Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM
It's beer:30!

Default Healty / Weight Loss Meal Ideas

Boys - in tandem with the Weight Loss thread in the General Topic area, I think we should dedicate some space to share some healthy recipes, or even just healthy meal ideas.

For example; my breakfasts lately basically look like this:

1. Old fashion oatmeal with bananas, walnuts, cinnamon, dates/prunes/raisins

2. Low-fat plain yogurt with home made granola (made with oats, honey, almonds), some fruits thrown in for flavor (because plain yogurt takes some getting used to!)

3. scrambled eggs with veggies sauteed in olive oil

For lunch I just had:

- whole wheat spaghetti with canned diced tomatos, asparagus, and a splash of olive oil.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Dad+Student=Gray Hair!

Not so much a recipe as a notion...only make what you will eat, screw the leftovers. Figure out who is eating, do the math, and make only what "should" be consumed, plus a 1/2 serving more for the kids if they might like it.

A typical serving of meat is 4 oz., that is about the size of a deck of playing cards. I have been opening our frozen steaks, which are 2 in a pack, and taking one out and leaving the other in the freezer. This has cut down on our portions and waste nicely. I've also figured out that I can cut some recipes in half and we are perfectly fine with an extra serving of veggies.

Finding yourself hungry later? Keep a bowl of fruit on the table, at room temperature. It is good fiber, good eats, and won't pack on the pounds.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:36 PM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Two Favorite things for me... I Love PASTA and I LOVE POTATOES... So here are two simple recipes I enjoy. I will put the Weight Watchers Point Values for reference... (FYI 1 Ounce of Chicken = 1 WW Point)

Hash Brown Skillet... (WW 5-6 Points depending on eggs vs Egg Beaters)

2 Cups of Shredded Potatoes. (Oreida Hash Browns Work well)
3 Cups of Mixed Veggies (Onions, Peppers, Mushrooms, Spinach, Broccoli...)
2 Links Boca Sausage or two slices of boiled ham diced
1 Egg or 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
Dried Red Peepers! (Add to taste)

Heat a large non stick skillet HOT!
Add 1 Tsp Oil and coat sides
Add Hash Browns... Cook them about 75 % done. (If they stick add WATER not oil)
Add Veggies, Red Pepper and meat cook until the veggies are cooked, not soggy
Make a ring with the food in the pan and clear the pan in the center.
Add EGG! Cook and then mix with food WELL!!!
Let cool a minute serve...

Pasta Veggie (WW 5 Points)

1/2 Cup Marinara Sauce
1 Cup Cooked Pasta
3 Cups Mixed Veggies. (Green Beans work GREAT!!!)

In a pan cook veggies with water.
Add Pasta and Sauce.
Heat for a short time.
Serve.
MAKES A TON OF FOOD!!!

If I were to eat Pasta or Rice I now use French Cut Green Beans and Zucchini as filler. Zuc is the greatest...Takes the flavor of what you cook it in... Adding a cup of veggies to a cup of rice or pasta adds a ton of food at little to no calories...

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM
SAHD to RN

I disagree. I think you should make plenty of leftovers (assuming you're making healthy meals). You just need the discipline to only eat one helping/serving per meal.

If you make leftovers, then when you don't feel like cooking you'll have a good, healthy pre-made meal on standby. It's just too easy to eat crap if you don't feel like putting the effort to cook something healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerDad View Post
Not so much a recipe as a notion...only make what you will eat, screw the leftovers. Figure out who is eating, do the math, and make only what "should" be consumed, plus a 1/2 serving more for the kids if they might like it.

I agree....load up those steamed veggies...eat a mountain of 'em if you want to! They fill ya up and are good for you...just don't load 'em up with butter like my FIL.

Quote:
I've also figured out that I can cut some recipes in half and we are perfectly fine with an extra serving of veggies.

Agreed.
Quote:
Finding yourself hungry later? Keep a bowl of fruit on the table, at room temperature. It is good fiber, good eats, and won't pack on the pounds.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Dad+Student=Gray Hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDon View Post
I disagree. I think you should make plenty of leftovers (assuming you're making healthy meals). You just need the discipline to only eat one helping/serving per meal.
I think the very fact that we have this thread (and the parent thread) demonstrates that for some of us, the food may not ever reach the "leftover stage" and instead turns into a double portion. That is what happens to me, I see a small portion left, and I know it is too little to ever be reheated or use in another meal, so rather than waste it, I eat it.

The only way the "plenty of leftovers" option would work for us is if I actually made more food.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM
SAHD to RN

Yeah, what I'm saying is make a bunch more food.

A good solution to your problem is to immediately store the extra food away...everything except for what you'll be eating for dinner that night.

For example, if you're making skinless-boneless chicken breasts..cook up 8 of them. Immediately put 5 in tupperware in the fridge or in ziplock baggies and in the freezer. That leaves 3: one for you, one for your wife and one for the kids to split.

One of the hardest things I had to learn to do was to NOT eat the leftover food on the kids plates. If it's a consistant problem, put less on their plate to begin with. I know it sounds simple, just something I've realized...I always overestimate. It took awhile, but now I'd just rather throw out a half cupful of pasta or a 1/4 chicken breast than eat it and pack it on in the form of love handles. Or better yet, put THAT in a plastic baggie or tupperware and save it for the kids lunch one of the next few days.

Quote:
I think the very fact that we have this thread (and the parent thread) demonstrates that for some of us, the food may not ever reach the "leftover stage" and instead turns into a double portion. That is what happens to me, I see a small portion left, and I know it is too little to ever be reheated or use in another meal, so rather than waste it, I eat it.

The only way the "plenty of leftovers" option would work for us is if I actually made more food.
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
leave us cool kids alone as we sing about testicles.
Boy (2004), Girl (2006)
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM

Not that I'm taking sides here, but I tend to eat everything in front of me too. Portion control is probably my biggest problem. Making smaller portions might be the only way for me to control how much I eat at a sitting.

Plus I'm a bit of food snob when it comes to leftovers. There are only a few dishes I like to eat as leftovers.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 AM
My Trike Kicks @$$

Send a message via ICQ to DarthDaddy Send a message via AIM to DarthDaddy Send a message via MSN to DarthDaddy Send a message via Yahoo to DarthDaddy

Quote:
I think the very fact that we have this thread (and the parent thread) demonstrates that for some of us, the food may not ever reach the "leftover stage" and instead turns into a double portion
O :music3:

I think this is starting to sound like a comic routine... "The Beer Belly Comedy Tour Rides Again"

XBOX LIVE ID: WONKEMTEL

Mmmmmm....Pancakes!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 AM
It's too quiet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Not that I'm taking sides here, but I tend to eat everything in front of me too.
This is what happened to me after quitting smoking. I let myself believe it was ok cause I was doing something for my longer-term health. Now, having never really had issues with weight, I find myself in undiscovered country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Plus I'm a bit of food snob when it comes to leftovers. There are only a few dishes I like to eat as leftovers.
Me too...I hate leftovers.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Let's try to keep this a thread about recipes and meals and not a discussion, as we have that already in the 'general' area.. I know, I know, I posted banter here too, I'm guilty. :-\"