumbs up I love cook books!!

I love to cookand Imi not your typical "male grillmaster".

I love all kinds of cooking. Yeah I love my grill and smoker, but I also make some great salmon dishes, great chocolate mousse, and a killer cheesecake!! Our friends all love my cooking yet they look at me a little sideways when they see me sitting and actually readding a cookbook when Im not cooking. I have a bunch of great books but my favorites are actually an older version of "The Joy of Cooking" and "Fanny Farmer Baking Book". Both are full of great information you cant find in ordinary cook books and also has listings of substitutes and conversions as well as decriptions of cooking techniques, cuts of meat, and those little things you wouldnt know unless you have been to culinary school or have beena pro for a while. Foodtv.com is an endless sorce of info as well!!!

What are some of yourfavorite books out there?? Do you have a "signature dish"??
Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
It's beer:30!

Bassin Dad - too funny. I just started a thread on my BBQ forum asking everyone what was their "signature dish is". Swear to god.

My mom said when I was a kid, before I could even read, I would yank out her cookbooks and look at them for hours on end. Apparently my favorite was a Betty Crocker cook book. Well for my 30th b-day a few years ago she got the idea to look for it for me. She could only find it on Ebay and got into a bidding war and spent about $250 on it!

My "signature dish" changes from time to time, but for the last year or so it's been a pork loin (or tenderloin) rubbed with a paste of rosemary, oregano, garlic, kosher salt, fresh pepper, and olive oil, and grilled over indirect heat for a couple hours. It's easy, fairly cheap, and can feed a good sized dinner party.

BTW, I'm smoking a slab of ribs right now! I'm going to grill some prunes wrapped with bacon for an appetizer, as well as some smoked jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, cilantro, and lime juice.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM

What kind of grillers/smokers do you have?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Bassin Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
I'm going to grill some prunes wrapped with bacon for an appetizer
:shock: WTF???

I do love to use my smoker..a cheap propane fired...I know I know, but its easy to use...smoker that looks like a locker. I forget the brand. Ihavent tried the loin..I usually go for the ribs or pulled pork. I find myself getting antsy with the pork butt and not leaving it long enough.

A couple of years ago for thanksgiving we had a crew of about 30 or so people at my hotel, friends and family. I fried two turkeys and smoked 2 turkeys. No leftovers there!!!!=P~

Wheres your BBQ site??

My grill is an old basic gas grill. a Fiesta. I chose it mostly because it was the only one with the thick cast iron grates. They hold heat better than those thin steel bar ones. It was on sale as well.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:21 PM

You gotta leave that pork butt alone! Use a probe thermometer, it's the only way to know for doneness. For unbelievable pulled pork, you have to let the internal temp get to about 200*, then let it rest covered for at least an hour. I did an 8lb pork butt a couple weeks ago and I'm still eating leftover sammiches!

Try the grilled prunes, just buy a bag of prunes from your produce, cut some strips of bacon to about 3", wrapped the bacon around, push a skewer thru then and grill til the bacon is done. Good combo of sweet and salty, just a nice little snack while you're grilling.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Super Duper Daddy

I highly recommend the No Cook Pasta Sauce book. Quick, fresh, easy, delicious past meals. Our favorite is the tuna with lemon and capers. Yum!

Glad to see there's another cheesecake man here. I love makin cheesecakes. I love makin beer too!

Any fans of "Good Eats"? I really like that show.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Pimp Extrodinaire

Send a message via AIM to Bollux Send a message via Yahoo to Bollux

alton brown ftw!

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking" Benjamin Franklin

"Oh... no way....ninja old people!" Ben "10" Tennyson
Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Bassin Dad

I have learned more from Good Eats than any other show!!! Great information there. I highly recomend it.

I have one of those remote probe thermometers but it stopped working!? It was great when it did work. I could bput something in the smoker or grill, set up the probe and sending unit, end put the reciever in the house! Id set the alarm for a target temp and Id be golden.

200 degrees eh?? Ill remember that!! Hell it still tasted great!

Oh yeah....Real men can make cheesecake!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Bass - ya you have to be careful with those probe-thermos. I just had one burn out on me AGAIN. But I called the manufacturer and they sent me a new one. I had one that lasted for years. I dropped it, cracked it, left it out in the icy and snow, it took a beating but finally gave out last year. But ever since, I've gone thru like 4 of them in the last year alone!

They dont take high or direct heat very well. I only use my proble when my oven/grill temp is going to be below 350, and I make sure to keep the cable away from the coals. They are delicate but well worth it because it's the most precise way to tell for doneness. I wouldn't be without one (ok I own 3).

Get your Butt up to 200* and it will fall apart without any effort. :shock: sounds funny.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Bassin Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post

Get your Butt up to 200* and it will fall apart without any effort.
You leave my personal life out of this!!!!#-o laughing