Stay at Home Daddad stays home Stay at home Dad Books Available at Amazon

Fishing Gear

Go Back   Stay at Home Dads Forum > Daddy Stuff > General Posts
Register FAQ VB Image Host More Stuff Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Back up your data/system before installing windows 10. They always have little glitches. If the install don't go as planned, and you didnt back up your data....
Hah, yeah. Storage is cheap. Backing up is easy (boring, but easy). Should always try and keep some relatively fresh backups (ugh, the ghost of IT jobs past is whispering in my ears). I have several backups. Lost data once. Once. Bad times.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Super Daddy

Wife has her annuaal business trip to San Diego today for a week, so We are all flying Out to the San Diego convention center on the malecon right next to SeaportVillage across from Coronado island.

Since my wife organize the conference every year and fills the convention center and nearby hotels with over 5000 people, The Marriott puts us on the 22nd floor balcony suite ,breakfast Concierge access. (Can I getta "CHA-CHING!?!)

They put my parents right next door at discount rate, and my brother's family A floor or two away. As my parents and brother are all back in the mid west, this is an awesome family gathering.

Wife called the San Diego ALS Association and they are delivering a power wheelchair to the Marriott so I can zoom up and down the Malecon and cruise Seaport Village with the kids.

Last year with my brothers 20-year-old son, and girls 17-year-old, and 14. They returned to Washington with us and took them to Whistler and the did the bobsled and we all did the zipline. Driving back from Whistler, the 14-year-old thru this video together

http://youtu.be/br4pfdFGaes

Last year from balcony:

Last edited by Tomcat; 08-07-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Tuttle Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Tuttle

Man you have a great family Tomcat, you're truly blessed.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:41 AM
Dad in Training

Last night we got back from a week in Chicago. Part holiday and part business. Left last Friday and did touristy type things until Tuesday morning and then attended a music conference until Thursday, and flew back yesterday. While I was at the conference, wife and son headed off to the zoo and science centre. I was pleased that the wife was willing to do that on her own. Since we didn't get a chance last summer, we tried the deep dish pizza this summer. Tried it at two places and I have to say that I prefer Lou Malnati's much better than the Giordano's pizza. I remember someone grumbling about how bad the pizza was in Chicago, was that you Mark? I would have to say I wonder which joint you tried. I can see how it could be pretty bad if it's done/cooked well, but we enjoyed it.

We managed to get to a free symphony concert on Saturday night, which was great. Went up the Hancock observatory, but the tilt was closed for maintenance - I suspect it's more than just maintenance though by what I was hearing.

Went and saw a musical, "Pippin", which was well done. Did a couple of theatre tours and numerous other things. All enjoyable and there is just way too much to do in that city. LOL!!!! We stayed in the Loop area again, but this time at a hotel, rather than the Airbnb. Next time I'd try the Airbnb that we stayed at last summer.

The conference was in the Oak Park area, so it was nice to see the suburbs a bit. A different pace of life, that is for sure. The conference was great and I met many people whose articles I read, or had heard about. Both of my profs were there and so it was nice to meet the one prof in person (the other I had met before and she'll be flying up here in 10 days to do some professional development for us).

Delta Airlines sucks, big time. They overbook their flights and it was questionable on each flight on whether we were going to all get on as a family. We had to change planes at Minn/St. Paul, so went through this process 4 times in total. Why they do that, I have no idea. Fortunately, there were people who volunteered to take a later flight, so we could arrive at our destinations together as a family. Very frustrating to say the least. There are two times where it really looked like they wouldn't let my wife on. She was the last one to board the plane when we went. And near the last yesterday on the return.

Anyway, it was a great time, but we're glad to be home and to have slept in our own beds last night.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Making a couple didges as part of the make a fun musical instrument ideas I got from homeschooling.
(Didgeridoos)
Real simple $12 for 2. Painting them, well that cost a bit more.
Made them from 1 1/2 inch pvc and some add ons.
Check the interweb. They work and people sell them for around $30.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irie feeling View Post
Making a couple didges as part of the make a fun musical instrument ideas I got from homeschooling.
(Didgeridoos)
Real simple $12 for 2. Painting them, well that cost a bit more.
Made them from 1 1/2 inch pvc and some add ons.
Check the interweb. They work and people sell them for around $30.

I have two CDs of Dr Didge.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:36 AM
Just Dad

My dad and I just watched a little bit of the meteor shower tonight. Pretty cool. I never had a view of the night sky like this before, ever. Maybe this place will stay rural enough for my kids to enjoy it one day.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Homeschooling soccer dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
I have two CDs of Dr Didge.
I went to YouTube. How awesome!
Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Super Duper Daddy

Send a message via AIM to gduck Send a message via Yahoo to gduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCubs View Post
My dad and I just watched a little bit of the meteor shower tonight. Pretty cool. I never had a view of the night sky like this before, ever. Maybe this place will stay rural enough for my kids to enjoy it one day.
Nice. I had thought about trying to see some of it, but between travel and lack of sleep the last couple of days it was an early night for me.

Did you just watch it with the naked eye or did you use something for a better view?
Old 08-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Just Dad

Just with good old fashioned eyes. It was a nice little moment of peace for my day, week, month, etc...