Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Default What do you hope to share with your kids

What kind of "special" activities do you hope to share or are sharing with your kids as they grow older. We all have things we really enjoy and I know that many of them I plan to share with Bubbers as he gets old enough.

Some of the things I plan on sharing with him:

Cooking. He already "helps" me cook by putting things in pots, carrying items from the pantry to the counter, etc.

Woodworking

Martial Arts. When I was a teen I came within 3 testings of earning my black belt and when Bubbers gets old enough I plan on enrolling us into a family class.

Gardening: The edible kind of course ;)

Reading. I love books and as things stand now it won't be a problem getting him to read on his own as he loves books too. If we do not spend at least 30 minutes a day reading he does not feel like his day is complete.

The newest sci-fi site in town www.colessfa.com
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Super Daddy

Send a message via MSN to troy00690

I hope that my kids learn that you don't have to stress about everything. Your not always going to get a royal flush so play the had your delt and do your best. I am a very easy going person and always look on the positive side fo things. There is a possitive out come if you are thinking in the right direction.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Certified Shit remover

-Fishing {Can't wait to take the boys shark fishing for first time}
-Watching Pro Rodeo on T.V, there grandfather was a pro rodeo cowboy for -17 years, he won Madison Square Garden in 1971.
-Watching the Yankees w/ my boys.
-Spending summers down the Joisey shore
-Teaching them to ride a bike
-Enjoying nature w/ them

Alex 11 Autistic-Seizure Disorder-Shawn 10 -Brendin 7-John- 6 Autistic/ADD
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
getting younger every day

Send a message via Yahoo to chuck

So much to share!
-fishing
-woodworking
-computers/electronics
-music
-model building
-fish (as in aquariums)
-love of nature in general
-camping
-creative arts (painting,modeling,design)
-all aspects of house maintenance
-cooking

Now for a little insight being my son is older than most of your kids, and my daughter as old as some of you, start as early as possible with this kind of stuff, never assume they are to young, they will surprise you! Before you know it they will be playing soccer/t-ball/scouts/CCD/dance/gymnastics/ school and before you know it they are so busy they don't have time to fool around with some of this stuff, I do my best to fit this stuff in as often as possible, of course scouts helps allot as many of these things are part of scouting, but there is nothing like just jumping in the truck and heading for the bay to walk in the muck to see what we can find! Savor these moments and make time for them! Some of the finest moments I ever had with my daughter were building models of aircraft carriers!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Just glad to be here

Nice topic, Jim.

Reading. We're big readers and the house is full of books. Even though they can't read yet, the kids love their books. We go to the library regularly.

Arts. Pottery, painting, arts and crafts, music, plays... We've taken to dancing every night after dinner to the sattelite radio via TV. We're not big dancers (I suck at it), but the kids have a blast. Tonight, we danced to Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, and some hip-hop.

Nature. We try to get outside as much as possible. Mom gets the kids to help w/the garden and we walk to the stream often.

Travelling. I'm looking forward to visiting places w/the kids when they're a bit older and can remember things -- DC, Europe, Grand Canyon, etc.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
It's beer:30!

International travel. I want my kids to see the world and have a better understanding of different cultures and how so many people can be happier living on so much less than Americans. I dont think enough people get to see things from another culture's perspective. We're too worried about the new iPod or latest greateest video game. I really want my kids to see the bigger picture.

Travel, cultures, and all things geography are big themes around here.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Just glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
International travel. I want my kids to see the world and have a better understanding of different cultures and how so many people can be happier living on so much less than Americans. I dont think enough people get to see things from another culture's perspective. We're too worried about the new iPod or latest greateest video game. I really want my kids to see the bigger picture.
Great points. We often remind our oldest of the differences in cultures and means. At dinner tonight, she said she wanted to eat pasta every night. My wife took the opportunity to talk about how some people eat only rice and beans every day. We've also shown her a great book called Material World --which shows and discusses the material possessions of families from all over the world. Highly recommended. This too: Hungry Planet.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:14 AM
It's beer:30!

NCD - I'll have to check out those books. Thanks.

Just the other night my wife and I were talking about how we can instill some interest with the kids in the subject. I came up with the idea of having theme nights. Maybe one night a month we'll do a theme on a country; since we love to cook we'd make some food from the chosen region, talk about it, do some fun research with the kids on it, get dressed up in traditional garb. Granted it would be several years away, but talking about it now just shows how important it is to us.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 AM
getting younger every day

Send a message via Yahoo to chuck

might I suggest coin collecting as well, my son really enjoys it and being my sister is in the foreign service and travels all over she is always sending him coins from all over this defiantly stirs his interest, we get out the glob and find the country than look the coin up on the net to see what it is, very good for teaching about other cultures, it's always a treat for my sister when she is home to have him ask her questions about where she was when she got the coins and actually have a little knowledge so he understands what she is talking about.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Career SAHD

Boy, is this ever where it can start paying off spending all these years with them, guys. I've had an awesome summer so far, exploring the mountains with the boys. Our oldest went on this epic adventure last weekend with me, to this hidden alpine lake tucked up where few know about it, no trails. It was really tough. I'd wanted to get to it for years, in fact we tried a few years ago and were cliffed out. We found hidden waterfalls, scrambled up steep slopes, bushwhacked through extremely thick woods in grizzly country, and skinny dipped in the lake with the leaches. His pace and excitement about it all kept right up with mine, was really cool. We've climbed peaks, boated some, mountain biked, crossed swift streams up to his waist this summer. Our 5 yr. old is getting into it too, already done some of all that too.

Yea, I like the other cultures idea too Cubfan. My MIL spent 2 years in Africa in the Peace Corps, at age 65. She's good at relating what it's like to eat just fish and rice 3 times a day. We are definitely spoiled rotten as Americans.

Reading is almost an obsession with our 8 year old, wish I had his focus on that one! Woodworking and automotive stuff will be great too. All of it's fun, no doubt.