Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Super Duper Daddy

Lolz!
Father to Joseph, 3/11/2007
Old 05-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Beer me!

Send a message via Yahoo to tt3

BOOM zing!

Where's the badabum drum smilie?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Duper Daddy

The weather this weekend was beautiful. In addition to the "rails to trails" that I regularly bike on there are several nice parks that Justin and I like to frequent. One of them is a small lake in a neighboring township which has a walking path that goes entirely around it. Lots of people like to fish and boat there - and I have even seen a couple of guys sitting near the water playing guitar. Seeing all that makes me nostalgic.

I grew up living next to a lake near the Poconos. During the summers I used to boat a lot. I had a rubber raft that would double as an air mattress for my cabin tent that I lived in during the summer months. My mom had a minifish - which is a small sailboat with a removable mast and keel that I used to love tacking back and forth in. In my teens my friends and I would go out on canoes and paddleboats across the water to the wilderness side of the lake where we had a rope swing that hung out over the water. Then late at night after the Deadheads from down the street who had come over to roast marshmallows and weenies in the fire pit had stumbled home to pass out I'd stay out by the water and play Led Zeppelin tunes on my acoustic by the water.

Don't get me wrong: there are things I love about life nowadays even still, but I feel like my kids are missing out on stuff that I used to take for granted. I love taking Justin on these walks during the summer months but we'll never go on a camping trip. He'd run off and the rest of us are too soft to "rough it." It didn't hit me how soft we were until one day Joey asked if I'd ever seen a lilly pad. It brought back many memories of boating in the summer and trying to avoid those pesky things with their long stems and weird looking roots. All I could say was "yes, I have" and "did you know that they have yellow flowers?" He only knows about them from Minecraft.

There's little chance that we'll ever go on any "scenic" trips. Even my wife won't stay in less than a 3 star hotel. Once I mentioned to my wife about renting a Winnebago after the kids move out and she looked horrified!

Sooo, all I can do now is enjoy these few hours during the day where I can unwind. One of these days when I'm too sore to bike I'm thinking of taking one of my acoustic guitars to that lake park.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Kwak, call that one " ode to summer" I want a Winnie too. My wife, yeah NO.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Just Dad

Yeah, I could use a dad weekend in the mountains. Campfire, music, beer, ah... peace and quiet.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Had a great time at the Great Swamp Outdoor Education Center. Geo cached a treasure box, took An item, left an item, learned about birds and plants and aquatic life. Had a nice picnic lunch at the pow wow circle. Beautiful I tell ya.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Justin has spontaneously puked 3 of the last 4 days - with yesterday being the off day. He's not visibly sick and doesn't lack for energy. It just that after lunch or dinner he starts hacking and spewing. Then an hour passes and he gets mustard butt. What gives? Can a stomach bug last longer than 3 days?

Last edited by Kwak; 05-31-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
Justin has spontaneously puked 3 of the last 4 days - with yesterday being the off day. He's not visibly sick and doesn't lack for energy. It just that after lunch or dinner he starts hacking and spewing. Then an hour passes and he gets mustard butt. What gives? Can a stomach bug last longer than 3 days?
Go to webmd?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Expecting both someone here to clean the gutters, as well as delivery of a workbench/garage organization system today. What are the odds bot will show up right as I have to go pick up Gabe from preK?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Go to webmd?
I did. There was too much information. Near as I can tell it's not viral. That's about it. If it were I'd be in a world of hurt after mopping up after him 3 of the last 4 days.

Maybe it's the food but you know my stance on that has been busted. The only thing I can think of is that he just plain eats too fast. He also NEVER sits still. He kind of flits around like a bird and comes in for a landing every so often. Afterward he literally bounces around the place. At two it was troublesome but at age 11, 5' tall and 75 pounds and high unfocused energy with bouts of intermittent explosive behaviors (my current buzzword for his behavior) his eating is now "high impact." Give him rice and five minutes later there's a pool of pilaf in the parlor. Give him chicken and five minutes later there's chunks on the kitchen floor.

So this morning when he asked for oatmeal I wondered if I made it runny enough that I could mop it up afterward? Well, I had my wife by the rice variety by Chex (that just so happens to be gluten free) and he seems to have kept it down. Then he started asking for breakfast sausage and I put the breaks on quick because even if he isn't sick they often end up on the floor anyway. I waited another hour then made him some toast and scrambled eggs to see if I could get something a little hardier into him. Now I'm sitting and waiting. The bouncing has ceased at least.