Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Other Stuff > Recipes
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Dad+Student=Gray Hair!

Default Appetizer - Broccoli Bites

I saw a recipe in some magazine at my in-laws house over Christmas, but I couldn't recall the exact stuff, so I winged it. It turned out pretty good, and it is simple, which are two essentials for good appetizers in my book.

1 pack of crescent roll dough
1 cup of frozen broccoli florets - thawed and patted dry
Cheese - pick your favorite kind (that will actually taste good with broccoli)
Cupcake pan

Here's the gist:

Slice some of your favorite cheese into squares that are about 1" by 1" and to whatever "normal" thickness you like.

Pop the tube and unroll the crescent roll dough, separating it into the triangles. Then you cut each triangle in half, cutting from the midpoint of the long side to the opposite angle, making 2 smaller triangles out of each bigger one.

*Preheat the oven to whatever the crescent recipe says on the directions.*

Lay the small dough triangles on a flat surface. Put 1-2 florets in the center of the triangle so that they reach the long side and the opposite angle. Slap one of the cheese squares on top of it and fold the side angles over the top, tucking each corner under the opposing side. (Think: pinning a cloth diaper)

When the bite is folded, there should be a little bit of broccoli and cheese pointing out, but most of it will be covered by dough.

Place the bites into a *lightly* oiled cupcake pan. Most of the crescent dough won't stick, and most of the cupcake pans now are non-stick anyway, but I used reduced-fat dough and wanted to be safe so I spritzed the bottoms of the cups with Canola Oil spray.

Bake according to the directions from the dough container, or until the breading has turned a golden brown. (Approx. 10 min @ 375)

Pop 'em out and serve warm.